Can cats become lactose intolerant?

Options
13»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    I'm with everyone who says not to let cats drink cow milk. Mine accidentally drank some one morning, and promptly vomited.

What a catastrophe.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Does the type of milk you give them affect the flavor of the meat, like grass-fed vs corn-fed beef?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    be careful! if you switch your cat to an all vegetarian diet, he'll end up walking around the house judging you.

So, it'll be a cat?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    lactase enzymes may be lacking in cats?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    April Fools, right?

Anyway, I agree with those who say cats should drink water (and they get lots of hydration from food, actually) and are carnivores. Cats will drink milk if they can, but IME they will vomit if they do (we tried giving the cat milk when I was a kid and since then I've had cats that snuck milk out of a glass when some human in the house was drinking it--naughty cats). The weirdest was when I left a container of cottage cheese open on the counter and the cat (who was not normally into sneaking human food) was gobbling it down when I returned to the room. No, it did not agree with the cat.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Cats are lactose intolerant. They'll still drink milk. Cats can be stupid like that.
    I would not bother to give them a non-dairy milk substitute. Just give them fresh water daily.
    My cat saves her calories for food. ;)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I think cats just prefer not to drink milk once they realize they arent baby cows?
  • catmaster
    catmaster Posts: 34 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly, I haven't had a problem with milk.
  • Dcvanasse
    Dcvanasse Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cats may like milk but they sure don't NEED to have it and in fact many don't tolerate it well. They definitely don't need almond milk. They need a good quality cat food and water. Perhaps your veterinarian would be a better place to ask?
  • lesleyloo7879
    lesleyloo7879 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    What in the Flying Feek is this OMG LOL! I had to leave my shop because I was laughing so hard
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Cat's are "Obligate Carnivores"...meaning meat eaters. Use a search engine and read up on it, even dry foods containing grain can cause problems. I'm living through this at the moment!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    Are you kitten me? This again? Excellent?
  • catmaster
    catmaster Posts: 34 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Laura732 wrote: »
    Cat's are "Obligate Carnivores"...meaning meat eaters. Use a search engine and read up on it, even dry foods containing grain can cause problems. I'm living through this at the moment!

I'm pretty much obligated to everything - string, meat, fish, string, cat nip the usual things. Depends on my mood though.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    2h83kfp.jpg

This is hilarious! We grew up by an elderly farmer who raised assorted crops and a cow-calf operation, and he kept one milk cow. It was a crazy showtime when he milked, because the robust population of barn cats were all in attendance, and he would squirt it at them, and then leave them a pan when he was done.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Laura732 wrote: »

Yep, I've always fed my cats a predominantly meat diet, they get dry food too, but a grain free one. I just want to smash people in the face who feed their cats (or dogs) a vegetarian or vegan diet :rage: