got some cottage cheese today and....

Options
fishshark
fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
the only brand in stock at whole foods today was Horizon Organic small curd 4% so i didnt really have a choice (i woulda got 4% anyway i love the fats) and OMG I LOVE COTTAGE CHEESE. haha even just plain i love it. my first thought was it tastes like chuncks of mozzerell in milk ha. not as salty as i thought and not as tart as i though maybe its the brand. I chopped up some avocado, tomatoes and drizzled some balsamic... i also have some canned pineapple im gonne try. Thank you are all the suggestions! im actually kind of mad i waited 29 years to eat it haha. yessss. also the texture doesnt bother me at all. yay!

Replies

• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Right?! I still find it ridiculous it took me 32 years lol.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    OMG canned pineapple is my fave because I'm a peon lol
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Curses! Now I'll have to try some. First the kale chips. Now this.
  • buttons602
    buttons602 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hate cottage cheese. I will only eat it if it had fruit in it but I have to force myself
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Horizon Organic cottage cheese is SO GOOD! but for some reason, my husband likes the Lucerne low-fat stuff, which is nearly as tasty. We may have to start having his & hers cottage cheese in the fridge...
  • fishshark
    Options
    Horizon Organic cottage cheese is SO GOOD! but for some reason, my husband likes the Lucerne low-fat stuff, which is nearly as tasty. We may have to start having his & hers cottage cheese in the fridge...

i really love it.. i was kinda surprised because it doesnt have any tang to it so maybe its Horizon... i love it though. im so happy because i wanted to like it so bad
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cottage cheese is da bomb! I love to make a bowl with strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries, and add some cottage cheese to that. It is so good :)

Also, I've heard the less fat, the more "sour" it tastes. I've got 2% small curd and really like it, but apparently 1% is pretty strong
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, I eat it plain or mix in yogurt and chocolate peanut butter protein powder.
    There's a bajillion different cottage cheese combos you can try, sweet or savoury.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,632 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cottage cheese is da bomb! I love to make a bowl with strawberries, blackberries, and blueberries, and add some cottage cheese to that. It is so good :)

Also, I've heard the less fat, the more "sour" it tastes. I've got 2% small curd and really like it, but apparently 1% is pretty strong

I eat the 1% stuff and it doesn't taste sour at all.

Congrats on the cottage cheese love, @fishshark! :)
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I never understood cottage cheese. Im in the gym five days a week and watching what I eat some My *kitten* doesnt look like cottage cheese. I cant see how eating it will help
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Farmers cheese is amazing! It is my favorite!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    If you really want your mind blown get a block of farmers cheese. Mix that up with some onion, salt and pepper and greek yogurt to your desired consistency. You will never buy cottage cheese in a tub with all the crap they add to it again.

Daisy doesn't add anything but frankly it was disappointing to me... the other stuff tastes better.

Still looking for farmers cheese though...
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a favorite of mine. With some lettuce tomato and tuna(no mayo) it makes a nice lunch salad. Als like it on a salad instead of dressing. I mostly like mine with green olives.

Farmers cheese is also really quite good but not always easy to find.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I know. I really like it too...Whenever I'm trying to deficit I buy it thinking it's going to be a great thing but it's actually not, because I love it that much. And the 4% isn't a very large portion for the calories.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid (on a diet) my mom took thin bread put some cottage cheese on it and sprinkled cinnamon. Then broiled it in the oven. It's pretty good that way! I like it with mandarin orange segments, peaches or this week, I've had a hard boiled egg with it.
  • fishshark
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I know. I really like it too...Whenever I'm trying to deficit I buy it thinking it's going to be a great thing but it's actually not, because I love it that much. And the 4% isn't a very large portion for the calories.

i noticed the calories are a bit higher for the 4% so i will try 2% next. I do like full fat dairy tho so maybe il deal with it.
  • fishshark
    Options
    If you really want your mind blown get a block of farmers cheese. Mix that up with some onion, salt and pepper and greek yogurt to your desired consistency. You will never buy cottage cheese in a tub with all the crap they add to it again.

i actually have farmers cheese hah love the stuff i will try it sounds so good!
  • fishshark
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Daisy doesn't add anything but frankly it was disappointing to me... the other stuff tastes better.

disappointed to hear about daisy they are my favorite sour cream ha! The low ingredient list is appealing but oh well!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Last week I mixed it with salsa and nutritional yeast and made a dip for my cucumber. Sounds gross but it was good.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Wish we had this in Canada.
    As for farmers cheese any food mart should have it. I bet your trader joes has it. Usually come in 1lbs block of white goodness and its will be refrigerated beside your yogurts etc.

You are an evil man. I don't think my wallet can handle another TJ trip. :lol: