Need some good advice on eating more healthy

Replies

• ashleybennett210191ab
    Options
    Someone help me out
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Well are there any macros or micros you are low on? Fill your diet with 80% nutritious, colorful, foods you like...and use 20% at your discretion for treats. It is a bit of broad question.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Fruits, vegetables, lean meats, chocolate.
  • bobbyvelez12
    bobbyvelez12 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Agreed need some tips on what to eat looking to lose about 10lbs then start cutting and sculpting my body add me !!!
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think we all know good foods to eat surely, your either looking for a miracle answer that will allow you to eat what you want and get the desired body or you are asking the wrong question my friend! Chuck out any bad foods around your house, keep a treat box with small treats to help cravings (hide it out of sight, out of sight out of mind!) get some raw foods, fruit veg and get creative! Eat Chicken/Red Meat/Fish for main meals, lots of steamed greens (low on calories very filling) sweet potato's and white rice are fantastic filler's and my personal best carb sources! Just start slowly, start with making better choices!! Example, in the shop, bottle of coke, no, bottle of water. Good luck everyone and anyone feel free to add me :)
  • lindaclarkson1981
    lindaclarkson1981 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been using recipes from the book leanin 15 - joe wicks known as the body coach - lots of low fat clean recipes that are tasty and very filling! Great alongside exercise ! X
  • RyanDavis1
    RyanDavis1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    Brown rice
    Egg whites
    Whole wheat pasta
    Sweet potatoes
    Tilapia (any white fish)
    Salmon but only once a week
    Green vegetables
    Salad
    Remember carbs are your friends but sugars are very bad.
  • alphastarz
    alphastarz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Starting out morbidly obese myself, I had to learn how to shop differently, how to cook in general and new recipes/favorites I could eat regularly, and new food traditions for holidays... Pretty much everything. The key here though is to find ones YOU like and work for your time and preferences. Websites and blogs like worlds healthiest foods, cooking light, skinnytaste.com, and chocolate covered Katie have been my haunts for free ideas and tips. So as not to get overwhelmed I didn't try more than one new recipe a week and slowly built it up. Likewise, I spent 10 extra minutes at store each trip comparing nutrition values and switching products to healthier versions on prepared stuff I was buying regularly.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP some more details would be helpful. What are your goals? Is it to lose weight? What matters for weight loss is a calorie deficit. You can achieve that eating any foods, as long as you're in a calorie deficit you'll lose weight.

When you say eat more healthy, what does that mean to you? Surely you know the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean protein, grains, dairy, healthy fats, etc. So is there something specific you feel you are falling short on that you need tips on?

I believe any food can be part of a healthy overall diet, I don't believe in cutting anything out. I try to focus on eating primarily nutrient dense foods but don't hold back from eating pizza, cookies, drinking wine, if I can fit them into my calorie goal.

• betzd189
    betzd189 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Eat clean foods. Eliminate sugar, salt, sodium, white flour aka, white poison. Use salsa to flavour your foods. Fist size portions, Have one high carb meal a day unless you workout then have one in the morning and one post workout. Protein: chicken, fish, lean beef. Carbs: sweet potato , oatmeal, brown rice. Veggies, just mixed and one peice of fruit a day. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks doing this. About 1400 cals a day. Good luck!
  • arditarose
    Options
    betzd189 wrote: »
    Eat clean foods. Eliminate sugar, salt, sodium, white flour aka, white poison. Use salsa to flavour your foods. Fist size portions, Have one high carb meal a day unless you workout then have one in the morning and one post workout. Protein: chicken, fish, lean beef. Carbs: sweet potato , oatmeal, brown rice. Veggies, just mixed and one peice of fruit a day. I lost 10 pounds in 2 weeks doing this. About 1400 cals a day. Good luck!

Oh go away. I don't have patience for this today. Besides it being ridiculous to tell someone to cut out so many foods and fear mongering by calling them poison, how can you tell someone you don't even know how many calories to eat per day?
  • asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    To simplify: Everything you cook at home is going to be okay.
  • arditarose
    Options
    asyroyez wrote: »

So yogurt...not okay? Cottage cheese? Milk? Bread? Butter?
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Okay based on what? It really depends on the person's goals which I don't think OP has come back to clarify.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    betzd189 wrote: »

Totally unnecessary demonization of foods. Why are those things "poison"?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Personally I think this is an oversimplification. There are lots of things I'm not equipped to make at home that are fine to include as part of a balanced diet.
  • asyroyez
    Options
    Simple, open ended question with no details deserves a simple answer. Since no specifics were provided I gave the best answer I could come up with.

I personally would steer away from bread and cottage cheese myself. I can see your point though, as yogurt can be a hassle to make. Though some commercial yogurts out there are basically dairy + sugar, so as long as it's a higher quality full fat greek yogurt, I'd skip it as well.

When people generally speak of eating healthy, it becomes a battle of preference. I think any food can be "healthy" depending on the circumstances.
  • asyroyez
    Options

Personally I think this is an oversimplification. There are lots of things I'm not equipped to make at home that are fine to include as part of a balanced diet.

I agree, it's an oversimplification. However it seems even the oversimplification may have been misunderstood in this case. Dianne, note that I did not say that foods not cooked at home are all bad. I just said food cooked at home is going to be okay. As for food processed elsewhere, I never gave my opinion. For those foods, I'd say it's a matter of effort vs reward vs availability. For example, I buy Chobani Full Fat Greek Yogurt. I know that with some effort I can make that yogurt at home, and it may be superior in quality and nutrition. But I buy since I don't have the time/effort to make it, I've compared the product to others and thought it to be the best, and I can afford it in this case.

Hope that clarified some things.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    My mom used to make a killer fried chicken, mashed potatoes/gravy with biscuits and honey butter followed by chocolate cake at home.

Now I don't believe in good foods/bad foods but that meal certainly isn't automatically "okay" because it was cooked at home.

Nor are some of the convenience foods that I rely on necessarily "bad" just because they are processed.

Food is just food. To me, foods that are good to eat are those which are first and foremost tasty, that fit within my calorie goal, and that provide me nutritional balance. It would be a rare day that I would be able to eat that meal my mom used to make all in the same day. But there is nothing inherently bad about any of those things... And I sure wish she was still around to make it for me!