Waking up really early for work outs?

Options

Replies

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    ... it does give you a boost to the day, but more importantly, it takes away any excuses you have at the end of the day why you should not go (...busy work day, knackered, too busy in the gym, late meal, etc)
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I enjoy working out in the mornings, but often, mornings don't agree with me. So, I've shifted to lunch time, only because it's the only time I have guaranteed (Almost) every day for me.
  • Abbie918
    Abbie918 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I work out in the mornings -- I'm there by 530. It's easier for me to go and get it done in the morning than convincing myself to go after sitting in the afternoon traffic. It does wake me up more and, oddly, keeps hunger at bay for me (which is the opposite of what it does for most people, I've learned!). All in all, it's a no-brainer for me to go in the morning. But, like someone already said, it's personal preference.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I am good either way. I like to run at 5am, the roads are not as busy and it's cooler in the summer. However, I have a lot of classes that I like to do after work. Even if I am tired after work I can always get the energy to workout. Just make sure you don't miss out on sleep just to wake up early to workout, that may mean having to go to bed earlier than usual.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I get up an hour early, 4 am, to exercise before work. Does not give me more energy, but I do start my day knowing that i have done something positive for my health and it makes me feel better about my day. I would agree with an earlier post that getting enough rest is the key to having more energy.
  • Oversyte
    Oversyte Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Queenblyn wrote: »
    Does waking up hours before normal wake up time and hitting the gym really give you more energy? I just joined a gym and would like to go in the mornings before work, but as of now I have no energy.. Was wondering if I will get an energy boost from this, or just feel more fatigued?

Your energy comes from food right? So, I think it's safe to say you have more energy in the afternoon... in the morning, you don't eat all night and lose water weight in your sleep, so you can move around easier. It would be wise to have a post workout snack or something 1hr before... if you do choose to work out in the morning.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Oversyte wrote: »
    Does waking up hours before normal wake up time and hitting the gym really give you more energy? I just joined a gym and would like to go in the mornings before work, but as of now I have no energy.. Was wondering if I will get an energy boost from this, or just feel more fatigued?

Your energy comes from food right? So, I think it's safe to say you have more energy in the afternoon... in the morning, you don't eat all night and lose water weight in your sleep, so you can move around easier. It would be wise to have a post workout snack or something 1hr before... if you do choose to work out in the morning.

No to this. Many people work out in the morning without eating anything with no issues. Most people have plenty of energy reserves for an hour workout without a pre-workout snack.
  • Oversyte
    Oversyte Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Oversyte wrote: »

No to this. Many people work out in the morning without eating anything with no issues. Most people have plenty of energy reserves for an hour workout without a pre-workout snack.

I greatly appreciate the correction! :# Thank you for expanding my knowledge.
  • kyleliermann
    kyleliermann Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I find waking up and doing it is far better because you can stretch it out all day and it gives a lil boost
  • Onhowtobelovely
    Onhowtobelovely Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I get up 3 days a week at 5 to train at 6 for about an hour and 40 minutes. I hate eating before training so I don't, I just drink my preworkout on the way to the gym and once I'm there I mix some BCAAs and sip them during my workout and follow my workout with some quickish carbs and protein. I have a ton of energy once I get in there and have PRd training early. I feel more alert usually during the day after working out this early. It is hard getting up that early but I think it's worth it.
  • lgoldfarb
    lgoldfarb Posts: 76 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I'm currently doing 2 6 AM workouts (strength training) and 3 evening workouts (1 night of yoga, 2 nights of Zumba). My schedule is different everyday and I'm having a hard time adjusting (this is week 4), but hopefully it will get better. I eat 1/2 a clif bar in the car on the way to my morning workouts and and an orange with almonds about an hour before my evening workouts (no dinner after). I also get my workout clothes ready the night before. I feel pretty exhausted most of the time, this schedule has done nothing for my energy. But I am losing weight, so as long as I'm not getting sick, I figure I'll be ok with it.
  • RebeccaLansdown
    RebeccaLansdown Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    tapwaters wrote: »
    Honestly it sets me up for failure. I am not a morning person by nature, so plans which require me to get up before my body wants to are doomed.

This. My bed tends to hold me captive in the morning. I hate getting up early.
  • lll109
    lll109 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Early mornings when it is dark is hard but having a buddy or friend waiting on you makes it easier. Neither one wants to bail on the other. Early mornings don't give you energy just the satisfaction that the thing you procrastinate most is done! The rest of the day seems so much easier. You came first.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I hate it and avoid it if possible. I'm not a morning person! If you can do it go for it
  • rosey35
    rosey35 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's a habit, like brushing my teeth.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    All down to personal preference. I get up at 6.10 to do a 30 minute gentle workout and three days I walk about an hour before work (to work) I like gentle excersise as it wakes me up I could not do a full blown cardio work out before work out as really I fall asleep afterwards. So I plan those in the afternoon preferably right after work as late at night does not suit me either.

As said by others waking up early does also mean going to bed earlier Sleep is very very important for your helath too. It is about balance there and finding what works for you
  • fireguy262
    fireguy262 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I used to love waking up early before work and going to the gym. I felt accomplished and awake the rest of the day.....too bad now I work at 3am and cant do that
  • angfirst
    angfirst Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I tried waking up early and exercising, but found myself exhausted all the time. So, now I workout in the evening, and that seems to work for me.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I already get up early for work everyday around 4am. There is no way I'd get up early than that just to workout. I have a physical job as it is so I save my other workouts for the evening. My Weightlifting is done right after work, though. Since the gym is on my way home.
  • Bostonbee79
    Bostonbee79 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person. My natural wake up time is 9am. Too bad work gets in the way of that! :) however, Years ago I used to go to a 5:30 am spin class. I loved working out in the morning. It woke me up, and it wasn't looming over my head after a long school day. It also helped that I worked out with 1-4 other friends.

I do miss working out in the morning. I can't seem to get myself to do it now. I should force myself. Maybe if I went to bed earlier.....