Dr McDougall way of eating

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    cpalumbo89 wrote: »
    OP, you should watch Forks Over Knives it's a documentary on Netflix it's very interesting.

No, just no. This documentary (if it can even be called that) is laughable at best.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    The reverse of Keto, now there would be an interesting book idea.
    I'm looking to get rich.
    Everyone else is writing a book.
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    wow how many of you have actually tried this way? You can still eat good and be satisfied with your food choices and they are very flavorful. I feel better eating this way than I have ever felt. My body pain and plantar fictitious is gone. You can eat starches without all the fat that normally people add to them. I was actually looking for people that "like" this way of eating.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Anyone who claims they cure diseases that have no cure like u.c deserves the ridicule they get.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Holy crap. This guy is new to me. Lol. He might be he quack of all quacks. Stay far, far away, OP.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Quack, Quack. Why not just eat food you like, that fills you up, within your calorie range? Keep it simple. I have too many people telling me what I should do, I don't need someone telling what to eat.
  • kldesigns
    kldesigns Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    everyone's a doctor.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Holy crap. This guy is new to me. Lol. He might be he quack of all quacks. Stay far, far away, OP.

I see this one all the time here in Boulder where the woo tends to run rampant. It's, quite often, some of the most dangerous advice I've read in many cases.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan and know that many vegans bow down and kiss his feet...but he's seriously nuts. There's really nothing special about his dietary plan beyond the fact that it is incredibly restrictive, and puts you at a very low calorie level each day.

However...his line of soups are great to keep in my desk drawer at work on the days I don't have a lunch. They're actually pretty tasty...but really the only reason I get his brand as opposed to any other is because I have a lot of food allergies and I know that these are "safe" for me, and have a long shelf life.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I kinda eat that way anyway, after a scary cholesterol result, and I feel the best I ever have, quite frankly, but didn't know it was a "program" and the sale of branded products turns me off as much as Atkins, weight watchers and all the others out there selling you stuff instead of teaching people how to eat real food. It has similarities with Ornish/Esselstyn. I don't get the hostility. Eat more green stuff, more fruit, more whole grains, less meat and cut out the crap. Seems pretty sensible to me.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    wow how many of you have actually tried this way? You can still eat good and be satisfied with your food choices and they are very flavorful. I feel better eating this way than I have ever felt. My body pain and plantar fictitious is gone. You can eat starches without all the fat that normally people add to them. I was actually looking for people that "like" this way of eating.

There can be good things that come out of overall bad products. As long as you're still following an overall healthy diet, then it's great that it works for you! I often already eat my starches without a lot of fat, that's just logical when it comes to bringing down calories in a recipe. :smile:
    Unfortunately it seems as if the whole scope of his plan is bunk, though maybe someone else will chime in that they've liked some of his stuff too.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Dr. McDougall is the founder and director of the nationally renowned McDougall Program: a ten-day residential program that he and Mary McDougall host at a luxury resort in Santa Rosa, CA where medical miracles occur through diet and lifestyle changes.

Full Participant (medical care, laboratory, etc.)
    $5,460/person (double)
    $6,060/person (single)

Humanity is doomed.

Breast cancer is a dominant fear for many women. Fortunately, it’s also largely a preventable disease with the right diet and a healthy lifestyle. Contrary to what most people hope for, early detection by mammography causes more harm than good. Radical surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy are brutal remedies universally prescribed to women with breast cancer, yet they provide little survival benefit. Hormone manipulation is of some value, however the best and most overlooked approach for treating breast cancer is a change in diet and exercise.

Due to modern medical belief in early detection with PSA testing, diagnosis of prostate cancer has increased at least 10-fold in the past 2 decades. But many doctors will tell patients that testing does more harm than good because over 90% of men diagnosed will not die from this disease. Those few who have an aggressive form are usually far beyond the reach of current therapies at the time of diagnosis. Considering the terrible side effects of surgical intervention against the small likelihood of any benefit, the McDougall Program is almost always the best option for dealing with prostate cancer.

As someone who spends his days working with children with cancer, I can say, in my professional opinion this guy is a *kitten* idiot.

Amen!!!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

No offense to the OP, but that's some great unintentional comedy right there.
  • goingtobefit2015
    edited April 2016
    Options

Have you ever jumped off a cliff because someone said it was good for you?

You don't need to try something that is obviously a load of utter hogwash to know it is, in fact, utter hogwash.

Also, psychosomatics.

I'm not a strict follower of "his" plan, I am concentrating on Less/no processed foods, no animal products, whole foods, whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, fruit etc. How can that be SO wrong. It's healthy foods and I do get my calories and protein in daily. I've never even read that he "HE" restricts calories, in fact they all say UNLIMITED portions of whole foods! I don't desire to eat HIGH FAT, CHOLESTEROL OR JUNK. I think that is a personal decision and I'm not following anyone's way, it's what I want to do and I look at those that are doing what I want to do!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options

You don't need to try something that is obviously a load of utter hogwash to know it is, in fact, utter hogwash.

Also, psychosomatics.

I'm not a strict follower of "his" plan, I am concentrating on Less/no processed foods, no animal products, whole foods, whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, fruit etc. How can that be SO wrong. It's healthy foods and I do get my calories and protein in daily. I've never even read that he "HE" restricts calories, in fact they all say UNLIMITED portions of whole foods! I don't desire to eat HIGH FAT, CHOLESTEROL OR JUNK. I think that is a personal decision and I'm not following anyone's way, it's what I want to do and I look at those that are doing what I want to do!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. Your original post asks if there is "anyone else" following the plan. Which implies that YOU are following the plan. But now you say you aren't following the plan and in fact haven't even really read about it.

Can you clarify what you're looking for here?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    People are so gullible.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options

Also, psychosomatics.

You can gain weight eating whole foods, just like you can gain weight eating 'unwhole' foods. Any food will cause a gain if you're eating over your maintenance level calories. There's also nothing bad about foods that contain fat and cholesterol, and labeling foods 'junk', 'bad' or 'good' doesn't really mean anything since they're subjective terms. One guru will tell you meat is evil. The next one will tell you that whole grains are evil. What it comes down to is salespeople trying to make a buck via their books/programs/supplements/'must have' equipment/videos/retreats/tv appearances etc etc.

There's nothing wrong with having an eating preference, but when a guru pushes his latest gimmick as THE way to eat for optimal health, that's when people call bull. Especially when the guru is telling people they have to cut out entire food groups.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Some people will say or do anything to make a buck and leave their conscience at the door.. Other people will pay an infinite amount of $$$ for "quick" and "special" weight loss plans.
    While both forms of these people abound , this spinning will never stop, and it will keep getting weirder and weirder to try and come out with the next best thing..
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    McDougall Program Diet Reviews:
    Read Why This Is The WORST Diet Book Written In The History Of Mankind

https://www.enlita.com/blog/mcdougall-program-diet-review-criticism

Grade: F Dr. McDougall writes a book based on misinformation (hogwash) in a attempt to convert you to his vegan (no animal products) agenda.

In summary, the McDougall Program is basically false propaganda to convert people to veganism. I am not opposed to veganism but I am opposed to the misinformation that was presented by Dr. McDougall.

I'm honestly not sure if you believe that was a remotely credible review or you were just hoping no one would actually open the link and read it.

She deducted points because he failed to address "toxicity", review "effective weight loss products", or advise readers on how to tailor the program to "your unique biochemistry".

I'm assuming all of these topics are covered in her program, "Dr Pearsall's 500 Calorie Protocol" that comes with her homeopathic supplements.

• goingtobefit2015
    Options

Also, psychosomatics.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question. Your original post asks if there is "anyone else" following the plan. Which implies that YOU are following the plan. But now you say you aren't following the plan and in fact haven't even really read about it.

Can you clarify what you're looking for here?

I never said I didn't read his book I've read his books and many others. I said I may not follow it entirely as they teach. I basically wanted to find othe r s on a plant based diet. I'm done here with all the negative comments.