Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Biking gloves at Spin class?

2»

Replies

• DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    I get blisters when I ride a bike without them. Spinning would be the same thing. Not to mention those who have germ phobias. I hate to touch anything at the gym without gloves, I don't know about you.

Highly doubt you can get blisters from a spin class. Riding a real bike and spinning aren't really the same thing. There's no reason to tightly grip the handlebars on a stationary bike.

Germs are another thing. But you can always wipe the bike down before you use the bike.
  • Catjag
    Catjag Posts: 107
    I teach RPM and I always wear gloves as I find my grip is better as I get crazy sweaty. It comes down to what is better for the person-to each their own.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    To set the record straight, I bought 8 boxing classes on Living Social. People wore the wraps under their gloves. I wore the gloves but not the wraps.

Thanks, all, for contributing.
  • kylTKe
    kylTKe Posts: 146 Member
    I've only done spin once (lol?) but normally cycling hurts your *kitten* and the space between your thumb and forefinger (especially for beginners). I don't think you lean on your bars as much in spin, but your hands might still hurt. So sure, why not? If I did spin I might wear my cycling shorts too (maybe under some baggier shorts), nobody likes a sore butt (granted the bike isn't bouncing on the road).

Also, I don't have a ton of experience with striking but there are a ton of little bones in your hand and the wraps keep them bound up so they dont smash around and break when you're boxing. You should definitely wrap your hands if you're hitting a heavy bag or sparring.
  • sunshinejude
    sunshinejude Posts: 1 Member
    Gloves helps grip the handlebars as gets very slippery when sweaty, especially when you have to grip firmly on the handle bars when standing up to pedal!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited April 2016
    Gloves helps grip the handlebars as gets very slippery when sweaty, especially when you have to grip firmly on the handle bars when standing up to pedal!

If you have to grip the handlebars tightly when standing you're doing it wrong......you should be able to just rest your fingertips on them while climbing. Holding on too tightly creates tension in your arms and shoulders.

BTW this is a thread from 2012......

ng4mxf12pxcw.jpg
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    A girl wore biking gloves at the Spin class on Sunday. Is that... necessary ?

Not for you, maybe for her, live and let live.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    you obviously not as cool as she is hence cannot understand the dynamics if wearing gloves on a spinning class!
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited April 2016
    I always found spin class more comfortable with gloves on. I did not like my grip to slip on the handlebars.

ETA: Sorry, I wouldn't have posted if I had realized it was a zombie thread.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Wow. Old thread.

And a vote for "who cares?"

I put towels on the bike handle bars.

And I was using gloves to row because I was getting blisters. I've got some calluses built up now.
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    edited April 2016
    I wouldn't wear them in spin class, because the bike geometry and handlebars are such that it doesn't seem necessary (though if it helps with sweat or whatever I wouldn't judge someone for it), but when I ride my road bike on the trainer I wear gloves.

And I definitely wear gloves to lift because otherwise I get calluses, and I have worn them rowing too.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    4 years is old? hmmm
  • don9992
    don9992 Posts: 49 Member
    I wear gloves to spin because my hands get sweaty and I have to hold the handlebar tighter if I don't.
  • rrpawluk
    rrpawluk Posts: 1 Member
    Getting into a mental zone to make the workout more intense - is key part of spinning. For some gear helps get them in the mood even if only a nominal physical benefit. For me a water bottle, towel and gloves -- means spin time! I tend to look at clip-in shoes as silly - but I resist. Power to all kinds of people who manage to get to the gym... !
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Probably because many uninitiated riders put a lot of weight through their arms when cycling, so it becomes uncomfortable to the hands.
  • ColdWarVet75
    ColdWarVet75 Posts: 1 Member
    I can't believe the cattyness here. I teach Spinning and I am an outdoor cyclist. I sweat a great deal and cycling gloves help me maintain my grip on the handlebars. Placing a towel on them is dangerous as the towel can slip.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I never wear them on a stationary bike and almost always wear them when cycling outside. I used to get numbness in my hands and thought the extra padding might help. The numbness went away when I lost weight. Now the reason I wear gloves is to keep them warm in winter and to protect my skin if I should fall.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,636 Member
    ilex70 wrote: »
    Wow. Old thread.

And a vote for "who cares?"

I put towels on the bike handle bars.

And I was using gloves to row because I was getting blisters. I've got some calluses built up now.

(Trigger warning: Stop reading here if you're easily grossed out by bodily stuff.)

If your calluses continue to build up, I'd recommend that you eventually buff them down a little now & then, with something like a pumice stone, or one of those grater thingies people use on foot calluses. Do it after a shower or bath, when they're softer.

I know, it sounds crazy, but if the calluses get too thick, they tend to be un-pliable and eventually peel off as a single sheet. leaving fresh pink baby skin (or worse yet, raw skin) underneath. Then you start over, from zero.

I row on water, a lot (in season). We don't wear gloves (you want to feel the water through the oar) so we get Major Calluses. It's helpful to manage/maintain them, so just the right amount sticks around.

How's that for zombie thread drift? ;)