What calorie count do you use for Pizza?

Options
2»

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Just log a best guess estimate from Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns etc. using a comparable pizza.
  • Trinique34
    Trinique34 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Trinique34 wrote: »
    I make my own pizza on whole wheat totilla shells. I put pizza sauce, then my toppings, then a bit of cheese and you've got delicious low carb low calorie pizza. Bake for 10 mins on 500, then broil for a min to melt cheese. You will not know you're not eating the real thing. One tortilla shell has 70 cals, then you add your toppings and cheese. Two is normally plenty, unless I'm really hungry then I have 3. I use Grimms pizza slices. Very low cal.

klnyef9lrixj.jpg
    91q6zt3fc10v.jpg

I'm surprised a tortilla shell is able to hold the weight of the toppings when you pick it up?

It does. I cut it into four so it's easier to eat. The ends get crispy so it's not soggy. I also only put a small tbsp of pizza sauce. When I first started making it it got soggy because I put too much sauce.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    It depends on the pizza place I go. Most I can find in the system surprisingly even Pizza king but, there is a place here that serves New York style slices so I use the info for sbarro because the size is comparable.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    Curious what everyone uses for a calorie count for a slice of regular thick pizza with cheese/pepperoni.

The only reason I ask is the MAJOR variance in calories in the MFP database.

From 100 calories per slice to 700 calories per slice, it's harden to find a semi-accurate calorie count.

I chose a middle ground at 360 per slice. What do you use?

Have you thought about weighing the slices you eat? I would do that and record it by the ounce or grams. That's what I've done in the past with a generic pizza.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    For pizza I search the nutrition information by the barcode on the package or the website if say,I order out like from a pizza chain. I am still new to learning all the tools on here but I am sure there is an option on here to create your meals if you make your own pizza too. :)
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    All of it.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    Oh well my favorite food !!! I only eat neapolitan style pizza at Italian places - so if they do it correctly , each pizza dough ball is betw 180- 250 grams, tomatoes sauce 60 grams, bufala mozzarella 80g, extra virgin olive oil 4-5 gram , salt and basil. Omg i just want one now!

I think I was watching Food Network about 5-6 years ago and they were showing the history of Pizza Margherita. The show visited a pizzeria in Italy to show how it was done by the natives. I clearly remember thinking 'There is literally nothing on that pizza!'. What I meant was, it wasn't drowning in cheese and 10,000 toppings.

Fast forward to today where I make that pizza every Friday night. Probably the only real thing I do different is add a few more roma tomato slices and way more fresh basil (I luv basil, sry). I also am too cheap to buy 00 flour. I still get good results for my dough with bread flour, so whatever. An alternate version I make just adds a little bit of prosciutto. I really can't stand greasy crust pizza drowning in cheese and heavy meat toppings anymore. Make that bad boy on the grill or in a dedicated outdoor oven. NOM and the calories are much more reasonable. Now I wish today was Friday! Oh well. :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Just log a best guess estimate from Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns etc. using a comparable pizza.

This exactly.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    xLyric wrote: »
    What brand is it? If it's a large enough chain, they should provide their own calorie information, or someone here may be able to help you find it.

But yeah, if I absolutely can't find the same brand, I'll look at pictures of other brands and choose whatever looks the closest, or do what you did and pick in the middle.

Local pizza place :/

They have no idea what calories are in their pizza.

Go for the highest one then. It's likely to be close enough, and in the future plan ahead and go somewhere that the information is available. I always do a pre-meal Google on places to get a look at their menu and nutrition facts
  • Rit1603
    Rit1603 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Rit1603 wrote: »
    Oh well my favorite food !!! I only eat neapolitan style pizza at Italian places - so if they do it correctly , each pizza dough ball is betw 180- 250 grams, tomatoes sauce 60 grams, bufala mozzarella 80g, extra virgin olive oil 4-5 gram , salt and basil. Omg i just want one now!

I think I was watching Food Network about 5-6 years ago and they were showing the history of Pizza Margherita. The show visited a pizzeria in Italy to show how it was done by the natives. I clearly remember thinking 'There is literally nothing on that pizza!'. What I meant was, it wasn't drowning in cheese and 10,000 toppings.

Fast forward to today where I make that pizza every Friday night. Probably the only real thing I do different is add a few more roma tomato slices and way more fresh basil (I luv basil, sry). I also am too cheap to buy 00 flour. I still get good results for my dough with bread flour, so whatever. An alternate version I make just adds a little bit of prosciutto. I really can't stand greasy crust pizza drowning in cheese and heavy meat toppings anymore. Make that bad boy on the grill or in a dedicated outdoor oven. NOM and the calories are much more reasonable. Now I wish today was Friday! Oh well. :)

Me too !!! i could eat it everyday, but i don't count cos I am Italian (born and raised) and i could eat pizza and pasta everyday. I actually digest pasta like if it is water!!! Its amazing i could eat like a 300 grams and feel so light ( of course I don't do that)
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    We use a local indie pizza restaurant, too, Generally, I find something close and estimate. Early on, I took a leftover slice, broke it down and weighed each ingredient, checked it against the USDA database and added it up, then found an entry in the MFP database that's close.

Yes, I do the pita-bread in the oven homemade pizza, too, but it's not REAL pizza, and sometimes, I need real pizza. lol
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Go to the grocery store, pick a pizza that looks the most like the pizza you get at your local pizza place, and just log that. It's about as close as you'll get.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    We use a local indie pizza restaurant, too, Generally, I find something close and estimate. Early on, I took a leftover slice, broke it down and weighed each ingredient, checked it against the USDA database and added it up, then found an entry in the MFP database that's close.

Yes, I do the pita-bread in the oven homemade pizza, too, but it's not REAL pizza, and sometimes, I need real pizza. lol

It isn't rocket science to make your own pizza. I make mine from scratch every Friday. I make the dough sometime on the weekend, divide it into balls, freeze it for later. Friday morning, I take out as many dough balls as I need and put them in the fridge to defrost. Come home, fire up the grill, get out my toppings, stop to make a mixed drink, roll out dough, sauce, top, throw on the grill, wait 5-9 minutes, enjoy!
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    New York Slices are huge, from the few times I've actually weighted one they clock in anywhere from around 400-600 calories per slice. But to be honest, I normally just put in 400 calories and move on with my life. I rarely have pizza, and if I do it's normally with friends or a special occasion so I don't worry too much about it.