New Research Findings-Interesting

Options
ALW65
ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
Someone mentioned this briefly in a post, but I thought I'd throw out some of the information in case you missed it in the news today. This comes from the New England Journal of Medicine article published today about how food choices affect weight gain or loss.

-The study data comes from 120,877 health American men and women who recorded their eating, exercise, and other habits for the Nurses Health Study, the Nurses Health Study II, and the Health Professionals Follow-up Study - Harvard has been running these studies for many years (I remember my mom filling out her info when I was a little girl)

-The study concluded all foods are not equal, and just eating in moderation is not enough

-Every additional serving of potatoes added to a person's regular diet each day made them gain about a pound every 4 years - but even if the potatoes were boiled, mashed, etc rather than as french fries there was a 1.69 pound weight gain. This is attributed to the affect potatoes have on insulin

-Not suprisingly, every serving of fruits and vegetables prevented between a quareter and a half pound gain each year.

-Every extra serving of nuts prevented more than a half pound of weight gain

-Yogurt was suprisingly effective with every serving keeping off nearly a pound over four years

So we're ahead of the curve with our healthy fruits and veggies, but we'll have to add in the yogurt and steer clear of those potatoes!

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I do not eat anything white: no white bread, no white sugar, no white flour and no white potatoes.
  • lolananda
    lolananda Posts: 7
    Options
    Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Yay for nuts! It's nice that they make a positive impact since I love them so! (And yes I do keep them within the scope of my plan. Well....mostly. :blushing: )
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I almost never eat white potatoes anymore. Thanks for posting this!
  • alexg94
    alexg94 Posts: 44
    Options
    In other news, most men are attracted to women.
  • cpauscher
    cpauscher Posts: 41
    Options
    Thank you so much for the information. I really do love potatoes and have not eaten very many of them since I started tracking my food. At least I'm on the right track with the extra fruits, veggies, and yogurt. :wink:
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    In other news, most men are attracted to women.

Mostly women who eat few potatoes :laugh:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't eat potatoes every day, but the threat of gaining four ounces a year is certainly not enough to deter me! :laugh:
  • hankhanna
    hankhanna Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am thinking sweet potatoes don't count. Aren't they really good for you?
    Any weighing in on that?
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    So researchers have found a correlation between people who eat too many calorie-dense foods and weight gain?

Who funded this groundbreaking research?