1000 calorie burn?!

Options
Normally I do my Daily Burn videos 4-5 times a week, even if it's just a quick 15 min yoga video, I find that it helps me feel better and motivates me to keep eating healthier.

This week I'm on the road for work and haven't been able to do them, due to the app not letting me play them when not on wifi . So instead I've been using my phone data to do some YouTube videos.

I found this one this morning that claims you burn 1000 calories (it's an hour long)

http://youtu.be/ubT6qNnUmQw

Whether or not that calorie burn is accurate, (do you think it is?) let me tell you, this video kicked my butt!! I couldn't keep up with it entirely, but it's one I will go back to and work on trying to complete. I've seen a few people ask about excersize videos, so just wanted to share :)

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn depends on lots of factors (weight, effort, etc).
    Quick scan through and I can say I very much doubt it'd get close to that for me (122lb woman who has a tendency to get lazy doing these kind of things if there's no real life human to shout at me). It'd take me around an hour and 45 minutes of running to burn 1,000 calories.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    do you think it is?

Not a chance.

I'm 160lbs so that's a good ten mile run for me, so about 90 minutes.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Highly doubt it. Takes me around 8mi to hit 1k with pace around 7:25/mi
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've done a few of the fitness blender 1,000 calorie workouts and while I think there's a potential to burn that much, most of us do not. You'd have to go flat out, in the toughest version of every exercise, through the whole workout.

I count each section separately and end up just under the lowest estimate they give. It's all guessing because I don't have a heart monitor, but on the weeks I've done one of those, I've loss exactly according to schedule, eating back about 75% of my calories recorded.

They're wicked workouts.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    For any human to burn 1,000 Cal/hour on a bike, they would have to maintain an average of 276 watts for a full hour. I'm an avid cyclist and that's more than I'm capable of; if I try, I'll fatigue and have no choice but to reduce my effort. Most people who aren't dedicated endurance athletes can't. You just wind up going at a lesser intensity and burning fewer calories.

Another fact: lots of devices, companies, web sites, etc, make fantastic promises.

Put it all together and I really doubt it.
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever burned 1000 calories in an hour using a HRM was when I did a duathlon.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    do you think it is?

Not a chance.

I'm 160lbs so that's a good ten mile run for me, so about 90 minutes.

You took the words out of my mouth.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Nope...perhaps half if even that....

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    No way on the burn...I'm a pretty avid endurance cyclist and pretty fit and there's still no way I could sustain the level of effort over the course of an hour that would be necessary to burn 1,000 calories.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's all guessing because I don't have a heart monitor,

And with an HRM you'd be pretty much guessing as well. HR isn't a meaningful indicator of calorie expenditure in this kind of situation.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    It's all guessing because I don't have a heart monitor,

And with an HRM you'd be pretty much guessing as well. HR isn't a meaningful indicator of calorie expenditure in this kind of situation.

True.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Push up jacks look like they are from the devil.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    These types of workouts are the equivalent of crash diets. They are not maintainable. Just do something half as hard for twice as long and burn the same amount. No need to kill yourself.

I see people on my facebook feed doing Insanity, they are psyched.....and fall off the wagon within weeks and rebound...
  • Jelenajelenajelenajelena
    Options
    Push up jacks look like they are from the devil.

Lol those were my thoughts exactly

• Elle_pchuk
    Elle_pchuk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love FB!!! They will give you a range of calories that may be burned during one of their workouts, using my fitbit heart rate measures, I generally fall right about in the middle of their low to high range of calorie burn.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I doubt it as well.

I'm 175lbs and it takes me about 10 miles or 75 minutes to burn 1,000 calories.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    These types of workouts are the equivalent of crash diets. They are not maintainable. Just do something half as hard for twice as long and burn the same amount. No need to kill yourself.

I see people on my facebook feed doing Insanity, they are psyched.....and fall off the wagon within weeks and rebound...

They're not meant to be done more then once or twice a week. Personally, I might do one every 4 months or so, just to see how my overall fitness has improved.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options

They are maintainable if you eat enough.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I managed a 1,000 calorie burn one time.
    I had taken a hip hop cardio class, followed by a yoga class, and reached around 950, so I decided to hop on the stair stepper to burn the remainder for fun.
    That was over two hours worth of hard work at 220 lbs.
  • lezerlies
    lezerlies Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Insanity isn't THAT crazy. I did it when I was on maternity leave with my first kid. I completed the program with no real problems (and I'm not THAT fit.) You're not supposed to do be able to do the whole thing full throttle, that's why they show the models tapping out throughout the workouts.

That being said, I burned an average of 400 odd calories per 45/60 min insanity workout. The only time I've ever burned 1k calories in one shot was when I ran 10+ miles.