Cutting carbs from diet?

Options
Thinking of cutting carbs and sugar completely from my diet? Any thoughts?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    That'll be tough. A meat only diet doesn't sound that appealing to me.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    So... no vegetables? No fruit? Sounds sensible... NOT.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    @noelani716 Do you mean nothing with carbs or sugars (which would take things like fruuts, veggies, and dairy products out of your diet) or are you using it more colloquially to mean no sweets, bread, pasta, and starches?

If you truly mean 0 carbs & sugars, then you need to do some research on the keto lifestyle. It's not something I would suggest jumping into without reading up on it.
  • KarlynKeto
    KarlynKeto Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Go for it. Cutting out refined carbs was the best thing I have done for my health. They are everywhere, and there are something like 100 plus names for added sugars, so be diligent. I cut out 99.9% of processed foods to cut all the junk that makes us sick (trans fats, artificial non-food, oxidized seed oils, and especially all the sugars), so now I cook more and shop smarter. The benefits are huge from feeling better, lowering risks of diseases, losing weight, better skin, better moods....on and on and on.
  • KarlynKeto
    Options

If you truly mean 0 carbs & sugars, then you need to do some research on the keto lifestyle. It's not something I would suggest jumping into without reading up on it.

I think most people mean cutting the added sugars, but there are some who do go extreme and try to avoid all natural sugars too. That isn't nutritional Ketosis though, that is just extreme. (The exception being some chronic medical conditions which do require ALL sugars be eliminated.)

Being in nutritional Keto doesn't mean no fruits and veggies, I eat veggies at most meals and have a large colorful salad nearly every day. I have Greek yogurt with fruit nearly every day too. I think people have a lot of misconceptions as to what cutting back on carbs really looks like. Some will do it while still eating unhealthy choices, but that is the case with every way of eating.
  • lthur714
    lthur714 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    noelani716 wrote: »

If you're just thinking about it, that's great. In reality, that's going to be unrealistic. How about just cutting 50% of your carbs and sugar? That will make a huge difference and should be easier for you. Don't deny yourself, just be reasonable about it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Why? It's just another way of cutting calories.......I agree that it's useful to watch for all the added sugars (if an ingredient name ends in OSE it's a sugar) in processed foods as a way of controlling caloric intake. The only advantage a higher fat / higher protein diet may have is that you tend to have better satiety.

If you do decide to reduce your carbs do it gradually, some people report headaches and irritability when cutting them too quickly.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    KarlynKeto wrote: »

I think most people mean cutting the added sugars, but there are some who do go extreme and try to avoid all natural sugars too. That isn't nutritional Ketosis though, that is just extreme. (The exception being some chronic medical conditions which do require ALL sugars be eliminated.)

Being in nutritional Keto doesn't mean no fruits and veggies, I eat veggies at most meals and have a large colorful salad nearly every day. I have Greek yogurt with fruit nearly every day too. I think people have a lot of misconceptions as to what cutting back on carbs really looks like. Some will do it while still eating unhealthy choices, but that is the case with every way of eating.

Ketosis, of course,.doesn't mean zero veggies. But since the OP asked about cutting ALL carbs and sugars, it seemed like we should get some clarification before going forward with advice.

Given her post history, do you have any advice for the OP to go keto while pescetarian?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    my thoughts -completely uncessaryfor weight loss, health, or anything nutrition related....
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    What's your reasoning for doing so? And is it something you think you can sustain for life?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Go for it. Cutting out refined carbs was the best thing I have done for my health. They are everywhere, and there are something like 100 plus names for added sugars, so be diligent. I cut out 99.9% of processed foods to cut all the junk that makes us sick (trans fats, artificial non-food, oxidized seed oils, and especially all the sugars), so now I cook more and shop smarter. The benefits are huge from feeling better, lowering risks of diseases, losing weight, better skin, better moods....on and on and on.

so things like pasta, rice, etc make us sick, because processed?

do you have a source for that?

there is no reason to cut out carbs unless one has a medical reason to do so.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    What do you want to achieve?
    For weight loss, you need a calorie deficit.
    To eat healthily, you need enough of a whole lot of different nutrients every day. This is quite easy to get through a vaaried and balanced diet. No need to cut out anything. Try to add instead.
    To stay sane, you need to eat food you like and that is easy to buy/prepare/eat.
    To lessen cravings, eating less added sugar may help. It can also make them bigger. This is individual. Do what works for YOU, not whatever woman's magazine or blog is claiming to be THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO DO RIGHT NOW.
  • KarlynKeto
    Options

Ketosis, of course,.doesn't mean zero veggies. But since the OP asked about cutting ALL carbs and sugars, it seemed like we should get some clarification before going forward with advice.

Given her post history, do you have any advice for the OP to go keto while pescetarian?

There are groups around the internet devoted to vegetarian Ketosis, which definitely can be done. If one eats fish, it's even more flexibile.

• KarlynKeto
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I was referring to the additives in our foods that make us sick, but yes there are a lot of medical experts who feel wheats/pastas/grains are a root cause of illness. Not going to offline this thread to debate you though, have a good day.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Carbs =/= "junk" food...there are tons of highly nutritious carbs, none of which contain added sugars or trans fats or whatever...I will never undrestand why people equate carbs with junk food.

About 50-60% of my diet comes by way of carbs...and I eat very little "junk" food. I eat piles of veggies, a couple servings of fruit...I eat a lot of lentils and legumes and quinoa and brown rice and potatoes and sweet potatoes and....ermrgrd...even bread.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I was referring to the additives in our foods that make us sick, but yes there are a lot of medical experts who feel wheats/pastas/grains are a root cause of illness. Not going to offline this thread to debate you though, have a good day.

ahhh ok, so you are going to make spacious clams and then sign off when you get called out on them?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Carbs =/= "junk" food...there are tons of highly nutritious carbs, none of which contain added sugars or trans fats or whatever...I will never undrestand why people equate carbs with junk food.

About 50-60% of my diet comes by way of carbs...and I eat very little "junk" food. I eat piles of veggies, a couple servings of fruit...I eat a lot of lentils and legumes and quinoa and brown rice and potatoes and sweet potatoes and....ermrgrd...even bread.

you are going to die bro....
  • KarlynKeto
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

No one is telling you not to eat what works for you, calm down. The OP asked for comments about cutting carbs.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    lthur714 wrote: »

If you're just thinking about it, that's great. In reality, that's going to be unrealistic. How about just cutting 50% of your carbs and sugar? That will make a huge difference and should be easier for you. Don't deny yourself, just be reasonable about it.

How is it unrealistic?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    lthur714 wrote: »

How is it unrealistic?

how is zero sugar realistic? That would mean zero fruits, vegetables, breads....