Losing inches but not weight

Options
WastedGetsSmaller
WastedGetsSmaller Posts: 41 Member
edited April 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. For the last 6 months, I've been steadily getting smaller in size, but the scale hasn't changed at all. I am stuck in a 5lb range and I kept going up and down in that range for no discernable reason.

I measure myself once a month and I've lost 7-20cms from everywhere on my body since September last year. So I just don't understand how the scale hasn't changed at all. The app I use to log my daily weight has a trend setting, so even my trend weight has more or less remained the same. I have the trend set to 90 days since I'm aiming for slow and consistent weight loss, not ridiculously unsustainable large drops.

My diary here is empty because I log all my food through my fitbit app. I weigh everything with a food scale, and log every bite. I prefer the MFP app but I since I use my fitbit to track my cals burned, it makes more sense to log everything there. I have a charge HR so I know my cals burned are as close to accurate as possible. I've even tested the heart rate monitor against one in hospital, and it is accurate both on the high end and the low end.

I am an ethical vegan, and have been for about 7 years. I don't eat a lot of pre-packaged foods and prefer to cook my meals myself so I know exactly what is in them. I also inadvertently intermittent fast as I don't feel hungry during the day. I usually eat all my calories between 6pm and midnight.

I eat an average of 1300ish a day. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. According to my fitbit I burn an average of around 2200 cals a day [including TDEE] so I have a solid deficit. I should be losing, right? I really have no idea why I am not.

I do a combination of running, pilates, treadmilling, elliptical-ing and very light strength training [mainly body weight exercises] every day. I find it quite difficult to stay still so even on my rest days I usually get in a walk or a light pilates session.

I drink a lot of water and green tea throughout the day, and aim to have at least 3.5 litres between the two. On top of that I also drink copious amounts of other herbal teas and coke zero [I am addicted, I swear. Lol]

On paper I can't think of anything I could change to get the scale to move again, so I am open to advice. I have had my thyroid checked and have had blood work done and everything is working just fine so I don't understand what is going on. The frustration that I am feeling is intolerable. I know I should just be happy because I'm losing size and that's more important than the number, but I can't help but feel frustrated. If I could even lose 10 more lbs on the scale and then maintain there I think I would be happy. This plateau is a special kind of hell.

Gold star if you read all this! I'm sorry, I just wanted to give as much detail as possible. Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    My first thought is that your scale might be broken. I don't understand how anyone could lose 20cm from their waist(?) without changing weight.

Do you see a difference in pictures?
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    My first thought is that your scale might be broken. I don't understand how anyone could lose 20cm from their waist(?) without changing weight.

Do you see a difference in pictures?

Yes there's a huge difference in pictures and my clothes have gone down several sizes.

It's not the scale, unfortunately, as it is the same across several scales.

The 20cm was across my hips/butt. I've lost 10 on my waist. 7 on my arms. 17 on my bust. And so on. I know I've lost it's just not showing on the scale :/
  • lorechz727
    lorechz727 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If i were you i would concern my self about the scale you may just be gaining muscle and burning fat.
    It sounds like you are on track.
    I haven't lost much weight on the scale either but have gone down in dress sizes.
    I would suggest that you be happy about smaller dress sizes as long as you look good kick the scale to the curve☺
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    What you described is called maintenance - eating at par with your TDEE where you still burn fat and pile up muscles, slowly but steadily - but if your calories mentioned are correct then it is not it and it does make very little sense specially over a 6 moths period.

I'd probably say that your calories are too low compared to your TDEE but does not explain the loss of centimetres.

Who keyed in your figures and how were they keyed in?
    Do you look into macros or just calories?
    Last but not least - 2200 calories TDEE is a calculation, a FITBIT assumption or a daily tracking that you average out?

• WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    What you described is called maintenance - eating at par with your TDEE where you still burn fat and pile up muscles, slowly but steadily - but if your calories mentioned are correct then it is not it and it does make very little sense specially over a 6 moths period.

I'd probably say that your calories are too low compared to your TDEE but does not explain the loss of centimetres.

Who keyed in your figures and how were they keyed in?
    Do you look into macros or just calories?
    Last but not least - 2200 calories TDEE is a calculation, a FITBIT assumption or a daily tracking that you average out?

I'm not sure what you mean about my figures? If you mean how did I workout how many calories to eat, that was MFP/Fitbit. I then compared to some online calculators and settled around 1300.

As for the calorie information, I always double or triple check that the information listed is correct. And if I make a meal like a curry or something, I create my own recipe through MFP with the weights of every ingredient listed.

The 2200 is daily tracking according to my heart rate. I wear my fitbit 24/7 and only take it off to shower, so it tracks my heart rate and thus the calories I am using all day. At least that's how I understand it to work? Or is that wrong? So I burn around 600-800 through exercise and the rest of the cals burned are just from my day to day activities/what I'm burning at rest.

I only really track calories but my macros usually come out to around 70% carbs [mainly raw fruit and veg] 20% protein and 10% fat. But that's purely based on what I like to eat; I don't care so much about hitting certain targets. Could that be an issue?
  • Erik8484
    Options
    Just to clarify, it's not just your trend weight that isn't changing, but also your daily weight measurements, yes? Anyway I have absolutely no idea, I would be surprised if it was because you're gaining muscle (basically because you're not doing heavy strength training), but I'm also surprised that your measurements have dropped so much without losing weight, so I guess it could be anything.

Midas touch, slowly turning various body parts to gold? You know what they say, gold weighs more than fat :smile: Anyway, hope you get an answer!
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    lorechz727 wrote: »
    If i were you i would concern my self about the scale you may just be gaining muscle and burning fat.
    It sounds like you are on track.
    I haven't lost much weight on the scale either but have gone down in dress sizes.
    I would suggest that you be happy about smaller dress sizes as long as you look good kick the scale to the curve☺

I'm trying to just focus on the changes in my body and not the number but it is so disheartening to see the same 5 numbers day in and day out :/
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    Just to clarify, it's not just your trend weight that isn't changing, but also your daily weight measurements, yes? Anyway I have absolutely no idea, I would be surprised if it was because you're gaining muscle (basically because you're not doing heavy strength training), but I'm also surprised that your measurements have dropped so much without losing weight, so I guess it could be anything.

Midas touch, slowly turning various body parts to gold? You know what they say, gold weighs more than fat :smile: Anyway, hope you get an answer!

Yes, my daily weight stays within the same 5lbs and so my trend weight stays within the same 2lbs. It's like I'm gaining and losing the same 5lbs but without changing anything to cause that to occur.

Haha thank you :)
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    I'm trying to work out how to post a picture to show you guys what I mean. How do I do it?
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Can you share your stats and activity levels please?
    Not a user so just ensuring - Is fitbit a heart monitor or an activity tracker?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. For the last 6 months, I've been steadily getting smaller in size, but the scale hasn't changed at all. I am stuck in a 5lb range and I kept going up and down in that range for no discernable reason.

I measure myself once a month and I've lost 7-20cms from everywhere on my body since September last year. So I just don't understand how the scale hasn't changed at all. The app I use to log my daily weight has a trend setting, so even my trend weight has more or less remained the same. I have the trend set to 90 days since I'm aiming for slow and consistent weight loss, not ridiculously unsustainable large drops.

My diary here is empty because I log all my food through my fitbit app. I weigh everything with a food scale, and log every bite. I prefer the MFP app but I since I use my fitbit to track my cals burned, it makes more sense to log everything there. I have a charge HR so I know my cals burned are as close to accurate as possible. I've even tested the heart rate monitor against one in hospital, and it is accurate both on the high end and the low end.

I am an ethical vegan, and have been for about 7 years. I don't eat a lot of pre-packaged foods and prefer to cook my meals myself so I know exactly what is in them. I also inadvertently intermittent fast as I don't feel hungry during the day. I usually eat all my calories between 6pm and midnight.

I eat an average of 1300ish a day. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. According to my fitbit I burn an average of around 2200 cals a day [including TDEE] so I have a solid deficit. I should be losing, right? I really have no idea why I am not.

I do a combination of running, pilates, treadmilling, elliptical-ing and very light strength training [mainly body weight exercises] every day. I find it quite difficult to stay still so even on my rest days I usually get in a walk or a light pilates session.

I drink a lot of water and green tea throughout the day, and aim to have at least 3.5 litres between the two. On top of that I also drink copious amounts of other herbal teas and coke zero [I am addicted, I swear. Lol] On paper I can't think of anything I could change to get the scale to move again, so I am open to advice. I have had my thyroid checked and have had blood work done and everything is working just fine so I don't understand what is going on. The frustration that I am feeling is intolerable. I know I should just be happy because I'm losing size and that's more important than the number, but I can't help but feel frustrated. If I could even lose 10 more lbs on the scale and then maintain there I think I would be happy. This plateau is a special kind of hell.

Gold star if you read all this! I'm sorry, I just wanted to give as much detail as possible. Thank you in advance :)

@WastedGetsSmaller that is awesome. Most can not do that. Just keep doing what you are doing perhaps. I am thinking you had good health based on your way of eating for 7 years so your body was ready to start giving up some inches before any pounds. Keep up the good work. You are in a sweet kind of hell. If you really need to lose weight it will come off. Our brain and about 30 hormones will automatically manage our weight when we are healthy.

For pain manage I left sugar and all forms of grain cold turkey Oct 2014. I did not lose even one pound for 6 weeks but too lost inches. I was obese and my health was a wreck at the age of 63. The pain was managed after 30 days of no sugar and any grains.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    edited April 2016
    Options

It's a heart rate monitor and an activity tracker. So it will count my steps and recognize exercise, but the calories burned are based on my heart rate.

I'm 5'5, 29, female, on the lower end of the BMI range. I aim to do 60-90 mins of cardio a day. I don't count pilates or strength training in that. My pilates/strength sessions are usually 40-60mins.
  • Erik8484
    Options
    I'm trying to work out how to post a picture to show you guys what I mean. How do I do it?

I don't know how to on the app, if you're using a browser there is a folded paper icon above where you type that allows you to attach a file.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options

I don't know how to on the app, if you're using a browser there is a folded paper icon above where you type that allows you to attach a file.

I'm on the app now but I'll try on the browser when I get a chance. Thank you :)
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I drink a lot of water and green tea throughout the day, and aim to have at least 3.5 litres between the two. On top of that I also drink copious amounts of other herbal teas and coke zero [I am addicted, I swear. Lol] On paper I can't think of anything I could change to get the scale to move again, so I am open to advice. I have had my thyroid checked and have had blood work done and everything is working just fine so I don't understand what is going on. The frustration that I am feeling is intolerable. I know I should just be happy because I'm losing size and that's more important than the number, but I can't help but feel frustrated. If I could even lose 10 more lbs on the scale and then maintain there I think I would be happy. This plateau is a special kind of hell.

@WastedGetsSmaller that is awesome. Most can not do that. Just keep doing what you are doing perhaps. I am thinking you had good health based on your way of eating for 7 years so your body was ready to start giving up some inches before any pounds. Keep up the good work. You are in a sweet kind of hell. If you really need to lose weight it will come off. Our brain and about 30 hormones will automatically manage our weight when we are healthy.

For pain manage I left sugar and all forms of grain cold turkey Oct 2014. I did not lose even one pound for 6 weeks but too lost inches. I was obese and my health was a wreck at the age of 63. The pain was managed after 30 days of no sugar and any grains.

Congrats on managing you pain! That is awesome :)

I hope the scale starts to move soon because it's is so disheartening to see the same numbers when I know I am doing what I should be to lose weight :(
  • elsesvan
    elsesvan Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I drink a lot of water and green tea throughout the day, and aim to have at least 3.5 litres between the two. On top of that I also drink copious amounts of other herbal teas and coke zero [I am addicted, I swear. Lol]

On paper I can't think of anything I could change to get the scale to move again, so I am open to advice. I have had my thyroid checked and have had blood work done and everything is working just fine so I don't understand what is going on. The frustration that I am feeling is intolerable. I know I should just be happy because I'm losing size and that's more important than the number, but I can't help but feel frustrated. If I could even lose 10 more lbs on the scale and then maintain there I think I would be happy. This plateau is a special kind of hell.

I wouldn't worry since you sound healthy, and loosing cm ;).....other than that I notice it is aprilfools day today- maybe that is the "problem"? ;)
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options

It's a heart rate monitor and an activity tracker. So it will count my steps and recognize exercise, but the calories burned are based on my heart rate.

I'm 5'5, 29, female, on the lower end of the BMI range. I aim to do 60-90 mins of cardio a day. I don't count pilates or strength training in that. My pilates/strength sessions are usually 40-60mins.

Should you be trying to lose weight if your are on the lower end of BMI?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

What does the lower end of bmi mean? Are you nearing underweight for your height?

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Do people seriously get disappointed at losing size but not weight? This is the ideal, dream scenario everyone should want. If you lost as much weight as you've lost size, but your measurements remained the same as they were or even increased, would that make you happier? Is the number on the scale your main concern rather than what really matters?
  • b7mapile
    b7mapile Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, other than the great suggestions above, try doing high intensity interval training.