Food & Guilt.

Options
Everytime I decide to go on a diet, I feel guilty whenver I eat. No matter what the food is, there is this overwhelming feeling of guilt. I thought that now that I am making a lifestyle change that maybe this feeling would dwindle but it has actually gotten worse. I beat myself up over everything and I cannot seem to give myself a break...

Is this normal? and what can I do about this? tips! tips! tips!
Thanks.

Replies

• kseier
    kseier Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem...and if its something bad its even worse :( all i think abotu is CALROIES...i dont want to live like this...but if i dont..i wear whatever i eat.
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, I have become obsessed with food and guilty feelings.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    This is not a healthy way of thinking. You NEED to eat, so you're not doing anything wrong. Think of food as fuel for your body. If you want your body to function for you, you need to give it fuel.
  • RattieLove
    RattieLove Posts: 125
    Options
    I feel this way too!! I've burned over 1000 calories today by running over an hour on my treadmill, and I have 334 calories left for the day, but since I feel slightly full I feel guilty for having my bedtime snacks. Ugh.
  • charitydc
    charitydc Posts: 106
    Options
    Don't feel bad...The other day my boyfriend bought me 2 boston creme donuts and I ate them with teary eyes...He said I'm sorry, you really do feel guilty about those donuts. I'll never buy you them ever again!
  • ShunkyDave
    ShunkyDave Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Do your best to stick to the routine for at least 6 days. Then relax and enjoy yourself. Then go back to the routine. Indulge every 7 days, and you'll stick to the diet much better than if you are imprisoned to it. And if you know you're going to have a 'fun' day, you're less likely to break the diet on the 'on' (or 'unfun') days. No more guilt! Enjoy your life!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Do not go on a diet. Make it a lifestyle change. Do not do guilt because everyday is a new day. Just do not give up and keep at it.
  • scouter318
    scouter318 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Do not go on a diet. Make it a lifestyle change. Do not do guilt because everyday is a new day. Just do not give up and keep at it.

Totally agree -- stop thinking of it as a diet, it's a lifestyle change. If you're eating healthily, there's no reason to feel guilty. EVEN if you do slide and have that occasional junk food, it's okay! You just get back on the good eating right after.

Stop beating up on yourself!
  • pvaness17
    pvaness17 Posts: 17
    Options
    Learn to make meals that are balanced with carbs, protein, and good fat, as your body needs all three and will crave one if left out. Don't obsess over calories, obsess over putting the right healthy foods in your body. Learn to prepare foods that satisfy your energy demand needs, your fullness volume needs and your taste needs. Work hard at this 6 days per week, and on day seven, eat guilt free. Lifestyle change is a marathon, not a sprint, so don't be afraid to overindulge once in a while, as long as your long-term habits are clean. These feelings and emotions go away when your have officially changed your lifestyle, probably no less than six months after you have a solid routine in place.
  • gklangdon
    gklangdon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just recently started with MFP, so I may not be the best person for advising anyone. My story so far is I gave up dieting in December 2010. I decided that if I wanted a candy bar I was going to eat it. As I gave up on my diet I decided that I was going to count calories and just watch my portions. Eat anything I wanted, but keep my calories at 1400. I had ice cream and chips and whatever else I wanted. I lost 13 pounds in about 3 months. I was shocked! I started letting myself slide and stopped logging my calories and gained about 4 pounds back. So that's when I started MFP with my step-daughter.

My point is don't feel guilty for having a candy bar every now and again. Just log it and move on. Keep trying to eat the best that you can and you will start seeing the results you want. If you totally mess up one day. Forget it and start the next day with forgiveness and move on.

You can do it!! Good luck to you.