Homemade Pizza

Options
I'm craving pizza, so does anyone have a homemade pizza recipe that's healthier than pizza from some restaurant?

Replies

• tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Are you down with a cauliflower crust? I love it btw. Pulse a head of raw cauliflower in a food processor until it looks like rice. Steam it until tender. Put the steamed, cooled cauliflower in a towel and wring the heck out of it until its as dry as you can get it (this isn't in most recipes but its the key) add some spices (basil, oregano, garlic, crushed red pepper whatever you like) an egg and a 1/2ish cup of mozzarella. Put some parchment paper on a cookie sheet, form into pizza shape and bake! Voila! so easy and delicious, I bake mine on both sides so its a little hardier then top with sauce and veggies and more cheese or buffalo chicken. The sky is the limit!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I use the flat out flat bread. Contadina pizza sauce, a lot of veggies, low fat mozzarella cheese. I prebake the flat bread for about 6 or 7 minutes, put the topping on and bake until the cheese is melted. Whole thing is less than 200 calories.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I often make mini pizzas with whole wheat pitas or high fiber english muffins as the crust. Helps with portion control and it's super fast.

The pitas get really crispy and delicious. I like traditional pizza toppings, but my favorite at the moment involves spicy pepper pesto (jarred from Delallo) in place of marinara/pizza sauce. I usually top with sauteed mushrooms, garlic, and shallots. Then add either part-skim mozzarella or feta and Parmesan cheese and throw a handful of arugula on when it comes out of the oven or toaster oven.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I make it normally.

I weigh the ingredients and log it.

It has a tonne less calories than a pizzeria pizza.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I use this 2 ingredient recipe for the crust. It uses only greek yogurt and self-rising flour
    http://www.theslowroasteditalian.com/2014/02/2-ingredient-pizza-dough-recipe.html

After finding such a simple recipe that makes a delicious real crust we have homemade pizza regularly. I use reduced fat cheese and lean/no meat and the calories are usually less than 1/2 of takeout.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Most home made pizzas will have fewer calories than a bought one. It's the dough and the cheese where the bulk of the calories are, so make it thin crust, and go easy on the cheese.

I've made mini thin pizzas using tortilla wraps for the base before, they're OK.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Naaa. Just treat yourself to your favourite local one....
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you mean that you want a lower calorie pizza you could make a thin crust, use less cheese, pile on the vegetable toppings or use chicken instead of sausage. Put it in the recipe builder and see what your combination looks like.
    For a quick thin crust you could use a tortilla or pita bread. Top it. Bake about 10 minutes.

I like stuff like mozzarella, chicken, black olive, spinach, mushroom, green pepper, onion, feta cheese and red pepper flakes on my pizza.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I make my own crust, use fat free mozzarella, some lean beef, onions, bell peppers. Cook it on my big green egg. Each slice is around 150-170 calories.. low fat, moderate carb and good protein.
  • Tomaraki
    Tomaraki Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use the flat out flat bread. Contadina pizza sauce, a lot of veggies, low fat mozzarella cheese. I prebake the flat bread for about 6 or 7 minutes, put the topping on and bake until the cheese is melted. Whole thing is less than 200 calories.

I use the thinnest flat bread you can buy, minimise the sauce to no more than a tablespoon otherwise the bread will get too soggy and overload the pizza with vegetables, oregano & chilli flakes for flavour. I cannot however bring myself to use low fat cheese. I think it tastes foul so I use a mix of mozzarella Parmesan & tasty cheese just limiting the amounts.

The whole pizza is one serve and comes in at about 320-380 calories depending on the amount of cheese. I eat it either as lunch or dinner and it is satiating.

• AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I need to try that recipe @Need2Exerc1se. I made a pan pizza with store bought dough last night and I just can't get it thin enough.
  • piheart
    piheart Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    World Market has thin pizza crusts that are only 150 calories! Add toppings, great for a mid-week pizza craving.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Homemade dough (1 step, easy): http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/

Favorite sauce (Pastorelli), 2% mozzarella, turkey pepperoni (70% less fat). If you like sausage look for chicken sausage (pre-cook because it's chicken). Add veggies as desired.
  • jpoutney
    jpoutney Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    New to eating gluten free. I second the cauliflower crust - and yes, wringing out the excess moisture is key! I used it as a base for a quiche though; whole family ate it up! Excited to try it next time as a pizza crust!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I do yeast, 90 grams whole wheat flour, 2 oz mozzarella, and no salt added tomato sauce. Pretty simple and delicious. I add herbs and spices to the actual dough mixture :D
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I share a medium size one now instead of having a large one each. A big fresh salad and ta da!!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    This is an awesome recipe. The sauce is to die for. We usually add meat - I add baked chicken breast and hubby adds salami. We also usually add some spinach and red onion. Delicious! Better in my opinion than any pizza I've purchased.

http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/2013/04/whole-wheat-pita-bread-pizza.html