lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Gluten free helped my IBS a ton
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    hdatres wrote: »
    Does anyone else have irritable bowel syndrome? How is dieting working for you?

@hdatres I had IBS for 40 years but it left 6 months after cut out sugar and all forms of grains 18 months ago for pain management and has not returned. In my case it was finding the right macro which for 18 months has been 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fats. As you can read that is very different than what others have for a macro that seems to work for them.

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis and IBS/Crohns is common it seems. I got off of sugar and all forms of grain for pain management and was shocked when I realized my LCHF Way Of Eating had resolved my serious IBS or what every it was.

Actually I stopped dieting and just started to eat for better health. Now I am down to 200 from 250 for the first time in 22 years (when I had both hips replaced the same day in 1991). My health and health markers at 65 are better than when I was 45.

Best of success.

• Day_knee
    Day_knee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Day_knee wrote: »
    Sadly, for me nothing has changed. My IBS is not stress related although my stress level rises when I get sick/have an attack. I am on two different medications that are supposed to help...and while they do mildly help...they certainly have not helped to the point that I am symptom free. I don't think I ever will be. I don't work anymore due to how bad it has been, I have had surgeries to remove scar tissue from being wrapped around my intestines. I have been on my new healthy way of life for the past 70 days, lost 11 pounds so far, not as much as I would have liked, but happy none the less with the progress no matter how small, but nothing really seems to work for my IBS. I have trigger foods such as onions, fresh garlic, whole milk or any milk base products and some gluten foods. There are only a couple of greens I can eat or else I have an attack. My life has taken a complete turn for the worst in terms of having this disease. Who ever said it is a "functional disease" does not suffer from it. This disease is NOT FUNCTIONAL. I have a Masters Degree in Addiction Counseling that I worked SO hard for, and I cannot hold a job or help my family financially because of IBS. It is NOT all in my head, the pain is real, the symptoms are real and the only thing I can do is just live and bare it. There is no cure. I do find that starting to eat better, and excising has only put the attacks at bay from maybe twice a week to once a week and the occasional every couple of week attack. I sympathize with anyone who struggles from this terrible disease.

@Day_knee IBS doesn't usually cause scar tissue or physical damage. Are you sure you don't have another disorder? I have tons of scar tissue but I have Crohn's so that isn't unusual.

I think it is called a functional disorder (not disease) because it effects the function/motility but it doesn't cause or is caused by physical damage or disease process like IBD and other GI diseases.

You are right IBS doesn't cause scar tissue I should have been more clear. The scar tissue I have is from multiple surgeries..hysto but only having my uterus removed, then later having ovaries and cervix removed (about 3 years ago). I had endometriosis pretty bad and had so much scar tissue. The last two surgeries were specifically for having scar tissue removed. I had a florascopy ( I believe that's what it's called) so that they could see how fast food past through my intestines..but it also helps detect some adhesions. I had surgery once again to remove the adhesions from around my intestines, which was the most recent surgery back at the end of October of 2015.

IBS is not a disease in the strictest sense, you are right..but it sure should be. I don't know if they call it a functional disorder because it affects the functions or mobility of my normal intestinal movements..My doctor says it's a functional disorder because for the most part people are still able to maintain some form of employment and life and that it's not a disease that is continually causing issues. But for some of us...it's a daily struggle and not just a "sometimes" struggle. It happens for some of us, a flare up, often enough that it is wrecking our lives or our ability to even have a normal life, such as working, traveling, or even sex. This is why I say it is not a functional disorder at all. For those of us who suffer the extreme version of it..it is very depressing.

I defy agree, it gets paralyzing when you feel flare coming on. If that happens in public it's terrifying, so you take some deep breaths to calm yourself down,like you're in labor to try to calm herself from having an accident. And at times I feel nauseous and I do vomit, I memorize where all the bathrooms are in the places I go stores restaurants etc. if I even go. The can have are very limited, no once wants to hire you if you have to use the bathroom 10 to 15 times in a shift. The only jobs that I found that worked for me and housecleaning hotels and hospital cleaning where there is a bathroom readily available when you need it. It doesn't pay much,But right now I'm a stay-at-home housewife. It gets frustrating when uneducated people make comments and basically tell you that you just need to get over it, I would never want anyone to go through this

Yes! I feel your pain. I know where every single bathroom is when I go out. When the pain hits..that pain that you know what's coming..it is just like labor...it's terrible. I am a generally calm person with no anxiety issues....however..when I get a flare up...anxiety naturally occurs. It is hard when people don't understand or just say it's in my head..they have no clue. I honestly wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. It is so debilitating. And work??? yeah...forget about it. No one will hire you if you tell them off the bat you have IBS and may need to leave or be in the bathroom for an hour lol...let alone keep you if you don't tell them and they find you're not doing your job because you're in the bathroom. /sighs...
  • Day_knee
    Options
    lioness803 wrote: »
    Gluten free helped my IBS a ton

Yeah...been there done that. I am glad it works for a lot of people. I wish it worked for me.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It's been a struggle for me for a long while. Sometimes I'll go through periods where it seems to be better, and other times it'll be a little bit worse. I'm at the point where I suspect gluten could potentially be a major culprit, although some of the grain foods I eat are lower in gluten (bread partially made from sprouted flour and other bread made from sourdough).
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Sadly, for me nothing has changed. My IBS is not stress related although my stress level rises when I get sick/have an attack. I am on two different medications that are supposed to help...and while they do mildly help...they certainly have not helped to the point that I am symptom free. I don't think I ever will be. I don't work anymore due to how bad it has been, I have had surgeries to remove scar tissue from being wrapped around my intestines. I have been on my new healthy way of life for the past 70 days, lost 11 pounds so far, not as much as I would have liked, but happy none the less with the progress no matter how small, but nothing really seems to work for my IBS. I have trigger foods such as onions, fresh garlic, whole milk or any milk base products and some gluten foods. There are only a couple of greens I can eat or else I have an attack. My life has taken a complete turn for the worst in terms of having this disease. Who ever said it is a "functional disease" does not suffer from it. This disease is NOT FUNCTIONAL. I have a Masters Degree in Addiction Counseling that I worked SO hard for, and I cannot hold a job or help my family financially because of IBS. It is NOT all in my head, the pain is real, the symptoms are real and the only thing I can do is just live and bare it. There is no cure. I do find that starting to eat better, and excising has only put the attacks at bay from maybe twice a week to once a week and the occasional every couple of week attack. I sympathize with anyone who struggles from this terrible disease.

@Day_knee IBS doesn't usually cause scar tissue or physical damage. Are you sure you don't have another disorder? I have tons of scar tissue but I have Crohn's so that isn't unusual.

I think it is called a functional disorder (not disease) because it effects the function/motility but it doesn't cause or is caused by physical damage or disease process like IBD and other GI diseases.

You are right IBS doesn't cause scar tissue I should have been more clear. The scar tissue I have is from multiple surgeries..hysto but only having my uterus removed, then later having ovaries and cervix removed (about 3 years ago). I had endometriosis pretty bad and had so much scar tissue. The last two surgeries were specifically for having scar tissue removed. I had a florascopy ( I believe that's what it's called) so that they could see how fast food past through my intestines..but it also helps detect some adhesions. I had surgery once again to remove the adhesions from around my intestines, which was the most recent surgery back at the end of October of 2015.

IBS is not a disease in the strictest sense, you are right..but it sure should be. I don't know if they call it a functional disorder because it affects the functions or mobility of my normal intestinal movements..My doctor says it's a functional disorder because for the most part people are still able to maintain some form of employment and life and that it's not a disease that is continually causing issues. But for some of us...it's a daily struggle and not just a "sometimes" struggle. It happens for some of us, a flare up, often enough that it is wrecking our lives or our ability to even have a normal life, such as working, traveling, or even sex. This is why I say it is not a functional disorder at all. For those of us who suffer the extreme version of it..it is very depressing.

I defy agree, it gets paralyzing when you feel flare coming on. If that happens in public it's terrifying, so you take some deep breaths to calm yourself down,like you're in labor to try to calm herself from having an accident. And at times I feel nauseous and I do vomit, I memorize where all the bathrooms are in the places I go stores restaurants etc. if I even go. The can have are very limited, no once wants to hire you if you have to use the bathroom 10 to 15 times in a shift. The only jobs that I found that worked for me and housecleaning hotels and hospital cleaning where there is a bathroom readily available when you need it. It doesn't pay much,But right now I'm a stay-at-home housewife. It gets frustrating when uneducated people make comments and basically tell you that you just need to get over it, I would never want anyone to go through this

I don't know if you are referring to me but I would never say to get over it. Sorry I came off strong in my post. It was not my intention at all.

I'm on disability for Crohn's so I obviously understand the having to run to the bathroom a million times thing, restricted diet and anxiety.

My GI told me the functional disorder was in reference to the fact that it affects the function of the GI system but doesn't cause physical damage to the intestines. Though I have to say my GI is sort of an idiot telling me to eat spinach and red meat (2 of the biggest triggers) to increase my iron level. Sure if I want to end up on the ER lol
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have IBS-D and I find that it is greatly affected by stress. When I have flares I have to avoid coffee, tomatoes, pastas/breads, and certain leafy greens. Luckily I haven't had a flare in about 7 months now.
  • hdatres
    hdatres Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how I could be overweight with IBS I use the bathroom continuously!!!!! Gerrrrrr!!!!!
    I watched a show on TV show called "my strange addictions "a woman ate laxatives all the time ,she continuously use the bathroom and she was very thin, I don't understand.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    It depends on what part of your intestines the fecal matter is in when it gets, um, evacuated. When I am flaring very badly it's my small intestine (and large intestine) that are effected so I don't absorb nutrients from food (I had a blood iron level of zero for months even while taking iron pills). The only way to stop being malnourished at that point is going on tpn (nutrition through a picc line or port that goes directly to your heart and bypasses your gi aystem all together). I still go a lot but a lot of my ulcers are healing (no blood in a few months weeee!) so I absorb food.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have IBS. One of the huge things that helps me is to drink sleepy time tea every night. The chamomile relaxes your system and helps with the intenstional spasms. I try to steer clear of fast food as much as possible. I also avoid overly processed foods, such as lunch meat. If you go with the more expensive brands or the natural unprocessed brands it is better. I only have stuff like that occassionally. Cut out caffeine. Try to make your diet pretty simple. Keep track of what you're eating and if you have symptoms that day review it and see what was different and try to cut that out. The triggers can be different for everyone. Exercise is good as well and finding time to relax and destess.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Also laxative abuse can be associated with eating disorders as a form of purging so she could be thin because of restrictions, etc
  • Antd412
    Antd412 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and have tried a couple medications, but had horrible side effects. I drink a bottle of Ensure after my workout and seems to balance things out. It also has a good amount of protein and curves your hunger.
  • NadiaMayl
    NadiaMayl Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I have IBS and had a horrible time about 4 years ago. So debilitating, I spent a long time searching for help, GI doctors, meds, etc... Nothing was helping, anything I'd eat, sent me running to the bathroom, I was so afraid of stepping out of my house, and the cramps... Oyyy... Finally I found an MD who believes most of our GI issues are related to our environment, food, sensitivities and medications such as antibiotics, birth control, steroids, etc...
    He put me on a Candida diet which always tough! I spent 4 months eating only eggs, vegetables, meat and yogurt (together with some supplements to help kill candida overgrowth)! The first few weeks were so hard, sugar detox, candida die-off effect. But after the second Week, i fell like new! Energy was back, my GI issues were much more under control, I felt so good I didn't mind the stupid diet! I'm not going to lie, it gets boring after a while, and it's hard when going out, but it was so worth it. I call it my reset button! After those months, I slowly introduced other food, low in the glycemic index. That also helped me realize that I have sensitivities towards bell peppers, onions and peaches, plus now I changed to a lactose free milk.
    I will get a flare up once in a while, when under stress, or when I misbehave nutritionally. But NOTHING like before, and I can say I can eat almost everything again. Now, my diet has gone as pure as possible after that. I don't use anything with MSG, I try sauces that are as pure in ingredients as possible, if not I make my own, I don't drink soda, I don't use artificial sweeteners, and I've cut most food with preservatives. I do use white rice and mostly do half and half of white and whole wheat pasta.
    Good luck, it's a horrendous disorder, but one that with discipline, can be helped almost completely. If you're curious, read the Candida Diet by Dr. Trouwbridge, it's even one book through Amazon!
  • moniyq1994
    moniyq1994 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My IBS is mostly caused by stress, anxiety, and poor diet overall. Now that I'm eating better and getting regular excercise it's died down a lot. However when ever I do start getting the symptoms I almost immediately take one of my "Hether's Tummy Tamers" (peppermint oil,fennel oil and ginger oil" and it usually calms down in about an hour or so. Also does anyone else hate it when you tell someone you have IBS and they insist on blaming it on your weight, certain foods (that you've already tried eliminating and it didn't work), or some other ridiculous reason?
  • Day_knee
    Options

I don't know if you are referring to me but I would never say to get over it. Sorry I came off strong in my post. It was not my intention at all.

I'm on disability for Crohn's so I obviously understand the having to run to the bathroom a million times thing, restricted diet and anxiety.

My GI told me the functional disorder was in reference to the fact that it affects the function of the GI system but doesn't cause physical damage to the intestines. Though I have to say my GI is sort of an idiot telling me to eat spinach and red meat (2 of the biggest triggers) to increase my iron level. Sure if I want to end up on the ER lol

Oh my gosh! No..no no..I was not referring or even talking about you lol I am so sorry if it came off that way. I was speaking more general when i said that. I didn't think you said anything like that. I was just saying that there are so many people who don't understand why I cannot work or why I cannot go a lot of places. They think it's all in my head or that I am an anxious person and that is why I have this. I was saying those people make me so upset.
    I always say...look...(to the judgmental) I did not go to Graduate school to work my butt off to be a counselor and never work. I cry when I think about how much I want to work. I am so driven and so motivated and this issue is just so debilitating and I hate it so much.
    I can so appreciate where you are coming from when it comes to understanding about the IBS issue. I am so sorry that it looked like I was upset at your comment. I want to say I am sorry if it came across that way.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Oh my gosh! No..no no..I was not referring or even talking about you lol I am so sorry if it came off that way. I was speaking more general when i said that. I didn't think you said anything like that. I was just saying that there are so many people who don't understand why I cannot work or why I cannot go a lot of places. They think it's all in my head or that I am an anxious person and that is why I have this. I was saying those people make me so upset.
    I always say...look...(to the judgmental) I did not go to Graduate school to work my butt off to be a counselor and never work. I cry when I think about how much I want to work. I am so driven and so motivated and this issue is just so debilitating and I hate it so much.
    I can so appreciate where you are coming from when it comes to understanding about the IBS issue. I am so sorry that it looked like I was upset at your comment. I want to say I am sorry if it came across that way.

No problem. Just want to add that us with IBD ( I actually was diagnosed with IBS 15 years before IBD but don't know if it was a misdiagnosis or not) have similar issues with stigma/shame/being misunderstood. Every time I have a really bad day everyone asks which of my trigger foods did I eat or if my anxiety is high. Um no, some days trigger food=anything made of food. People totally don't get GI disorders until they get one. The additional problem with Crohn's and colitis is that they are autoimmune diseases which effect the entire body and usually cause extreme fatigue and people think I am lazy because there are quite a few days I have to sleep all day.
  • Day_knee
    Options

No problem. Just want to add that us with IBD ( I actually was diagnosed with IBS 15 years before IBD but don't know if it was a misdiagnosis or not) have similar issues with stigma/shame/being misunderstood. Every time I have a really bad day everyone asks which of my trigger foods did I eat or if my anxiety is high. Um no, some days trigger food=anything made of food. People totally don't get GI disorders until they get one. The additional problem with Crohn's and colitis is that they are autoimmune diseases which effect the entire body and usually cause extreme fatigue and people think I am lazy because there are quite a few days I have to sleep all day.

haha YES! People ask me if I ate one of my trigger foods too! I avoid my trigger foods no matter what but it isn't always triggered by those foods either. It's really a catch 22 in terms of eating. People don't understand it unless they have it. Not all people, but the majority really do think it's all in our heads..yeah I wish!! The pain is real...the glued to the bathroom is real...the not working..or traveling..is very very real. I totally understand where you are coming from. After a flare up I am usually out for a couple days..meaning I eat very little, I am exhausted, and it takes time to feel normal again. I wish there was a cure. I have been taking medication for so long and the medication has terrible side affects, like blurred vision, extreme fatigue, dizziness...ugh..one pill I take once a day but the other I have to take 4 times a day and that one is a killer.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Good points @Day_knee. That is why I referred to my prior 40 years of IBS as 'life defining'. Since my IBS fully resolved a year ago I still find myself waiting until the last minute to leave the house 'just in case'. I wish I had learned in my case that cutting out sugar and grains would have resolved my gut issues. People who have not been there have no way to grasp how life defining it can be. I had basically stopped doing sales trips which was not good for income.

When I found the foods that was driving my total body joint and muscle pain and eliminated them the pain when in just 30 days but it took 6 months in my case for my IBS to fully resolve. I was so happy about the pain manage that fixing the IBS really was a surprise bonus.

Best of success.