Options
124»

Replies

• Skinnybetcher
    Skinnybetcher Posts: 17 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Ketosis is not actually good for you though. Also as far as atkins and keto diets go, I have yet to meet anyone keep their weight off LONG TERM with these diets as it IS possible to have metabolic damage due to restricting your carbs. I am someone who has had to deal with metabolic damage over the last few years from following extremely low carb diets. Now at the end of the day, you have to do what works best for you - so I'm not trying to put anyone down who enjoys or follows a low carb diet. If that's what you like, then that's what matters. With high carb vegan diets, these are supposed to be long term solutions, not short term. You can look at people like Freelee and "HighCarbHannah" on YouTube, who have achieved long term, excellent results from following Mcdougall style diets. But for MOST people, they are not realistic to follow. As a New Yorker, I'm not going to back out of having my NY style pizza. And no, Daiya pizza and vegan style pizza's simply do not cut it. Secondly, I believe that "soy" based products are actually worse for you than consuming meat. Soy protein isolate for instance, is much more cancerous than meat. So unless you're ONLY consuming whole plant foods which are literally just fruit, nuts, avocados, vegetables, legumes, and rice...it's not going to put you at "less of a risk" for cancer. Variety is the spice of life, and I don't think restricting yourself to only certain groups of foods, no matter what diet you follow - is the answer

Oh and about meat being linked to cancer... It's not JUST meat. I do know someone who reversed her cancer completely with a raw food diet. So yes...food can definitely play a huge role in our health. But it isn't fair to say meat is the only and number one cause. Most people, particularly Americans- aren't active. On top of that, because our food is highly processed it's easy to over consume. So if you're going to over consume AND not exercise to burn those calories off, of course it's possible to get cancer and all sorts of diseases. But we have to take into account other factors too, like genetics.

First, there are only a few studies that would suggest a lot of processed red meat has been linked to some cancers, but considering there are tons of varieties of cancers, ones diet is will play less of a roll than you think. Genetics will play a much larger roll. My family and my wife's family have been meat and potatoes types their entire life (English and Irish respectively) and its very typical to see our members live into their 90s (in fact, my overweight great uncle just past away at 96 years old).

Youtube people like Freelee are not people you should follow considering they know nothing about nutrition and mainly spout nonsense. Freelee has maintained her weight loss because she is a long distance cyclist. And if you cycle as much as her, you could be skinny on any diet.

Out of curiosity, how did Keto or low carb cause you metabolic damage. There are tons of people who have been in long term states of ketosis and are healthy.

Yes absolutely, I agree that of course genetics is really important too! There's lots of people who live up to even 100 who consume lots of red meats. Right - in order to eat those types of foods - super high carb...you can't really get away with that without doing a lot of cycling. You can meet almost every single nutritional need through eating a high carb plant based diet, but still vitamin B12 will always be deficient. (Unless you consume nutritional yeast, but I'm not sure if that B12 will even absorb into the body or not).

As far as the metabolic damage goes, I would say the number one reason I did have that is due to my large calorie restriction, and because I was reducing my carbs to pretty much 0 carbs per day. I was consuming anywhere from 800-1000 calories. I'm 5'2. I need at LEAST 1,200 calories per day, assuming that I'm not even exercising. On the low carb diet I was running about 30 minutes-1 hour a day. So I put my body into starvation mode after I went off it. No matter how much exercise, calorie counting I did - I simply gained weight.

But luckily I'm not struggling with this anymore and my body has adjusted to allowing me to eat more calories + exercise and it is now finally resulting in weight loss. This was just my experience though.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    lyssa1210 wrote: »
    wow how many of you have actually tried this way? You can still eat good and be satisfied with your food choices and they are very flavorful. I feel better eating this way than I have ever felt. My body pain and plantar fictitious is gone. You can eat starches without all the fat that normally people add to them. I was actually looking for people that "like" this way of eating.

I too was very surprised with all the negative comments when I posted in the community with a question regarding vegetarianism last night. These people who have posted are not experts on nutrition . Nor am I . I have read a lot of books on diet and nutrition . Although his plan seems challenging to stick with long term , if it makes you feel better than why not? Good luck to you.

Me too. Shocked. This doctor has obviously found a cure for cancer, he should get the Nobel prize! He's been able to solve the mystery that scientists have been working on for decades!

Maybe he should tackle AIDS next. A vegan diet should do the trick.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    Ketosis is not actually good for you though. Also as far as atkins and keto diets go, I have yet to meet anyone keep their weight off LONG TERM with these diets as it IS possible to have metabolic damage due to restricting your carbs. I am someone who has had to deal with metabolic damage over the last few years from following extremely low carb diets. Now at the end of the day, you have to do what works best for you - so I'm not trying to put anyone down who enjoys or follows a low carb diet. If that's what you like, then that's what matters. With high carb vegan diets, these are supposed to be long term solutions, not short term. You can look at people like Freelee and "HighCarbHannah" on YouTube, who have achieved long term, excellent results from following Mcdougall style diets. But for MOST people, they are not realistic to follow. As a New Yorker, I'm not going to back out of having my NY style pizza. And no, Daiya pizza and vegan style pizza's simply do not cut it. Secondly, I believe that "soy" based products are actually worse for you than consuming meat. Soy protein isolate for instance, is much more cancerous than meat. So unless you're ONLY consuming whole plant foods which are literally just fruit, nuts, avocados, vegetables, legumes, and rice...it's not going to put you at "less of a risk" for cancer. Variety is the spice of life, and I don't think restricting yourself to only certain groups of foods, no matter what diet you follow - is the answer

Oh and about meat being linked to cancer... It's not JUST meat. I do know someone who reversed her cancer completely with a raw food diet. So yes...food can definitely play a huge role in our health. But it isn't fair to say meat is the only and number one cause. Most people, particularly Americans- aren't active. On top of that, because our food is highly processed it's easy to over consume. So if you're going to over consume AND not exercise to burn those calories off, of course it's possible to get cancer and all sorts of diseases. But we have to take into account other factors too, like genetics.

First, there are only a few studies that would suggest a lot of processed red meat has been linked to some cancers, but considering there are tons of varieties of cancers, ones diet is will play less of a roll than you think. Genetics will play a much larger roll. My family and my wife's family have been meat and potatoes types their entire life (English and Irish respectively) and its very typical to see our members live into their 90s (in fact, my overweight great uncle just past away at 96 years old).

Youtube people like Freelee are not people you should follow considering they know nothing about nutrition and mainly spout nonsense. Freelee has maintained her weight loss because she is a long distance cyclist. And if you cycle as much as her, you could be skinny on any diet.

Out of curiosity, how did Keto or low carb cause you metabolic damage. There are tons of people who have been in long term states of ketosis and are healthy.

Yes absolutely, I agree that of course genetics is really important too! There's lots of people who live up to even 100 who consume lots of red meats. Right - in order to eat those types of foods - super high carb...you can't really get away with that without doing a lot of cycling. You can meet almost every single nutritional need through eating a high carb plant based diet, but still vitamin B12 will always be deficient. (Unless you consume nutritional yeast, but I'm not sure if that B12 will even absorb into the body or not).

As far as the metabolic damage goes, I would say the number one reason I did have that is due to my large calorie restriction, and because I was reducing my carbs to pretty much 0 carbs per day. I was consuming anywhere from 800-1000 calories. I'm 5'2. I need at LEAST 1,200 calories per day, assuming that I'm not even exercising. On the low carb diet I was running about 30 minutes-1 hour a day. So I put my body into starvation mode after I went off it. No matter how much exercise, calorie counting I did - I simply gained weight.

But luckily I'm not struggling with this anymore and my body has adjusted to allowing me to eat more calories + exercise and it is now finally resulting in weight loss. This was just my experience though.

Starvation mode isn't real. There is adaptive thermogenesis (metabolic changes) but your body will not store fat with very low levels of calories. What your body will do is become more efficient and slow down metabolic functions to ensure the brain and organs have enough calories. So LCHF wasn't really your issue, and neither was ketosis; the issue was you were on a starvation type diet, which is what you assumed lead to metabolic damage. When you switched diets, you also probably reverse dieted, which eventually allowed your metabolic rate to pick back up, which enabled you to get back into a deficit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I personally don't see anything wrong with eating a plant based diet primarily rich in starchy vegetables.

The distinct lack of meats is what does it for me.

But I'm all for people doing whatever works for them.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I personally don't see anything wrong with eating a plant based diet primarily rich in starchy vegetables.

I've been a vegetarian my entire life, so it's all the same to me. :wink:

Although, i think he actually does allow some meat in small quantities in his diet. It's not vegan, it's "plant based". So most of the meals are centered around a starchy vegetable, as far as i know small quantities of all other foods are allowed. It follows a 80/10/10 ratio, which i personally cannot do.

Meh, some people enjoy eating this way. *shrug*
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    This thread is awful. Freelee (isn't that the banana girl??), starvation mode, fats are bad, that this doctor can cure autoimmune diseases, etc. It gives me a headache.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    lyssa1210 wrote: »
    wow how many of you have actually tried this way? You can still eat good and be satisfied with your food choices and they are very flavorful. I feel better eating this way than I have ever felt. My body pain and plantar fictitious is gone. You can eat starches without all the fat that normally people add to them. I was actually looking for people that "like" this way of eating.

I too was very surprised with all the negative comments when I posted in the community with a question regarding vegetarianism last night. These people who have posted are not experts on nutrition . Nor am I . I have read a lot of books on diet and nutrition . Although his plan seems challenging to stick with long term , if it makes you feel better than why not? Good luck to you.

Me too. Shocked. This doctor has obviously found a cure for cancer, he should get the Nobel prize! He's been able to solve the mystery that scientists have been working on for decades!

Maybe he should tackle AIDS next. A vegan diet should do the trick.

You do your name justice. :wink:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I've been a vegetarian my entire life, so it's all the same to me. :wink:

Although, i think he actually does allow some meat in small quantities in his diet. It's not vegan, it's "plant based". So most of the meals are centered around a starchy vegetable, as far as i know small quantities of all other foods are allowed. It follows a 80/10/10 ratio, which i personally cannot do.

Meh, some people enjoy eating this way. *shrug*

I personally don't care- I have the same opinoin "meh- enjoy what you eat"
    as long as it works for your goals.

I love veggies personally- I don't get meat eaters who are like anti-vegetarian. It's like- you gotta (should) eat most of that anyway- and it takes up so little calorie space. You can eat one and love the other- it's not necessarily ALL or nothing.

I.E.- I love the steamables - 4.5 servings.
    HA
    4.5 servings my *kitten*- that whole bags is a single serving!!!!

I love veggies- but I want equal parts veggies and meat LOL- balance!!!