Macros Percentage

Options
What percentage of your daily diet do you have for carbohydrates, protein and fat?
Also does it matter if you go over or under, I always have more carbs and not enough fat?

Replies

• jax_006
    jax_006 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Curious about this too (I'm a newb when it comes to macros).
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Depends on your goal. If you want to build muscle is good to have it 50% protein 30% carbs and 20% fat. But if want to lose weight you switch carbs and protein. So carbs should be 50% and protein 30%.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Many people just go with the defaults. I wanted more carbohydrates, so I adjusted mine after a couple of months. Now I shoot for about 55-60% carbohydrates, 25-30% fat, and 15-20% protein. From experience, I know I feel and perform best within this range.

Your body does require a certain amount of protein and fat to survive. Within the context of a day, it doesn't really matter if you go over or under, but you will want to meet these needs overall.
  • jax_006
    Options
    What percentage of your daily diet do you have for carbohydrates, protein and fat?
    Also does it matter if you go over or under, I always have more carbs and not enough fat?

I do know you can go to http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and it will calculate it for you
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Personal preference.

Find a ratio that suits you, that you can adhere to, that you enjoy and that maximizes athletic performance. Any perceived minimal advantage of one ratio over another is pointless in the long run, and pointless if you can't stick to it.

Some people prefer lower this, higher that, balanced this, balanced that. I personally could think of nothing worse than dropping carbs to low numbers, others find great success that way.

Taking random percentages from people online is no better than picking numbers from a hat. You'll get a lot of generic advice.
    Depends on your goal. If you want to build muscle is good to have it 50% protein 30% carbs and 20% fat. But if want to lose weight you switch carbs and protein. So carbs should be 50% and protein 30%.

Do you have a rationale for this advice?

• jax_006
    Options

Just curious, but why would carbs be so high if you want to lose weight? I am looking to lose weight and I always have the notion that carbs will make you gain (even though they provide us with energy). I have my protein and carbs at both 40% and fat at 20%..I'm still new to this and trying to figure it out. I think this is what IIFYM gave me
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jax_006 wrote: »

Just curious, but why would carbs be so high if you want to lose weight? I am looking to lose weight and I always have the notion that carbs will make you gain (even though they provide us with energy). I have my protein and carbs at both 40% and fat at 20%..I'm still new to this and trying to figure it out. I think this is what IIFYM gave me

Carbohydrates will only make you gain weight if you eat in excess of what your body burns.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I have mine set at 20% protien, 30% fat and 50% carbs. I always try to hit my protein and just let the fats and carbs fall where they land. So far I've lost 38 pounds.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    50c/30p/20f
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    20C/30P/50F
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I'm a 33.3P/33.3C/33.3F kinda guy. Although when I really want to get full, I increase carbs since i find those to be satisfying.
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 here, and then I eat whatever I want for exercise calories. Over the past week, I've seen 143g protein, 220g carbs, and 100g fats on average. Like @kgirlhart , I actively try to make protein (with 157g as goal, that's a stretch), unintentionally blast over on fat, and come nowhere near on carbs.

Really, I eat for protein, overall calories, and satiety, not macros.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Still playing with mine. Trying 40c/35p/25f right now.
    Plan to be hydrostatically weighed (body fat %) this weekend so I can keep closer track but I suspect I will end up flipping the fat & carbs.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I eat high protein as I'm cutting and I want to save as much muscle as possible. 40% protein, 40% carb, 20% fats- I will usually end up under on carbs some maybe over on proteins or fats a little sometimes.

I have lost about 50 lbs of fat and added 10 lbs of muscle doing this.