Options
2»

Replies

• WastedGetsSmaller
    WastedGetsSmaller Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    elsesvan wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice. For the last 6 months, I've been steadily getting smaller in size, but the scale hasn't changed at all. I am stuck in a 5lb range and I kept going up and down in that range for no discernable reason.

I measure myself once a month and I've lost 7-20cms from everywhere on my body since September last year. So I just don't understand how the scale hasn't changed at all. The app I use to log my daily weight has a trend setting, so even my trend weight has more or less remained the same. I have the trend set to 90 days since I'm aiming for slow and consistent weight loss, not ridiculously unsustainable large drops.

My diary here is empty because I log all my food through my fitbit app. I weigh everything with a food scale, and log every bite. I prefer the MFP app but I since I use my fitbit to track my cals burned, it makes more sense to log everything there. I have a charge HR so I know my cals burned are as close to accurate as possible. I've even tested the heart rate monitor against one in hospital, and it is accurate both on the high end and the low end.

I am an ethical vegan, and have been for about 7 years. I don't eat a lot of pre-packaged foods and prefer to cook my meals myself so I know exactly what is in them. I also inadvertently intermittent fast as I don't feel hungry during the day. I usually eat all my calories between 6pm and midnight.

I eat an average of 1300ish a day. Sometimes more. Sometimes less. According to my fitbit I burn an average of around 2200 cals a day [including TDEE] so I have a solid deficit. I should be losing, right? I really have no idea why I am not.

I do a combination of running, pilates, treadmilling, elliptical-ing and very light strength training [mainly body weight exercises] every day. I find it quite difficult to stay still so even on my rest days I usually get in a walk or a light pilates session.

I drink a lot of water and green tea throughout the day, and aim to have at least 3.5 litres between the two. On top of that I also drink copious amounts of other herbal teas and coke zero [I am addicted, I swear. Lol]

On paper I can't think of anything I could change to get the scale to move again, so I am open to advice. I have had my thyroid checked and have had blood work done and everything is working just fine so I don't understand what is going on. The frustration that I am feeling is intolerable. I know I should just be happy because I'm losing size and that's more important than the number, but I can't help but feel frustrated. If I could even lose 10 more lbs on the scale and then maintain there I think I would be happy. This plateau is a special kind of hell.

Gold star if you read all this! I'm sorry, I just wanted to give as much detail as possible. Thank you in advance :)

I wouldn't worry since you sound healthy, and loosing cm ;).....other than that I notice it is aprilfools day today- maybe that is the "problem"? ;)

Hahaha maybe the scales are tricking me. I wish!
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    abadvat wrote: »
    Can you share your stats and activity levels please?
    Not a user so just ensuring - Is fitbit a heart monitor or an activity tracker?

It's a heart rate monitor and an activity tracker. So it will count my steps and recognize exercise, but the calories burned are based on my heart rate.

I'm 5'5, 29, female, on the lower end of the BMI range. I aim to do 60-90 mins of cardio a day. I don't count pilates or strength training in that. My pilates/strength sessions are usually 40-60mins.

Should you be trying to lose weight if your are on the lower end of BMI?

Well yes, because I still have weight to lose.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    Scamd83 wrote: »
    Do people seriously get disappointed at losing size but not weight? This is the ideal, dream scenario everyone should want. If you lost as much weight as you've lost size, but your measurements remained the same as they were or even increased, would that make you happier? Is the number on the scale your main concern rather than what really matters?

The number is not the only thing that matters but it does matter to a degree because I feel like I'm pushing myself about as hard as I can and not seeing results. That is frustrating, even with the inch loss.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    b7mapile wrote: »
    If you're trying to lose weight, other than the great suggestions above, try doing high intensity interval training.

My runs/treadmill sessions/elliptical sessions usually HIIT but maybe I'll see if I can change it up or something. Thank you :)
  • LeaMarkum
    LeaMarkum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Throw away your scale and focus on your fitness. It isn't uncommon for your body to change shape/shrink as you get stronger without your weight changing much. You're gaining muscle mass and losing fat.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Do people seriously get disappointed at losing size but not weight? This is the ideal, dream scenario everyone should want. If you lost as much weight as you've lost size, but your measurements remained the same as they were or even increased, would that make you happier? Is the number on the scale your main concern rather than what really matters?

The number is not the only thing that matters but it does matter to a degree because I feel like I'm pushing myself about as hard as I can and not seeing results. That is frustrating, even with the inch loss.

But you are getting results, your size is decreasing. If your weight was decreasing but not your size, that would be a false result. Don't you get it? You're winning.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    LeaMarkum wrote: »
    Throw away your scale and focus on your fitness. It isn't uncommon for your body to change shape/shrink as you get stronger without your weight changing much. You're gaining muscle mass and losing fat.

I've tried to do that for the last 6 months but after no change at all it is frustrating.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options

But you are getting results, your size is decreasing. If your weight was decreasing but not your size, that would be a false result. Don't you get it? You're winning.

It doesn't feel like winning, but thank you for saying that.
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    How much do you currently weigh?
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    What are your height and weight? It seems on the forums a lot of people seem to be at a healthy weight and should be focusing on body recomp to continue to lean out, rather than continue to lose more weight. I don't know much about body recomp but it seems it has much more to do with heavy lifting and less cardio;)
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    What are your height and weight? It seems on the forums a lot of people seem to be at a healthy weight and should be focusing on body recomp to continue to lean out, rather than continue to lose more weight. I don't know much about body recomp but it seems it has much more to do with heavy lifting and less cardio;)

I'm quite afraid of lifting, haha. I'm fine with body weight exercises for strength/leaning out but actual weights scare me!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    What are your height and weight? If you are already at the lower end of a healthy BMI, even if it's more than your mind wants to weigh, and your body is getting smaller and denser, that sounds like the absolute dream best result anyone anywhere could ever hope for!

Heavier bones mean stronger bones, denser tighter tissue means more of you is muscle, all of that is good good good.

If you are doing endurance training, though, a lot of long sessions of running or biking or whatever, there is a phenomenon associated with undereating, your body will hold onto the fat it has more stubbornly and resist building more muscle if you do not eat enough to "fund" the long workouts. This applies to athletes more than civilians, but does happen.

Why are you afraid of lifting weights?
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    What are your height and weight? If you are already at the lower end of a healthy BMI, even if it's more than your mind wants to weigh, and your body is getting smaller and denser, that sounds like the absolute dream best result anyone anywhere could ever hope for!

Heavier bones mean stronger bones, denser tighter tissue means more of you is muscle, all of that is good good good.

If you are doing endurance training, though, a lot of long sessions of running or biking or whatever, there is a phenomenon associated with undereating, your body will hold onto the fat it has more stubbornly and resist building more muscle if you do not eat enough to "fund" the long workouts. This applies to athletes more than civilians, but does happen.

I lifted weights a few years ago and I didn't like the way it changed the shape of my body. It wasn't a look that I liked or felt comfortable with so I stopped. I've been afraid of lifting ever since then because it took a long time to get back to the shape I wanted to be. My shoulders in particular became quite bulky and I really hated it.

Is it better to break up longer workouts into shorter sessions? I normally run for an hour and a half. Would it be better to do like two 45 min runs instead? Or would that not make a difference?

I've said earlier but I'm 5'5 and on the lower end of the BMI scale :) The weight I want to lose is purely vanity weight and I do know that, but it feels like a kick in the teeth to lose 60lbs and then stall so close to my goal, lol.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

I lifted weights a few years ago and I didn't like the way it changed the shape of my body. It wasn't a look that I liked or felt comfortable with so I stopped. I've been afraid of lifting ever since then because it took a long time to get back to the shape I wanted to be. My shoulders in particular became quite bulky and I really hated it.

Is it better to break up longer workouts into shorter sessions? I normally run for an hour and a half. Would it be better to do like two 45 min runs instead? Or would that not make a difference?

I've said earlier but I'm 5'5 and on the lower end of the BMI scale :) The weight I want to lose is purely vanity weight and I do know that, but it feels like a kick in the teeth to lose 60lbs and then stall so close to my goal, lol.

Yes those are long runs. I don't disapprove of wanting to diet/train to get a certain look, and yeah you may be doing something counterproductive with the lower protein and longer cardio sessions, it's within the realm of possibility anyway. I still tend to think that if you are shrinking horizontally you are doing the right things though - maybe your body has decided this is the right weight, and there isn't anything *healthy* you can do to get it lower, because lower mass is less healthy for you, personally?

Even if lifting bulked you up when you were bigger, it may not do that now that you are more slender, btw. What I get is "definition", long lean muscles - my daughter who carries more pounds on a similar frame gets to looking bigger when she lifts.

Anyway - since you are eating so low and working out so long, read this, and see if it resonates with you.

outsideonline.com/1923816/if-youre-not-eating-enough-you-might-gain-weight
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    I have a client that hasn't lost a pound in three years but she's gone down a few sizes in suits.
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question why won't you say your weight, instead of you are on the low end of normal.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    Rottified wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    I have a client that hasn't lost a pound in three years but she's gone down a few sizes in suits.

Oh gosh that would seriously mess with my head, haha.

But still, that helps me feel better! Thank you xo
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I feel like you are avoiding posting your weight for a reason, meaning it's a very low weight. Probably you don't need to lose more weight and should focus more on body re composition. If you are still losing inches, it seems like you are already doing body recomposition? I really don't think your TDEE and calorie consumption is right though. Most likely you are eating closer to maintenence than you think.
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options

Yes those are long runs. I don't disapprove of wanting to diet/train to get a certain look, and yeah you may be doing something counterproductive with the lower protein and longer cardio sessions, it's within the realm of possibility anyway. I still tend to think that if you are shrinking horizontally you are doing the right things though - maybe your body has decided this is the right weight, and there isn't anything *healthy* you can do to get it lower, because lower mass is less healthy for you, personally?

Even if lifting bulked you up when you were bigger, it may not do that now that you are more slender, btw. What I get is "definition", long lean muscles - my daughter who carries more pounds on a similar frame gets to looking bigger when she lifts.

Anyway - since you are eating so low and working out so long, read this, and see if it resonates with you.

outsideonline.com/1923816/if-youre-not-eating-enough-you-might-gain-weight

Thank you for the link :)

I'll consider trying weights again because you're right, my body is vastly different to what it was when I last tried lifting. So I can't really predict what will happen.

Thank you again :)
  • WastedGetsSmaller
    Options
    rosey35 wrote: »
    Just a quick question why won't you say your weight, instead of you are on the low end of normal.

Because I don't want my weight to be the focus of the answers, haha.