ACL torn, what to do?

Options
So, today's MRI shows my ACL is torn. Bye-bye, Mr. Ligament. Now the quandary regarding whether to have knee surgery or not. I'm interested in hearing from people who have had to make this decision. I'd like to hear from people who've had it done as well as those who have not bothered. Apparently, many people live without their ACL intact, but you will always need to be watchful of your knee. How watchful? I'm no triathlete but I like to keep active and don't want to be excluded from the occasional pickleball game. Hiking and running are high on my list of things I'd rather not wobble through....
What to do, what to do?
Thanks!

Also, ouch

Replies

• Liss1
    Liss1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery, it is not fun at all, and crutches oh so bad.... But I never have any problems with my knee at all its been over 4 years, and i am very happy i had it done.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I tore my MCL, which they don't repair. I constantly worry that I'm gonna re-tear it, but a, still living my life too. I play volleyball, run, rock climb, ski, mountain bike.... When I play impact sports, I do still wear my brace.

Ive had a few friends go through the reconstruction, and although the recovery time is long, all of them are back to normal activity levels....

Good luck whatever you choose....
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    My husband has torn his ACL twice - and had surgery to repair it twice. Both times he couldnt walk without a crutch until he got it fixed. I've known a couple other people who had that surgery too - - I didn't know it was an option not to - but I'm no expert for sure!!
  • GageG
    GageG Posts: 12
    Options
    I tore mine completely 10 years ago and had it replaced with part of my patellar ligament. After surgery I did physical therapy, particularly stretches like crazy. After healing my knee is great, even today I trail run, ski, snowshoe, snowboard, bike, etc and have no problems or pain whatsoever. For me it has been well worth it...if you work hard after.
  • nascent
    nascent Posts: 28
    Options
    I tore/stretched my ACL a couple years ago and I've been living with it. At different times I've gone back and forth on surgery, I've seen a few people that really didn't have great results with ACL surgery so I've become a bit wary. But it's true that you do have to be really careful. I can do just about anything if I'm careful not to land on my leg laterally too hard... which, honestly, is not always easy or possible to avoid if you're playing sports relatively intensely. As far as thing like jogging, biking, climbing, etc, its not problem -- no pain or anything.
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hi- I tore my ACL three times...the first two were partial tears and the last was a complete tear. I had a choice between surgery or a very expensive knee brace. The last Dr. I went to (11 yrs. ago) told me John Elway (sp.?) had the same tear and wore a brace his entire career. I opted for the brace.
    I played basketball and modified pitch softball back then. I also had a highly physical job where I was on my feet all day walking, pushing, pulling, climbing and lifting 50 - 100 lbs.
    Now I am 40 and was contemplating having the surgery. Occasionally the lower part of my leg will come out of alignment (which isn't so bad) but going back in is TERRIBLE! It sends a shock up through my torso and down both my arms ending with a tingling in my fingers.
    After living with the tear for almost 12 years now, I saw a new Dr. just last week who told me the problem isn't my ACL and that people can live their entire life with no problems without it. He said it was due to "loose-ligaments". Not the first time I have heard that. I really just want my knee not to come out of alignment anymore. I have two young children and I don't want to take the chance of hurting one of them if I fall or my knee "goes out".
    I am going to try to build the muscles up around that knee now to see if that helps the problem.
    Long story short-I was highly athletic up until about 4 years ago, was glad I didn't get the surgery but now may have to have it anyway. Good luck.
  • Icewolf_The
    Icewolf_The Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I didn't tear my ACL but I've blown out the cartilage behind my right kneecap which they can do nothing about and have to live with it for rest of my life. That being said. I've done the PT and am walking 97% pain free most of the time, some bending is an issue. Which I hope to improve with more weight loss.

Give PT a try, and if you aren't happy with how it turns out, you can always elect to do the surgery at a later date. Can't undo a surgery tho... And GL, hope it heals well for you.
  • ravick
    ravick Posts: 2
    Options
    If it is not completely torn in half, try using the treatment at Arpwave.org.

It helps people prevent many kinds of surgery, and definitely helps stop pain.

Hope it helps!
  • rschmmidt
    rschmmidt Posts: 296
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I'll keep that in mind.
    You were all so nice to respond. Good luck in meeting your goals :happy: