How did you choose final weight?

Options

Replies

• Lkush89
    Lkush89 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    gramarye wrote: »
    I went MyBodyGallery, and looked at images of women at my current weight and my goal weight, who seemed to have similar body types to mine. Weight loss has been 90% vanity for me, and I wanted to see if I felt I would like how I looked at my specific weight.

Thank you for sharing this. My goal was to lose 40 pounds and I lost it, but I've been struggling with body image and that site really helped. Ultimately set a goal and reach it and then see how you feel. It's all about how you feel on the inside and that will radiate out.
  • PegMoffat
    PegMoffat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am 66 and 5'9". In my 20s I weighed 135lb. Over the years I have gained and lost weight a number of times. With MFP I started out at 176 and decided to set a realistic goal of 160lb. When I hit 160 I went directly into maintenance but continued to lose. When I hit 151lb I thought I looked too gaunt so I added some extra calories per day to gain back a couple of pounds. I've been maintaining at 153-155 for the past year and am pretty happy at that.
  • Jdisla01
    Jdisla01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »
    When I first started losing weight at 220lbs I figured getting to 150, which was around my college weight (20yrs ago) would be good but now at 156 I decided to shoot for what would be considered "healthy" for my height which is 136. Mainly because my body isn't the same as 20yrs ago before children. As I get to 145 & 140 I'll re-evaluate.

How long did the process take for the weight lost? How did you do it?
    I'm at 224lbs and want to reach the 175 lbs, but see it so difficult to reach...
  • rpachigo
    rpachigo Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    BMI 22
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I chose the middle of the healthy range for my height and age
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I had a goal of 165-175 when I originally started. The first time I went to the doctor after I started losing weight and talked to her about my weight loss. She did some calculation and told me 180 would be good for me. Kind of nice to hear the doctor give me a higher goal than I thought. However I made it close, but never quite to my goal.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I went by the range of most BMI charts, which for my height, is around 100lbs-136lbs. I originally planed to maintain on 115-120lbs, but then I decided that a BMI of 20 would feel best, and a BMI of 20 is maintained on 108lbs-114lbs, which is my maintenance weight range. I personally don't like being too close to the underweight/overweight borders, so ultimately, I always made sure to set a target range at least two BMI points(?) from either border.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    You'll have a maintenance range, not a set number. Your weight will fluctuate day to day from things that have nothing to do with actual weight gain/loss (hormones, time of month, digestion timing, sodium intake etc).

My maintenance range is the 120s (37 years old, 5ft, 6in, started in the 170s). My original goal weight was 135lbs but when I hit that I reevaluated and decided to lose a few more pounds. Got down to 117lbs (low end of a healthy bmi for me) and didn't like how I looked there. So I purposely re-gained a few pounds until I settled into the 120s.

• RWClary
    RWClary Posts: 192 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    I went by the range of most BMI charts, which for my height, is around 100lbs-136lbs. I originally planed to maintain on 115-120lbs, but then I decided that a BMI of 20 would feel best, and a BMI of 20 is maintained on 108lbs-114lbs, which is my maintenance weight range. I personally don't like being too close to the underweight/overweight borders, so ultimately, I always made sure to set a target range at least two BMI points(?) from either border.
    I looked at the highest weight allowed in the BMI healthy range...and that was my number!
    I have since put on 10 pounds of muscle, because I felt little, so my actual final weight ended up higher than my initial goal weight. I have maintained this weight about 4 years.

• mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I was thinking 170 based on how much I weighed a few years ago... hit that and felt I had further to go and the weight was still coming off... wife started complaining I was getting too skinny at low 160's so I upped calories to my guess of maintenance... slowly lost another few lbs over 6+ months and settled in at 156-160.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I put my goal weight at 115 because that's the weight where my clothes look and feel the best. I had gotten down to 112-113 and my pants were a little to big. I had weight creep up to 119 and my pants were too tight and uncomfortable!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I picked the middle of the healthy BMI range... I reached it once when I was 20... but I just don't think it's realistic for me anymore (not like I actually managed to maintain it even then)... I have more muscle now and probably 3 pounds of loose skin too...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,368 Member
    Options
    I started with a provisional goal, 130 pounds. I had weighed that as a young adult (and it wasn't my lowest weight ever), and thought it was at least not crazy. But I planned to re-evaluate as it got close. Naturally, as I got closer to goal weight, I slowed down my loss rate; that was just to stay stronger/healthier, but it also makes it easier to fine-tune, since nothing happens very fast.

After a couple of downward goal adjustments, I was kind of waffling until I literally woke up one morning, evaluated where I was, and said "this seems to be it; I should try to stabilize" at around 122. I'm now trying to dial in maintenance calories accurately with an "adjust and monitor" process, after which I'll plan to stay in a range, maybe 118-123 or thereabouts.

One thing to consider: It's not an irrevocable decision. You can even go to maintenance calories at some weight, live there for a while, and decide to change it.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    The weight I choose is a rough guess based on a goal of a particular body composition. Specifically, I am aiming to be less than 10% body fat. So, if I'm 158 lbs now, and maybe 14% fat, that means I might have 139 pounds of lean mass (139 x 1.14 = 158.46).

So if I'm 14% now, and I want 10%, that means I want to end up at 139 x 1.10 = 152.9. So, I'll set my goal to 152 and see how I look and feel when I get there. My original goal was 165, but I wasn't satisfied so I'm still going.

158lbs x (100% - 14% fat) = 135.88lbs of lean mass.

/end math nitpick.
  • JuliaHaleFitness
    JuliaHaleFitness Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    How did you get that initial goal weight?

At the end of the day, try not to think about the numbers. Get to 180# and if you like what you see, you are comfortable in your body and you can actively do all of the things you want to be able to do, than you are a success!
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm about 5 lbs above what normal bmi would be considered. I'm starting to think that might be generous. Still a good beer belly. People say I'm thin but they don't have to look at me naked. I'm just gonna go until I am comfortable with the way I look not what some math formula says
  • Anabug81
    Anabug81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    130 was where I felt comfortable, not too thin, and not too heavy.
  • Panda_Poptarts
    Panda_Poptarts Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I picked a weight at the upper end of healthy for my height. At 5'11'', I selected 175. I want to build muscle, so I realize I may not get a whole lot lower than 175- body comp is going to have a lot to do with it. I'd say the lower end of where I'd want to go would be around 150. That being said, the answer for me is to start at 175 and work my way down to where I look and feel good.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Anabug81 wrote: »
    130 was where I felt comfortable, not too thin, and not too heavy.

How tall are you?