Do you drink wine/alcohol and still maintain?

Replies

• ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    looney9708 wrote: »
    Cheers to all my wine loving friends! You are cracking me up.

I do think part of my problem is definitely figuring out daily calories for maintenance. How many cals do you try to consume? Do you track macros? Ive heard that if you track macros an alcohol carb should be multiplied x7?

A gram of alcohol has 7 calories (as opposed to carbs, which have 4 cals/gram). I think it makes the most sense to think of those as "carb" calories if you're tracking macros.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    I wouldn't be able to fit 2 glasses a day into my maintenance. One is manageable. Not having it every day is even better.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    I rarely drink, so it's a non issue for me. Therefore, if I have an occasional cocktail, I don't stress about the excess calories. However, people that drink alcohol daily should be aware that they are consuming a great deal of calories. I rather eat, than drink my calories!

The joy of MFP is that most drinkers are very aware of how many calories they're consuming in alcohol...Thank goodness for weighing, logging and knowing you can afford a drink or two ;)

Yes! Providing they are tracking! Ha!

OMG you're gorgeous!! Great work!!! YOU are definitely tracking!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    I have mixed drinks a couple nights per week. I usually have a loss after drinking. I don't eat when I drink so that may be why.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    I drank 5-7 days all the way down. Now that I am in maintenance, I get the extra calories for whatever I want plus the same drinks. Maybe I could have done it faster (although I did do it fairly fast), but it was always about my future lifestyle and not about what I will do to lose weight for a certain time period.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Well depending on the wine, you may be underestimating how many calories you're packing in at the end of the night. Wine is fairly calorie dense because it's all sugar (like all alcohol really). I'd also venture to guess you aren't carefully measuring "two glasses" so there goes half a bottle of wine, 600+ calories. The effect alcohol has on the metabolism are also well documented. As others mentioned, your body immediately stops burning fats and carbs. It instead rapidly metabolizes the alcohol into Acetaldehyde (technically a poison) and then processes it through the Krebs cycle to burn as energy. Since your body has a new found more efficient energy source, it packs fats and carbs into your fat cells to be stored for energy later. If you consumed more calories than you burned that day, welp you just gained weight.

With that said I do still drink, more often than I probably should but I stick to very simple low calorie drinks that are easily measured. I usually have lighter meals that day and make sure I had a good cardio session in the gym to "earn" it. I think the real serious body people would say you're crazy to drink, and maybe they're right. but I'm not getting on a stage anywhere lol.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    atjays wrote: »
    Well depending on the wine, you may be underestimating how many calories you're packing in at the end of the night. Wine is fairly calorie dense because it's all sugar (like all alcohol really). I'd also venture to guess you aren't carefully measuring "two glasses" so there goes half a bottle of wine, 600+ calories. The effect alcohol has on the metabolism are also well documented. As others mentioned, your body immediately stops burning fats and carbs. It instead rapidly metabolizes the alcohol into Acetaldehyde (technically a poison) and then processes it through the Krebs cycle to burn as energy. Since your body has a new found more efficient energy source, it packs fats and carbs into your fat cells to be stored for energy later. If you consumed more calories than you burned that day, welp you just gained weight.

With that said I do still drink, more often than I probably should but I stick to very simple low calorie drinks that are easily measured. I usually have lighter meals that day and make sure I had a good cardio session in the gym to "earn" it. I think the real serious body people would say you're crazy to drink, and maybe they're right. but I'm not getting on a stage anywhere lol.

Where are you getting these numbers from? Two 5 oz glasses of wine is approximately 250 cals, not 600.

The rest of it also makes no sense.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Where are you getting these numbers from? Two 5 oz glasses of wine is approximately 250 cals, not 600.

You seem to be confused. There is no measurement called a "glass" therefore, no one can say how much a "glass" of wine is. That's why atjays specifically said "half a bottle" as approzimately 2 glasses, and ~600 calories total (or 300 per glass). This is very close to the 250 calories you mention.

The rest of it is also accurate, but irrelevant (as atjays implies) because, when you drink 500-600 calories of wine, you still need to include that in your calorie count and eat accordingly no matter what other biological functions are occurring.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

You seem to be confused. There is no measurement called a "glass" therefore, no one can say how much a "glass" of wine is. That's why atjays specifically said "half a bottle" as approzimately 2 glasses, and ~600 calories total (or 300 per glass). This is very close to the 250 calories you mention.

The rest of it is also accurate, but irrelevant (as atjays implies) because, when you drink 500-600 calories of wine, you still need to include that in your calorie count and eat accordingly no matter what other biological functions are occurring.

Which is why I specified a 5 oz glass of wine, which may have some variability but is roughly 125 cals, two of which would be 250 cals...

No one said alcohol calories don't count and that you don't have to log it. What we have said is that it is possible to drink alcohol and still lose/maintain weight. Logging accurately is important for everything an individual consumes...
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    I have 3-4 glasses of wine every Friday. I tend to be over on the weekend anyway, so I just eat less than my maintanance on the other days.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Yes.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Yes, I drink and maintain. Also stay hydrated.
  • BBeall0424
    BBeall0424 Posts: 2 Member
    I switched from wine to vodka & sodium free club soda with lots of fresh cut/squeezed limes. I usually only drink on the weekends, and have been able to lose weight (lost almost 30 lbs) as well as maintain my weight as well. I love wine and do drink it occasionally still, but the vodka sodas are the way to go for me.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Yes, I do. See my pic <--
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    xmichaelyx wrote: »

Well half a bottle is about 12 ounces and therefore 250-300 Cals, so...
  • PegMoffat
    PegMoffat Posts: 24 Member
    On occasion, if it fit my calorie goals for he day.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    The effect alcohol has on the metabolism are also well documented. As others mentioned, your body immediately stops burning fats and carbs. It instead rapidly metabolizes the alcohol into Acetaldehyde (technically a poison) and then processes it through the Krebs cycle to burn as energy. Since your body has a new found more efficient energy source, it packs fats and carbs into your fat cells to be stored for energy later. If you consumed more calories than you burned that day, welp you just gained weight.

This I have seen in a variety of sources. It will take time to go through the alcohol. However, if you are in a deficit, there is no need to store energy ( at least over time).

• AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    I rarely drink less than a half a bottle when I drink wine, and there's no way I could maintain if I did that every night. I'm not willing to cut my food calories to allow for that much alcohol. Besides, I'd feel like crap if I didn't consume enough calories to compensate for the way I feel when I drink too much. So for me, the answer is I can't maintain if I drink 2+ glasses of wine a night. I have a harder time maintaining if I drink more than 1 or 2 nights a week. Right now, I'm off drinking entirely, and the deficit in calories has caused the weight to come off -- and I feel better overall.

Besides, it messes up the body composition. It's harder to maintain or add lean mass when I drink alcohol. What good is maintaining weight if you still manage to have more fat and less muscle when all's said and done?
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member

Besides, it messes up the body composition. It's harder to maintain or add lean mass when I drink alcohol. What good is maintaining weight if you still manage to have more fat and less muscle when all's said and done?[/quote]

Yes this is me. Even if I maintain my body comp is thrown off. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Thanks! Good luck on your journey

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    I certainly find maintenance (and weight loss for that matter) more difficult when drinking wine regularly. But I think that is because I probably underestimate the amount that I am drinking. I certainly lose faster if I don't drink.

If you enjoy wine with dinner, maybe cut back to just one glass a night?