Can I eat right after a workout?

Options
I usually workout from 5:30-7:00 during the week. I don't like eating meals that late but I also want to make sure I eat something after my workouts. Is there any problem with eating a light snack immediately following my workout? Like within 10-15 minutes?

Replies

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Go for it.
    Many dont recommend eating right before a workout.
    Happy eating!!
  • Julien321
    Julien321 Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It is an individual need. Some get nauseous from eating before and some from not eating. I usually do weights in the morning and have >700 kcal breakfast about an hour before. I can't workout without lots of fuel in the tank.

You will need to experiment and see what works best for your individual situation.

EDIT: Also you should eat after. Some high quality protein is a MUST after weight training.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    She's talking about eating AFTER.

I don't see why not, there is nothing wrong with eating later in the evening despite the old wives' tales about "don't eat after 6pm" etc. I understand not wanting to go to bed on a full stomach, but something light and well rounded won't hurt.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I try to take in a bunch of carbs and protein right after a hard ride. The protein is to help repair damage to muscle tissue, the carbs are to replenish depleted glycogen. From what I've heard, it's best to take in carbs immediately (within about an hour) after a hard workout.

My favorite is a smoothie. Bag and a half of frozen raspberries, protein powder or peanut butter, and milk. Sometimes honey. Tastes like a sorbet. Delicious and filling, really nice on a hot day, and full of stuff that helps me recover from my effort. Try one, also try other stuff, see what works best for you.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    You'll get cramps in the pool.
  • essterne
    essterne Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have a small cup of chocolate milk after workouts. You need to replenish some of the resources you expended with all your hard work!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you feel it works best for you. Meal timing has NO impact on your weight loss/gain/maintenance.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    You'll get cramps in the pool.

Hahahahahaha
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I eat my dinner every night around 8:30...I'm still alive and haven't turned into a gremlin or anything like that.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    My last meal ends up being around 930/10 sometimes I think you'll be just fine and you need the food post-workout.