Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Treadmill

I start off with 3.0 speed and work my way up, but it's really hard for me to stay on like a 5.0 and run. And I would love to be able to run, I really wanna lose weight, and i know running will help.

What kind of routine is good for losing weight on the treadmill? And is setting the incline good for that too?

I could really use some tips.

Thanks, in advance!

Replies

• Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    interval training is a great way to lose weight also! Walk fast for 3 mins then run for 1. It works great, and you can work you way up to running every other min : )
  • rcrews4
    rcrews4 Posts: 46 Member
    Try the "Couch to 5k" program to build your endurance for running. It is great walk/run interval program that you do at least three times a week for 30 minutes. Good stuff! Good luck
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    i'm not a runner either, but i've just started using the C25K app for iphone/android. i've only done one session but i've heard raaaave reviews! :) good luck, and
    BUMP!
  • neocharon
    neocharon Posts: 19 Member
    Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything but get off that treadmill and get outside! Its better and easier to do intervals. I like 90/30's. To start you jog 90 secs, and sprint 30 secs. You slowly work your way to running 90 secs and jog 30 secs. Give it a try, but make sure to hydrate.

I always felt like I was wasting alot of time and energy trying to change the speeds on the treadmill.... now if they had a one button solution to interval training!
  • karlengst
    karlengst Posts: 1
    Hi. I started a treadmill routine in March 2011. It has changed my body shape even though I haven't lost that much weight, maybe 5 lbs. I walk @ 4 mph @ incline 4 for 5 minutes. Then I run @ 5 mph @ incline 5 for 1 min, then 5.5 mph for 1 min, then 6 mph @ 6 incline for 1 min. Then I cool down back at 4 mph @ incline 4 for 2 minutes and then start the routine over again. I do this for 30 min. and the time goes by so fast! When I get to the 29 min. mark I run for 1 min. @ 6 mph @ incline 15. I then cool down for 5 min. at various speeds and inclines.
    Hope this helps you as much as it did me!
    Karen
  • tusher2011
    tusher2011 Posts: 201 Member
    I've been doing the interval thing on the treadmill too. I want to be able to work up to being able to run but for now, this is what I have been doing

warm up for 6 min, incline @10 for 2 min, back down to incline at 1 for 2 min, after a couple of times of doing this, I put the incline upto 12. I am usually at a 3.0 or 3.2/mph. I know that's probably slow for most people but I can't go any faster, yet.:)

30 min goes by so quick when doing the interval way!
  • Just like what everyone is saying here HIIT or interval is the way to go, it will help you build endurance and stamina big time! :D That's how I build up my stamina and endurance! Currently this is my routine when I run on the treadmill. First I walk for 5 minutes, speed@3.5, incline@3.0. After the warm up, I put the speed up to 6 mph with 3.0 incline and I run for 10-15 min straight. After that I lower down the speed back down to 3.3 mph and walk for 5 minutes. Then I repeat the whole process all over again. I do this for about 45 mins.
  • MaddameKat
    MaddameKat Posts: 200 Member
    Not trying to sound like a jerk or anything but get off that treadmill and get outside! Its better and easier to do intervals. I like 90/30's. To start you jog 90 secs, and sprint 30 secs. You slowly work your way to running 90 secs and jog 30 secs. Give it a try, but make sure to hydrate.

I always felt like I was wasting alot of time and energy trying to change the speeds on the treadmill.... now if they had a one button solution to interval training!

I run indoors, i can run for longer on a treadmill and as a beginner it is beeter for my legs, i am not small and the impact and bad form outside put me off for ages... run where ever you like, just give it a try
  • neocharon
    neocharon Posts: 19 Member
    run where ever you like, just give it a try

I totally agree! Sorry, I wasn't even thinking about the impact of the outdoors. So run where you are comfortable is the bottom line!

Take care!