Meal Ideas / Plans to help overcome binge eating

Options
Hi guys,

Currently getting help for BED and have had some flair ups and issues and just am curious to reach out and see how you guys have coped with BED and what eating approaches have helped you most whether it is increasing or decreasing certain macros, minimizing sugars in diet, eating X amount of meals a day, etc. Just curious what some safe staples are in your diet as well that tend to help you not binge.

Any and all input appreciated immensely.
Thanks.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Protein at each meal with some fruit or vegetables. Has to be tasty and filling. Planning a treat for the end of the day gives me something to stay on track for, but keeps me from feeling too restricted.
  • charlsy1691
    charlsy1691 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Lots of protein, fibre and water keeps you fuelled, hydrated and fuller.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    For me:

1. More protein in relationship to carbs stops the physical urge to overeat: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    2. Yoga stops the emotional urge to overeat: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-science-willpower/201007/how-yoga-can-help-end-binge-eating
    3. Ramping up activity level in general does something positive as well

For you:

1. Learning healthy ways to deal with triggers
    2. Not under eating, as restricting can trigger a binge
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    weigh and measure everything you eat

eat more one ingredient foods (chicken, fish, veggies, fruits, nuts)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What helps me not overeat:
    Meal planning and portioning out appropriately, after learning proper sizes from months of logging in MFP.
    Eating meals and as a rule only at meals. Four meals a day seems right for me.
    Letting myself be hungry (but not famished) before I eat.
    Not keeping typical trigger foods at home. If I ever eat them, I don't eat them alone, but in company, with other people.
    Eating food I like and not eat food I don't like.
    Cook as much as possible from real, single food ingredients.
    Eating mindfully - enjoying and really taste and experience the food.
    Having balanced meals - always some protein, fat and vegetables.
    Eating a varied diet - rotating and alternating foods through the week/year.
    Eating the same kinds of meals from day to day - breakfasts are similar, lunches have a couple of more options, dinner is meat+starch+veg or soup/stew except for two days every week, themed dinners create predictability and makes it effortless to get in all the different nutrients I need.
    I don't use artificial sweeteners. I drink my coffee and tea black.
    I don't buy/eat "diet" foods anymore - I go for full fat and real sugar.
    Getting enough quality sleep every day.
    Managing stress.
    Exercise and fun.

I've read a lot about this and people like Allen Carr, Isabel Foxen Duke, Ellyn Satter, Brian Wansink, Mark Schatzker, Marion Nestle, Michael Pollan, David Aaron Kessler, David L. Katz, Michael Moss, Gillian Riley, Doug Lisle have helped me, as well as the community here. I'm finally getting "Brain over binge" too.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I don't have a binge eating disorder, but one day recently I did binge eat. I deduced that I had begun the day with too little for breakfast, and not had enough vegetables and protein with my lunch.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I make sure to eat tasty food and things I REALLY want to eat. When I'm satisfied with my meal, I'm less likely to go look elsewhere for satisfaction.
  • LC107
    LC107 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've had a few binges from time to time and it was because I was far too restrictive (for me) of what I was eating. So, I now eat 5-6 small meals a day. In addition to the protein and fiber recommendations above I would also incorporate a healthy amount of fat too to your diet. Just eating a few slices of an avocado or eating some nuts really helps with keeping my appetite in check and well let's be honest, fat is quite satisfying. :smiley:

Lastly, as a former anorexic, I definitely did not want to find myself in another eating disorder so I sought out online groups that were encouraging to me. I had a really bad binge and one of the other women simply told me "it's ok, tomorrow the sun will rise again and you get to start fresh." Idk why but that really made me realize one binge does not define me nor does it control me and that I am in fact in control of my life. I honestly haven't binged since (about two months). Also MFP keeps me honest about what I've consumed as I log everything. I try to log before I even put a bite of food in my mouth.

I hope your able to find some of these suggestions helpful from all of us and overcome it. Best of luck, Op.

• Spacemarine101
    Spacemarine101 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    @kommodevaran
    Great post, I learned something from it. I also have problems with binge eating and overeating, but mainly overeating. So often I would have something like 500g or more of potatoes or rice in one meal, and often I eat them together. I almost always eat until there is no more food.
  • poteatkd
    poteatkd Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Fiber is #1 by far for me regarding feeling satiated for long periods of time...

Protein, Fat, Veggies help too. =)
  • emmincontrol
    emmincontrol Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There's this company in Quebec called GoodFood, and many similar companies probably exist in your area. It's a service where they deliver fresh ingredients to your door once per week along with simple healthy recipes. You can see their meal options on their website and each meal is approximately 700 calories. I have these for dinner and work the rest of my day around it. What I love about it is that everything comes in exactly the quantity you need, so there is no chance of overeating (and no waste).

Anyway, it gave me a lightbulb moment and (although I won't be ordering every week) I think it helps to weigh and put ingredients in ziploc bags or tupperwares the day before you plan on eating it and at a moment when you're not hungry. And keep very little food in the house that can be easily eaten on impulse, like snacks and frozen foods.
  • CindiRPh
    CindiRPh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try to eat lots of things that are low calorie - pickles, cukes, carrots, or roasted veggies
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    There's this company in Quebec called GoodFood, and many similar companies probably exist in your area. It's a service where they deliver fresh ingredients to your door once per week along with simple healthy recipes. You can see their meal options on their website and each meal is approximately 700 calories. I have these for dinner and work the rest of my day around it. What I love about it is that everything comes in exactly the quantity you need, so there is no chance of overeating (and no waste).

Anyway, it gave me a lightbulb moment and (although I won't be ordering every week) I think it helps to weigh and put ingredients in ziploc bags or tupperwares the day before you plan on eating it and at a moment when you're not hungry. And keep very little food in the house that can be easily eaten on impulse, like snacks and frozen foods.

These are important points for me. I do something similar - I don't use any such services, but when I grocery shop, I aim to buy just what I need for meals I have planned during the next 3-7 days. I have stopped buying "trigger" foods, but I'm taking this a step further: A user in here (sorry, can't remember whole name, but I think it starts with EQ) introduced me to not buying anything that isn't an ingredient for a planned meal, nothing that will lie there and tempt me to "snack" on it. There will be a couple of things (honey, syrups, nut butters, jam) that fall into both categories, but I have no need to stock up on dried fruit or biscuits.

I have also split "planning" from "execution". Planning, which is the same as thinking ahead, keeps me focused on my long term goals. When I follow my (written) plan, I know I don't have to think, just make small adjustments to real life, the plan has already been made and approved, by the "rational me", and the "impulsive me" seems to mostly accept those terms. No more "food fights" - or, at any rate, they have become smaller and less frequent :#
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input :) I think I am going to lean more towards the lower carb end of things and get most of my carbs from oatmeal, fruits and veggies only. Oatmeal has been helpful for me to keep me full lately and I have been putting frozen strawberries and raspberries in it and mixing either SF maple syrup, SF hershey syrup or pb2 in there or cinnamon. Otherwise I do enjoy protein pancakes (seem to be pretty popular - anyone have any good basic recipes?) And I also like chicken, salmon, tilapia, tuna. I am gonna maybe buy some shrimp to put in salads too. I like baby carrots and cucumbers and broccoli too. I have been turning to smart pop 100 calorie kettle corn because it is high volume, but lately I have an issue with eating just one bag. Usually 2 or 3 so it kind of turns into an issue because they're small bag and I think the sweetness of them turns me a little sugar hungry and I eat too much. I am gonna take a break from that for a while and substitute it wih maybe a can of tuna instead when cravings hit. Good idea? Also I may purchase some greek yogurt and try that out too. I find that waking up and skipping a full fledged breakfast but having lots of coffee and water instead helps me too sometimes. Unsure if that is a good idea.