I'm broke, I need good foods on a budget!

Options
Hi guys! So here's the thing: my grocery budget for my husband and is usually 150, and that has to last us for a good two weeks until we shop again. Living in the New Jersey/NYC area, food is pricey around us. Anyone can provide a list of foods we can get on a budget that are clean? I already gave up drinks, we only drink water, and he has coffee with skim milk and I with almond milk when craving coffee. Also, we do brown rice and cauliflower rice, a lot! Need sodium free condiments and gluten free and low carb foods. Any suggestions will be amazing. Thanks in advance! Tiff

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Everything is reasonably priced if you are eating in reasonable portions....
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    budgetbytes.com/ is an awesome website for inexpensive meals.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Frozen vegetables
    protein frozen in bulk
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    150 every two weeks is pretty easy actually. I used to feed myself for about $20/week, sometimes less. Rice, split peas, beans, lentils, barley and dried beans are really inexpensive and excellent healthy food staples that are good sources of protein. Frozen veggies also generally pretty inexpensive and things like carrots and cabbage and onions also inexpensive and healthy. A bag of potatoes too. Get bags of frozen chicken breast tenderloin and look for good deals on bulk packages of meat that you can split up in freezer bags.

Any fresh veg that you can't eat before it spoils be sure to freeze so it does not go to waste.

Build up your collection of spices and seasonings.

With the above you can do lots of great soups and stir frys.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Is this financial situation permanent or not? That will dictate your approach.

If you want to lose weight, all you have to do is eat less, and that should cost less. If you are on a tight budget, you need to make sure you get enough calories first. But you also want to be healthy. Keep some things in mind: Any restriction will add exponentially to the degree of difficulty in creating a good menu for a reasonable cost. Comply to the restrictions you have to, don't impose arbitrary rules on yourself. "Clean food" is a nebolus term that will make it especially difficult for you. Also consider if you need to eat low carb (carb is cheap) and cut gluten, sodium and dairy. Most foods can be part of a healthy diet. No foods are mandatory. I heard cauliflower was exceptionally exprensive in the US now. If so, don't buy lots of cauliflower. Some foods that are versatile and cheap: Eggs, tuna, chicken, pork, onions, potatoes, rice, pasta, oatmeal, canned tomatoes, dried beans and lentils, oil, frozen vegetables, apples, oranges, bananas, peanut butter. Cook your meals yourself (I think you already do that, continue). Don't overbuy, don't waste. Buy regular, not "organic" or name brand. Look at the unit price. Buy in season.
  • GoalWeight165by2018
    GoalWeight165by2018 Posts: 48 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/08/01/337141837/cheap-eats-cookbook-shows-how-to-eat-well-on-a-food-stamp-budget

There are good recipes in here, I've made them before.

Also dried beans - really cheap, super good for you. Sweet potatoes, too.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    learn to coupon, shop the sale ads and combine coupons to lower your out of pocket. My family is on a budget too, I buy sunday papers and cut coupons, shop the sales and use store perk points/cash to get my groceries pretty cheap.
  • eeejer
    eeejer Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    tuna
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You can get bags of frozen veggies for less than a buck in some stores...also, look for your brown rice in a bulk section of the store, as it's usually cheaper to buy that way. Can you guys compromise on one milk for your coffee to cut down on buying two different types?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I buy my seasonings on line in bulk. Frontier Natural Products has a good all purpose herb blend and an Italian seasoning blend (both no salt) but you need to buy a pound to get the savings. It costs about $15 dollars for a pound instead of $3 for a tiny jar. If you can find some friends to split it with, it is a big savings.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    budgetbytes.com/ is an awesome website for inexpensive meals.

this
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! So here's the thing: my grocery budget for my husband and is usually 150, and that has to last us for a good two weeks until we shop again. Living in the New Jersey/NYC area, food is pricey around us. Anyone can provide a list of foods we can get on a budget that are clean? I already gave up drinks, we only drink water, and he has coffee with skim milk and I with almond milk when craving coffee. Also, we do brown rice and cauliflower rice, a lot! Need sodium free condiments and gluten free and low carb foods. Any suggestions will be amazing. Thanks in advance! Tiff

my first question is why does it have to be sodium and gluten free and low carb?

Does either of you have Celiacs? or is this a personal choice?
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Shop Aldi and Save a Lot. Frozen veggies or local farmers markets are great for cheap produce. Skinless chicken breast is only $2/pound. Dried beans are inexpensive as are potatoes and sweet potatoes. Eat what's on sale. Check the store flyers and plan out your week.
  • Antd412
    Antd412 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Frozen chicken breast, yogurt, tuna, beans
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have less than $100 biweekly for groceries and one thing I've learned is to make large meals that last several days.

For example soups or lasagnas. You just new to pick a low sodium low carb gluten free meal, and make enough to last all week. Portion it out ahead of time so you won't eat tomorrow's lunch accidentally. If the food is not enough then supplement with salad.

Good luck!
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Saving money is pretty easy when you go back to basics, dry beans, rice, pasta, frozen veggies/fruit (which will eliminate spoilage which can be a big money waster) potatoes, oats etc

low sodium flavour additions can fairly simple - I opt for things like garlic, onion, chili peppers, ginger (which freezes great) You could also invest in a couple of windowsill herbs - they will keep giving back! (My grocery store sells sizable plants at about 3$, with spring upon us the local greenhouse might have it even cheaper since people are starting their gardens soon)

Gluten free can be pretty pricey because it's so trendy right now, I would stick to whole foods as they generally (minus my suggested pasta) are gluten free by nature.

Low carb, also trendy, and more difficult if you don't want to eat cheaper things like beans/legumes for protein sources. If you are looking at a big portion of your budget going to animal proteins then I would suggest taking a monthly trip to a big box store to stock up and freeze into portions (I used to do this years back when I was a meat eater and it really helped us stay on budget)

• smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    smit7633 wrote: »
    My husband and I have less than $100 biweekly for groceries and one thing I've learned is to make large meals that last several days.

For example soups or lasagnas. You just new to pick a low sodium low carb gluten free meal, and make enough to last all week. Portion it out ahead of time so you won't eat tomorrow's lunch accidentally. If the food is not enough then supplement with salad.

Good luck!

Also we cut way back on meat and that saved us quite a bit. When you only eat 4 oz of chicken each, a bag of frozen chicken breasts lasts quite a while!
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    smit7633 wrote: »

Good luck!

I agree with the bolded part. My husband and I average $80/week for the two of us. To be fair, we live in the Southwest which is far cheaper than New Jersey/NYC. We typically make two dinners to last us for the week. Pasta, calzones, and pizza can all be made inexpensively and in large portions. Depending on what you put in them, quesadillas, enchiladas, burgers (meat or black bean), soups and casseroles are the same way. Vegetable soup will typically make 3-4 dinners for the two of us. We have made tomato soup from fresh tomatoes, corn chowder, butternut squash soup, and a hearty soup with lots of veggies and some beans and pasta. Beef chili is more expensive to make due to the meat, but we can typically stretch it a little farther since it is so heavy, especially when we have cornbread with it (very cheap to make).

I realize most of these are not low carb as you requested, but I suspect higher carb foods will generally make your dollar stretch farther, so if low carb isn't medically necessary you may want to reconsider that restriction for budget purposes.

As others have said, canned and frozen veggies can be cheap. Shop sales. Buy certain foods like beans and oatmeal in bulk. Freeze meat if you buy it in bulk for a savings.
  • beautifultippz
    beautifultippz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Omg these are all amazing suggestions. Thank you! I don't know how to reply individually so here it goes: we are actually learning to eat smaller portions and already see the difference! We definitely buy a lot of frozen veggies and chicken, that's helping. I have gluten intolerance and have Graves Disease and PCOS plus hypertension so it's important that I stay low sodium and low carb as well as low sugar. I'm definitely trying the links provided, already searching! We have grocery shopping coming up so let's see if we can keep it at less that 150 now! Also, this is our financial situation for a while; we used to spend so much more on food because we love to eat! But we cook a lot at home so I can see us saving more. Again. Thank you all. This is a great community! Bless y'all hearts!
  • funkymorganicsx
    funkymorganicsx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I also suggest ALDI. They have items that are cheaper than anywhere, even Walmart. Greek yogurt for example 60 cents a piece where walmart is 1.00 usually if not more..I buy organic milk which is $3.69 at Walmart but only $2.39 at Aldi ( I just discovered Aldi yesterday and it rocked my world). They have plenty a nice healthy foods section..I got some frozen quinoa with spinach and garbanzo beans..lots of frozen meats general I would say it is one of the cheapest grocery stores with healthy options.