All day HRM tracking - accurate TDEE

Options
sbl1881
sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I just bought a fitbit one, but think I'm going to return it as the calorie budget/food section is really confusing and calorie burn isn't accurate.

So, a few questions...If I did want to track my HRM all day using a chest strap and use it to calculate a more accurate TDEE and workout calorie burn,

1. Is there a brand that I should look at?
2. Is there an app to monitor it?
3. How do you then calculate the TDEE?

Or...has someone much smarter than me created a spreadsheet that calculates all this good stuff for you??

I love analyzing data, so while this may not be for everyone, I find it really interesting.

Replies

• fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    HRM's don't work like that - they're not accurate at all when your heart rate is below a certain (relayively high) percentage...

The best way to figure out your TDEE is to monitor your weight and your calorie intake and see how they relate. I made myself a little spreadsheet that does it for me:

mfto5b5q11bu.jpg
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    chest straps aren't made to use when you're not excercising, and what makes the fitbit less than accurate is going to apply to just about anything unless you know your body fat percentage. devices can only average what someone your height, weight and age would burn without specific info. there was a pricy polar HRM that figured more out and applied it, but not made to use continually but only during exercise.

you can get a body scan and everything that comes with it, and i believe they give you metabolic info that might be helpful for you. i was going to do it, but didn't end up going for it, but you can read about some of them here.

the new fitbit charge HR does read your heart rate all day, and i think there are a couple other activity trackers that offer continuous HR tracking, although i've read some annoying things from users. they are still going to work on an average, though. amazon reviews are a good way to go if you're interested.
  • MrWufpack
    MrWufpack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Apple Watch does this, as do some of the Fitbits. They take your HR using infrared and/or LED light aimed at your wrist. I've found the Apple Watch calorie estimates to be a lot more accurate than the estimates MFP was using based on just my iPhone (and previously, Fitbit Ultra and Jawbone Up24) steps. For example, MFP shows that my RMR should be 2,300 cal/day, but Apple Watch shows 1,950-2k on average each day. That 300 cal difference is worth 1 lb every 12 days. The Watch also does continuous HR monitoring when you exercise. The numbers are consistently lower than what MFP or my treadmill estimate. So I was probably overeating prior to using the Watch.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sbl1881 wrote: »
    If I did want to track my HRM all day using a chest strap and use it to calculate a more accurate TDEE and workout calorie burn.

You wouldn't be able to because for low intensity activity your HR doesn't relate to calorie expenditure.

• sbl1881
    sbl1881 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    fatfudgery wrote: »
    HRM's don't work like that - they're not accurate at all when your heart rate is below a certain (relayively high) percentage...

The best way to figure out your TDEE is to monitor your weight and your calorie intake and see how they relate. I made myself a little spreadsheet that does it for me:

mfto5b5q11bu.jpg

That's exactly what I'm looking for, but don't know how to do the calculations. I'll search for a template online.