need help

I want to gain my weight back. I lost 40lbs due to stress and depression and have had no appetite.

Replies

• se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    How are you feeling now? How is your appetite now? Did you put in your information on MFP so it gives you a set calories to eat?
  • mightymikemilocato
    mightymikemilocato Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks yes. I keep coming out short 1200 calories and dont want to eat after 9 pm.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Are you doing any exercising? Even brisk walking will help increase your appetite, encouraging to eat more. And it's good for the soul.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited March 2016
    We need more information. What are your stats? Age, sex, previous weight, current weight, goal weight, height, training history, current maxes (i.e. squat, bench, deadlift), experience with working out / dieting are all information we require to give good advice.

The simple way for weight gain is: Calculate TDEE on google, eat +500 calories over that for 1 lb of weight gain per week. Lift on a pre-existing program while doing that to put on more muscle than fat. You have to have a myfitnesspal account and track EVERYTHING you put in your mouth (weight your food and log it!). Underweight people overestimate how much they eat on a day to day basis and visa versa.

Cheats: -liquid calories (make shakes, whole milk, olive oil are all high calories and easy to consume) , avocado, spreadables (almond/peanut butter), snack on nuts, etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    We need more information. What are your stats? Age, sex, previous weight, current weight, goal weight, height, training history, current maxes (i.e. squat, bench, deadlift), experience with working out / dieting are all information we require to give good advice.

The simple way for weight gain is: Calculate TDEE on google, eat +500 calories over that for 1 lb of weight gain per week. Lift on a pre-existing program while doing that to put on more muscle than fat. You have to have a myfitnesspal account and track EVERYTHING you put in your mouth (weight your food and log it!). Underweight people overestimate how much they eat on a day to day basis and visa versa.

Cheats: -liquid calories (make shakes, whole milk, olive oil are all high calories and easy to consume) , avocado, spreadables (almond/peanut butter), snack on nuts, etc.

This.

Also, if you need ideas of higher calorie foods to aid the process, you can find a list here
  • mightymikemilocato
    edited March 2016
    Thanks, i am very physical due to the duties of my job. However at times i lack an appetite and when i do i burn calories faster than i can put the weight on. I also have stomach ulcers and high blood pressure so I have to be extremely careful of what i eat .
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Thanks yes. I keep coming out short 1200 calories and dont want to eat after 9 pm.
    Thanks, i am very physical due to the duties of my job. However at times i lack an appetite and when i do i burn calories faster than i can put the weight on. I also have stomach ulcers and high blood pressure so I have to be extremely careful of what i eat .

why don't you want to eat past 9pm? I eat well up until the minute I fall asleep every night.

Also are you currently on any medication in order to help with the stomach ulcers? They can definitely make keeping food down a real challenge. I've been there and was prescribed Tecta for them, it made a world of a difference.

• mightymikemilocato
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm. Yes I take a med for the ulcers,its definitely hard to keep any food down without them.:)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm. Yes I take a med for the ulcers,its definitely hard to keep any food down without them.:)

First rule of the gaining forum is ignore dr oz
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    Dr Oz is full of it. Eat when you want.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    I eat literally up until midnight most nights. I haven't gotten fat, nor have I encountered any health issues. Last checkup was 1 month ago and everything's great, when I've been following that practice for over a year
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    It doesn't sound like you have dealt with the depression. That would be the best place to start.

I am pretty sure Dr. Oz wasn't trying to give any advice about gaining weight. If your MD tells you to avoid eating in the evening in order to help your medical issues, that is a different issue all together.

• cypresslb
    cypresslb Posts: 13 Member
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm.

What? Why?
  • psuLemon
    edited April 2016
    ndj1979 wrote: »

First rule of the gaining forumlife is ignore dr oz

Fify.

Op, dont make silly restrictions based off a tv show host. It is not founded by any science and only will make it more difficult for you
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited April 2016
    psulemon wrote: »

Fify.

Op, dont make silly restrictions based off a tv show host. It is not founded by any science and only will make it more difficult for you

ha!
  • mightymikemilocato
    jessef593 wrote: »
    I eat literally up until midnight most nights. I haven't gotten fat, nor have I encountered any health issues. Last checkup was 1 month ago and everything's great, when I've been following that practice for over a year

Cool, but you know everyone body works differently,Ill get bad heartburn if I ate like you. Wish I could though.
  • mightymikemilocato
    cypresslb wrote: »
    Dr oz says not to eat after 8pm and I pushed it to9pm.

What? Why?
    Something about the body not being able to process the food correctly,was a episode on specific health issues such as diabetes,hypertension etc.
  • mightymikemilocato

Fify.

Op, dont make silly restrictions based off a tv ahow host. It is not founded by any science and only will make it more difficult for you

Cool
  • mightymikemilocato

Fify.

Op, dont make silly restrictions based off a tv ahow host. It is not founded by any science and only will make it more difficult for you

ha!

Ok?
  • psuLemon

Fify.

ha!

Ok?

He was laughing at my correction to his statement.

If you get heartburn from going to bed shortly after eating, that is a good reason to not eat a few hours before bed. But your metabolism is on a 24 hour loop and can effectively process calories regardless of time of day.