When will you be done with MFP?

Options
I've read quite a few comments that say you aren't supposed use this app forever to log your food.

What do y'all think? Is there a time limit on this tool? When would you feel comfortable not using MFP?

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for nearly two years. Every now and then I plan to stop, but I just can't! I like seeing the numbers, plus I have my fitbit synced with mfp which gives me extra data.

I guess logging is like a security blanket for me, it shows me I'm on the right track.
  • lc355
    lc355 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Couldn't imagine life without it, what a scary thought.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    lc355 wrote: »
    Couldn't imagine life without it, what a scary thought.

I know right!! The thought of guesstimating makes me twitch :lol:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Probably never, or the day I give up and decide that I don't care about being fat again.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different some Ppl who log forever and some Ppl will be able to grasp maintenance quickly and without assistance. I will probably do it forever because it gives me data and keeps me in control but, I have no eating disorders or problems with control so that has some bearing on it.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I will probably need to at least log occasionally forever.
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It's always funny to me how someone would say you can't do something that promotes a healthier lifestyle forever. Why not? You can do it as long as you want to.

I never hear anybody say "You can't drink beer forever" and I know people who drink it daily! LMBO. No shade to the OP, it's just funny how that works.
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have only been using this site faithfully for a few months, but I think I will probably use it for the foreseeable future. I know I'll be much more successful in losing weight and maintaining a loss if I track what I'm eating, and acknowledging what works for me.

Right now, MFP works for me, and I can't imagine that it will ever stop working for me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I think it's better to just stop when you feel confident you can live without it. When it seems like a chore AND totally unnecessary, that's a hint. I got there this summer (last summer? 2015 :# ). But I still plan/log in a spreadsheet, to get variety while reducing waste.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    MABMomma wrote: »
    I've read quite a few comments that say you aren't supposed use this app forever to log your food.

What do y'all think? Is there a time limit on this tool? When would you feel comfortable not using MFP?

I've never heard that before.... hm.... I'll use it until I don't... I really don't think about not using it, I simply log in and use it and then go on with my day.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I'll likely set it to maintenance and keep on it forever, once I hit my weight loss goal. I've already lost a lot of weight before and then gained much of it back slowly over the course of a few years, so I don't want that to happen again.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I think once I get about to where I want to be, I'll probably go to logging every other week for a couple months and then see if it makes sense to keep cutting back from there.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    I'm always going to track my food, makes life so much easier for me.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Well, I could quit MFP anytime, but not calorie counting.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    NEVER, I WILL NEVER LEAVE MFP AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME >:)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    I'll likely set it to maintenance and keep on it forever, once I hit my weight loss goal. I've already lost a lot of weight before and then gained much of it back slowly over the course of a few years, so I don't want that to happen again.
    This.

MFP lets me track my calorie budget. I track my money budget closely, so why shouldn't I track my calorie budget?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    MABMomma wrote: »

I haven't logged in about three years come mid April. IMO, it's kind of like training wheels on a bike...you should use them to learn but eventually you should be able to take what you've learned and apply it...and just ride. When I went to maintenance a few years ago, I pretty quickly realized that I didn't need to log anything anymore.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I love mfp and logging my food, I plan on using it for the foreseeable future, regardless of if I have weight to lose. I love the awareness.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I don't want to do this forever. It's not the right choice for me. For me, it's about learning how to live a healthy and active lifestyle permanently. Not the 1200 calorie "lifestyle changes" that lots of people here just use as a synonym for crash diet. Actually changing my life. So although I'm nowhere near maintenance, I'm already going in with the idea that this is a tool and eventually, I'd like to transition off of it.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    When I'm dead. I'm not going to stop logging my food.