What am I doing wrong ?

Options
About 5 weeks ago I started a sugar detox and lost 5lbs in a week. After that I started using this app and counting My calories and using a food scale. I started doing the treadmill and hiit work out videos. I'm burning about 400 calories a day. The numbers were going down and now a whole week had gone by and nothing. I don't eat processed sugars. No bread. No pasta. Am I doing something wrong??? I don't eat all my calories for the day that I gain from working out. Do I need to eat more? I've even read maybe I'm doing too much cardio. Feeling pretty damn confused. Any advice?

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Cardio twice/week max - 20 min ea. Gotta pump iron and keep carbs below 100 grams/day.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    1. Don't get hung up with "what" you eat unless you have specific health concerns. Bread, sugar, pasta are not the work of satan.

2. One week is nothing. There is a lot of noise in weight loss and it takes many (six week min) to notice a trend.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    You could cut out all the foods you want but still not lose weight unless you are eating at a calorie deficit.

Get yourself a food scale learn how to weigh all your solids.

Realize that weight loss comes down to calories not cutting out foods.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Burning 400 calories a day is a lot... Sometimes how many calories you burn during exercise are not totally accurate.

Just my opinion, but try not eating back all of the calories you burn and see if you lose.

Also, if you eat bread or pasta or sugars... You can still lose weight eating those things but you must be at a calorie deficit.

(For example; Peanuts and fat free yogurt are not pasta and bread but you could still eat big portions and not lose weight.)
  • mmoeck13
    mmoeck13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a gluten intolerance so cutting those foods out make me feel better. I do weigh my food and measure everything I eat with measuring cups and tablespoons. It's been a struggle to lose the 10lbs I've lost. Guess just wanted to see if what I'm doing is right since I've been feeling discouraged.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    mmoeck13 wrote: »
    I have a gluten intolerance so cutting those foods out make me feel better. I do weigh my food and measure everything I eat with measuring cups and tablespoons. It's been a struggle to lose the 10lbs I've lost. Guess just wanted to see if what I'm doing is right since I've been feeling discouraged.

You can't let one week discourage you. Seriously. If you are confident in your tracking, and confident in your burn, then you are losing weight (fat). It's a long journey and you can go weeks without the results showing on the scale just due to noise.
  • mmoeck13
    Options
    I am definitely confident in what I'm doing. Just this whole thing gets me confused. Every one tells you to do something different ya know? Lost 60lbs a long time ago and never had the problems I do now. I guess having a baby will do it. But thanks you're right I shouldn't let one week get me down.
  • wsrep
    wsrep Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Just trust the process and give it time. As long as your logging correctly and eating at a deficit the weight will come off.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    About 5 weeks ago I started a sugar detox and lost 5lbs in a week. After that I started using this app and counting My calories and using a food scale. I started doing the treadmill and hiit work out videos. I'm burning about 400 calories a day. The numbers were going down and now a whole week had gone by and nothing. I don't eat processed sugars. No bread. No pasta. Am I doing something wrong??? I don't eat all my calories for the day that I gain from working out. Do I need to eat more? I've even read maybe I'm doing too much cardio. Feeling pretty damn confused. Any advice?

@mmoeck13 below is one calorie goal guideline. It is good you have cut out processed sugars an carbs to help lower your hormone insulin levels to help bring about a burning of stored fats. Make sure you are eating enough. Under eating by 15% can slow your metabolism and negate weight loss. Like others have stated give yourself some time.

webmd.com/diet/guide/calories-chart

Welcome to MFP forums.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Weight-loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Weight fluctuates daily based on what you eat (esp. sodium) and hormones and how much you drink, your activity level and exercise routine--all of it.

You might want to consider a weight-trending app like Happy Scale (iPhone) and Libra (Android). It looks at the overall trend/big picture of your weight. It doesn't freak out over those daily fluctuations and neither should you.

I used to dread weighing and only weighed once a week. Now I weigh daily and see how much my weight can fluctuate but still stay where it needs to be. And not freak out.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Burning 400 calories a day is a lot... Sometimes how many calories you burn during exercise are not totally accurate.

Just my opinion, but try not eating back all of the calories you burn and see if you lose.

Also, if you eat bread or pasta or sugars... You can still lose weight eating those things but you must be at a calorie deficit.

(For example; Peanuts and fat free yogurt are not pasta and bread but you could still eat big portions and not lose weight.)

Agree that sometimes the burn #'s are not accurate, but 400 isn't outrageous! Maybe in 20 minutes it could be, but if she's spending maybe 45 minutes to an hour doing an exercise video or high intensity workout, it sounds about right
  • sammijoy89
    sammijoy89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You will have plateaus here and there. I recently just hit a two week plateau of no weight loss but definite body changes (loss of inches, gaining stress). I've gotta tell you, it was damn discouraging! Stick with the process. Additionally, look at what you are consuming. CICO is a given, but for me, I was hanging on to water weight for a little while there because after a month of no diet sodas, I began drinking them again and I began holding on to water like you wouldn't believe. I've once again ditched them and seeing losses again. Definitely make sure you're eating back at least some of those calories burned or you'll hang on to that weight because your body thinks you're starving.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yesterday, I read about the "Whoosh" effect. There is more science to it, but basically what it boils down to is that your fat cells are replacing the burned fat with water, so even though you're burning calories and losing fat, the scale may not reflect it because of water retention. Then all of a sudden, the fat cells will release that water and you will see a drop of a couple pounds in like a day. Different people experience this to different degrees, and it's worse as a woman, since hormonal changes can make us retain water more than usual.

This is the likely explanation since you said you are weighing your foods properly. Give it another week and see if it sorts itself out.

I once had a 3 week plateau and then dropped 5 lbs overnight. It's frustrating, but once you understand that it's water weight, it becomes much less demoralizing.

Edit: This is the article I read http://leanmuscleproject.com/how-whooshes-impact-your-weight-loss/
  • mmoeck13
    Options
    I maybe could cut down my carbs. Some days are over 100g. I also burn 400 or more calories within an hour and more and I use the polar watch. It's been 2 years of a struggle for me since I had my daughter. Losing and gaining. I know it's a process. It's not gonna happen over night. I just want it so bad I actually am starting to feel good again. Especially without bread or sugar. No blood sugar spikes. Few years ago lost 60lbs going to the gym. Happened fast. No counting calories.and wasn't even eating as healthy. Frustrating for sure.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

@mmoeck13 below is one calorie goal guideline. It is good you have cut out processed sugars an carbs to help lower your hormone insulin levels to help bring about a burning of stored fats. Make sure you are eating enough. nder eating by 15% can slow your metabolism and negate weight loss. Like others have stated give yourself some time.

webmd.com/diet/guide/calories-chart

Welcome to MFP forums.

Stop making things up.