This seems strange ...

Options
I normally buy larger sized flour tortillas and use one to make a wrap instead of a sandwich as one tortilla is between 95-110 calories, depending on what kind I get vs. 200 calories for two slices of bread.

So last weekend, I bought small flour tortilla to use for soft tacos ... they are nearly half the size of the large ones and they are 110 calories each! (I was in a hurry and didn't look at the store). My mistake ...

Does that seem strange to anyone else?? The thickness seems to be about the same ...

Replies

• dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Tortillas are the devil. Hehe. I usually will buy a low carb version not only because they are low in carbs, but they are usually lower in calories. The ones I get are burrito sized and are 50 calories a tortilla.
  • lexiwho
    lexiwho Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Calories vary widely across brands depending on ingredients used. This is why you always want to be on the look out for nutritional info. I bought the wrong type of whole wheat tortilla once and it was nearly twice my normal brand.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If I recall, the large-size 'burrito' flour tortillas are between 180-220 calories each. You may be mis-remembering. A qick check in the foods database should answer your question.
  • Postlethwaite
    Postlethwaite Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have had funny things like this pop up for me. Why is one brand of spaghetti sauce full of calories and the other not, but they taste the same? I would run back to the store and pick up the kind you usually buy and compare nutrition labels.. but I am a mite geeky in that way lol They likely have somewhat different ingredients, or possibly one is more accurate nutritional info than the other?

Best of luck, better bring an apple for lunch to help fill the belly:)
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If I recall, the large-size 'burrito' flour tortillas are between 180-220 calories each. You may be mis-remembering. A qick check in the foods database should answer your question.

Sorry, actually I usually get whole wheat and not flour ... maybe that is the problem? I just checked my food dairy and I have three different kinds of large tortillas in there over the past few months and one is 120 and the other are both 100.

Guess I better pay much closer attention when I'm shopping!
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yep that sounds spot on for Mission brand tortillas....

We used to buy Mission tortillas, but they're 110 each. I switched to La Bandaritas Ricas, and although they are slightly smaller (not really noticable unless you have them side-by-side, they are much fluffier and are only 81 each.
    022988 Posts: 8
    Options
    This is why I love those "Eat This, Not That" books. You'd think each kind of bread, granola bars, orange juice, whatever, would be fairly similar in calories, until you actually compare brands and realize one has half the calories of another! Or like they show fast food burgers, and one has 400 calories and another has 1000! It's crazy the differences such similar items can have!