What do you eat/drink? Before & After!

Options
BeaUtiful_1413
BeaUtiful_1413 Posts: 200 Member
edited March 2016 in Success Stories
What did you used to eat and drink all the time compared to now?
How do you feel!
Did you change your diet completely?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Relative to gen pop, my diet has never been horrible. I learned to cook in college because I was broke and also because it impressed the ladies...so I've been cooking healthy home cooked meals for a long time and I'm pretty wicked in the kitchen.

The major changes are that I used to drink a ton of soda...about 3-5 per day and now I drink mostly water throughout the day. I was also pretty bad about getting my veg and fruit...I'd probably have maybe 2-3 servings per day...now I get in about 6-8...mostly veg and a couple servings of fruit. Other than that, things aren't a whole lot different save for I'm more aware of my portions...I used to think huge portions were normal...I know what a proper portion for me, for most thing is now. I also eat out less...and I eat less pizza and pub food.
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I can tell you one thing. I was ADDICTED to iced coffees. I would drink that stuff all. the. time. I would get some from McD's in the morning before work, and I would come home and have the kind you can buy in the store with dinner. Because I knew it was a trigger for me to want to have other sweet beverages and foods, I quit that cold turkey as soon as I started on MFP. Quitting was easier than what I thought it would be, but I won't lie and say that I don't think about it now and again. :-)

I still like sweeter drinks, so I have diet soda and Naked juice (once in awhile and in small quantities). I want to get to the point where I can give up diet soda, but I'm not quite there yet.

Since giving up my beloved iced coffee, I find myself having more energy in the morning especially. Instead of starting my day off with sugary iced coffee, I have a cup of milk at home, a cup of regular coffee at work with my breakfast of 2 boiled eggs. I find myself having a lot more energy that is much more sustained throughout the day.
  • kellyship17
    kellyship17 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to be terrified to eat anything with fat in it, and now I make sure to eat avocados and nuts because I have found they keep me feeling full and satisfied. As for drinks, much less soda, and much less cream in my coffee (if I put cream in it at all!)
  • momof4girls48
    momof4girls48 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I try to remember to have 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a glass of pure water before meals to help weight loss. I am a pretty healthy eater but I am a stress eater. I also cannot workout much because of a bad hip.I replace skim milk for half and half in my coffee sometimes.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    The biggest change for me (having lost over 60 lbs with some still to go) is simply thinking about the calories and making healthier choices. My DH and I used to eat a lot of premade/packaged food, and fatty, fatty, salty food. I.E. Friday night dinner, chicken nachos, Saturday night dinner Costco chicken pot pie, etc. Pretty much just ate whatever we wanted and never thought about it. Now, we seek out healthier recipes, cut way down on red meat, etc. We found healthy alternatives to some things we love, like chili, and make our own pizza rather than order out. I switched regular milk for unsweetened almond milk, and eat a lot more salads for lunch (used to eat frozen dinners for lunch, or go to McDonalds). Oh yeah, and we go out to eat maybe a couple times a month now instead of a few times a week. We prep/plan our food on Sunday for the week so we no longer have days that we're scrambling. I also stopped drinking a bottle of wine every few days; now opt to have a glass maybe once a month for a treat, as long as it fits into my goals for the day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I still eat everything I used to eat, just not as often and in smaller amounts. I have added a lot more nutrient rich food though.

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I generally eat less of the same foods but I've also added to my diet- avocados, many more salads, nuts, low carb tortillas and wraps, hot decaf tea, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, greek yogurt.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Napa cabbage and broccoli slaw mix. Never touched either one of them before; now I go through a head of napa and a bag of broccoli slaw mix a week.
  • lizzy_satellite
    lizzy_satellite Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Exactly the same as before, just in different sized portions! I never drank pop or fruit juice, the most drastic change has been from taking one sugar in my black coffee to taking none.
  • Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I eat much less pastries, bread, candy, pasta. That used to be the majority of my food intake, now it's a much smaller percentage. I try to eat more protein and fat to stay full with my allotted calories
  • mommybehealthy
    mommybehealthy Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I stopped drinking sodas, as well as went gluten free, limit my rice and barely eat potatoes. Prior to, I would drink sodas 4 or more times a week, snack frequently on whatever I could, and we ate pizza once a week. Now I plan everything so I don't fall into that trap. Exercise has replaced my stress eating. I've got a long way to go, but I'm getting there. I feel much better mentally, less fog brained, and much more energy than before.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I didn't eat awful before, I just ate way too much. I was eating as much as my husband and he is almost a foot taller than me and now weighs about 100lbs more. He has always been about 20lbs overweight himself even for his height, so I was way, way overeating. Once I learned how to cut my portion sizes down, learned how to make good lower cal substitutions in my cooking, and stopped baking every fricking day of the week (seriously, I would make a batch of chocolate chip cookies almost every day or every other day for three people...), the weight started melting off.
  • Maggieq87
    Maggieq87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I was eating a lot of fast food for the first time in my life. I ate a lot of junk. Processed food, soda, candy so. Much. Coffee. and just massive portions of everything.

Now I try to eat clean..er, lol. I eat a lot of full fat yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, nuts, chicken, veg. I try really hard to avoid bread because I LOVE IT and I can't control myself. Maybe twice a month I have a cheat meal, where I eat anything and everything, but I pay for it and always regret it! I've gained 4 pounds from one cheat meal, my body hates me.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I eat the same foods, just less of them. Did this through the weight loss phase and still doing it now in maintenance. I haven't cut out any foods that I like. I enjoy fast food 2-4 times a week and then when I eat at home I usually eat veggie and rice stir-frys (with pork or chicken), oatmeal bowls with stuff mixed in, light soups (favorites are the Progresso Light ones), oven baked fish and then frozen dinners (favorites are the Boston Market ones). The only thing I changed before/after is I switched from regular soda to diet.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Maggieq87 wrote: »
    I was eating a lot of fast food for the first time in my life. I ate a lot of junk. Processed food, soda, candy so. Much. Coffee. and just massive portions of everything.

Now I try to eat clean..er, lol. I eat a lot of full fat yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, nuts, chicken, veg. I try really hard to avoid bread because I LOVE IT and I can't control myself. Maybe twice a month I have a cheat meal, where I eat anything and everything, but I pay for it and always regret it! I've gained 4 pounds from one cheat meal, my body hates me.

To gain an actual 4 pounds of fat from one meal, you'd have to eat around 14,000 calories OVER your maintenance calorie level. I can't even wrap my mind around being able to do that-what on earth did you eat?!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I eat and drink exactly the same things as before, just not in the same quantities.
  • AngieGetsHealthyin2012
    AngieGetsHealthyin2012 Posts: 45 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I cut way back on bread, pasta, rice, etc. I started paying attention to how many calories are in things, and choosing brands that were lower. I cut out high cal condiments. I cut out sweets except on special occasions. I mostly eat salad and meat now. Drinks haven't changed... I'm addicted to Coke Zero. :#

Switching to so much more protein and less carbs has helped a whole lot in how I feel. It is no longer a huge struggle to stay within my calorie limits. I have fewer cravings. I feel like I have more control, and I'm not hungry as often. It's helped!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!