Body Image After Large Weight Loss

Options
Has anybody ever lost a lot of weight and found that their body image is just as bad as it was before they lost weight? I am so afraid that I will hate the body I have after losing 200 lbs. I hate the body I have right now. I know health is important, but I'm not talking about health. i am talking about body image. Would anyone have a really horrific body after losing 200 lbs? I have never been thin (maybe when I was 2 years old..) and I have very large arms and legs and belly because of my height. (I'm 5ft.) I guess I'm afraid of loose skin. I want to wear a bikini for once. It's my dream lol. Even if it's only in the store. I want to feel comfortable being able to put one on and know that I am that size and I earned it.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 100 pounds from my highest weight. I lost it slowly, so I adjusted along the way. I did get to the point where I thought my head looked too much like a skeleton, even though nobody else saw it that way. I adjusted to that too.

You may have loose skin, but I think you'll find new things you really like about your body along the way.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Well, you could start socking away money for skin surgery. Where there's a will, they say .....
  • knp90210
    knp90210 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I hope so. I am just afraid because I have never been thin before. Such a new change! lol. Congratulations on the weight loss! I am 68 down so far :)
  • knp90210
    Options
    Well, you could start socking away money for skin surgery. Where there's a will, they say .....

I'm poor so that'll be never. lol. I still have to find a job and get a car before I can do that.
  • That_Girl_Myra
    That_Girl_Myra Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel the same. I'm also 5 ft even and weigh 274 lbs !! I honestly just want to get down to 150 and am already hating that there will be loose skin.
  • knp90210
    Options
    I feel the same. I'm also 5 ft even and weigh 274 lbs !! I honestly just want to get down to 150 and am already hating that there will be loose skin.

That's how I feel. I'm 266 right now. I was 335. I don't know if i want to be 150 or 130. My doctor said anything under 160 is good for me. But being short you never know. And for loose skin... The fear is real lol.
  • knp90210
    Options
    Also, does anybody have to deal with saggy boobs? I already have them lol. Will they look horrendous after weight loss? lol. I guess I'm just a little impatient. I want to know what I will look like now lol
  • BlueMacaroniArt
    BlueMacaroniArt Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I understand your fear, I really do. But it's going to be such a gradual change that's it's not the scary thing you are seeing in your head I don't think. One day at a time. That's all you have to. Just pay attention to all of the good changes and embrace it. Exercise and get stronger and you'll probably start to appreciate what you can do not just what you look like.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It won't happen overnight so you can get use to your new shape.
    You will find things that you will like about your new body, and you will like how you feel too and have more energy.
    And there's nothing wrong w a push up bra.
    68 lbs!?!! Way to go!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I already like how I look better, and I'm only down 10-15. I find I stand differently when I feel that I am doing well and losing weight, and that makes me look better. When I feel fat I stand fat, and it makes a huge difference.
  • brilliantwords
    brilliantwords Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, I'd rather have some loose skin afterwards than to still have my body fat filling it that skin. I used to be 300 lbs, and lost 100 pounds in 1 year (now 7 years ago) and have no problems with bad loose skin.

Im still overweight, so Im sure Ill have some once I hit goal (35-40 more pounds). At least that can be covered with clothing... but I couldnt conceal being 300 lbs. Not sure if that makes sense to others, but Id much rather risk having a bad body image at a healthy weight, and feel really good physically, than to still have a bad body image while being unhealthy and overweight/obese too.

Congrats on your 68 lb loss! You're doing great!
  • obedient670
    obedient670 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Girls girls girls:) I'm here to tell you that all the positives of losing the weight far outweigh the negative. I lost a large amount, 80 pounds, when I was 45 so the skin didn't bounce back. But what I also had was a curvy waist, nice butt, flatter stomach, tons more energy, fun fashionable clothing, a neck:), ankles..... I could go on and on. The skin bothered me for a little while. I had also had six pregnancies so I had A LOT of belly skin left over. I gave in and had a tummy tuck and the extra skin removed. So now I have a long horizontal scar on my abdomen and no feeling over a wide strip on my belly which feels very odd. Everything is a trade off. But the joy you feel from the weight loss takes over. Trust me. Stop worrying.

• monicaale38
    monicaale38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Do some weight training
  • KathyApplebaum
    KathyApplebaum Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've lost 95 pounds (about 20 to go), and for the first time since about 5th grade, I'm starting to like the way I look. One thing that's helped a lot is exercise -- I do both cardio and strength training, which I think definitely helps me look better.

Losing the weight is definitely worth it, both for body image and quality of life.
  • cate320
    cate320 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

That's such a good idea. I should start saving away all of the money I used to spend on junk food for the breast lift I am almost definitely going to need.

• jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I lost about 60 lbs the last time and when I looked in the mirror I was convinced I was still huge despite compliments, the scale, measurements, photos etc. Now I would kill to be back at that weight. I got depressed about it and ended up putting the weight back on. :(
  • ericaconti
    ericaconti Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    knp90210 wrote: »
    Also, does anybody have to deal with saggy boobs? I already have them lol. Will they look horrendous after weight loss? lol. I guess I'm just a little impatient. I want to know what I will look like now lol

I've lost half my body weight. I'm 5'7. I started at 270 and have been maintaining at 135. I have a little bit of saggy skin on my stomach and arms, but it's really not noticeable, even when naked. My upper legs and breasts are a different story. I always had huge upper legs. So, I do have a lot of saggy leg skin; however, I fit into a size 4 pants with no problem. With clothes on, no one can tell I have saggy legs. My breasts are pretty bad. I was a 42DD. Now I'm a 34D. I'm only a "D" because of my sag. I can literally roll my boob up. They are like saggy, deflated balloons. It's pretty bad. However, in a bra, no one can tell. After two years, I've decided I'm going to get a consultation for a breast lift and implant. I don't know if I'm going to have it done, but want to see what a doctor says.

Don't let the thought of saggy skin distract you from all the benefits. This is the first time in my life I've been skinny (or at a non-obese weight) and I'm loving it!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    There will likely be loose skin, but don't let that hinder you. I'm down approximately 90lb with 20-25 to go and I have a much better body image when I look at myself with clothing on. However, not so good naked. I'm still so much happier and have much better self esteem than when I did when I was 250lb.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I've lost 42 lbs and don't have much loose skin (I'm fairly young, so that probably helps). What little loose skin I've got is definitely tightening up; my massage therapist said she could finally see my back dimples yesterday. :) I do have persistent, almost daily body image issues; when I look in the mirror it's like a scene from a horror movie where one second I see "fat" me and the next second "thin" me. It's jarring.
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I started at 268lbs and am now sitting at 135lbs. The worst area for me is there is so much saggy skin on my upper thighs and my upper arms. My boobs are definitely deflated balloons and they sag horribly but I am far more self conscious about my thighs. I was morbidly obese for 20+ years so my skin will not likely bounce back very much. It's kind of sad yes but I am so grateful to not be carrying around all that weight anymore and I appreciate my body so much more now after all the abuse I put it through. My skin was stretched to the max for many years and two pregnancies on top of it. My body image is 100 times better now than it used to be. I've lived a lifetime being embarrassed and mortified by my body, now I am proud and confident. That is worth more to me than the loose skin :smile: