Why haven't you filled out the "about me" "why I want to get in shape" "My Inspiration"??

Options
I'm always puzzled by people who don't fill out the profile section. Especially when you want new friends. I want to know your history or what your motivation for weight loss might be.

Thoughts?

Replies

• alphastarz
    alphastarz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    IMO, whether you use the phone app or a computer changes how easy it is to view and set your own profile information.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it is any of my business what someone else's reasons for being here are. I believe it is self evident that for what ever reason everyone has for being here, they are trying to become the "best", personal definition here, version of themselves as they can.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Yes I guess it's interesting to know people's backgrounds as it can sometimes help to view their posts in a better context, but I respect people's desire for privacy.

I filled in a bit of it but not the bit about "my inspirations" because quite frankly I don't have any. I'm not looking to be like anyone else.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Some don't want friends! I don't use the social aspect of the site, it distracts me and I generally find something to dislike about most people eventually. Easier not to. I probably have it filled out from the very beginning still, I certainly haven't updated it or noticed it at all lately.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    I filled in a bit of it but not the bit about "my inspirations" because quite frankly I don't have any. I'm not looking to be like anyone else.

You don't have to fill "my inspirations" with people. I use that section for my goals. People don't inspire me ... I'm inspired by specific goals I want to accomplish.

For example, I started with "blue cycling jacket" as one of my inspirations. I bought that jacket back in 2011 and it fit then. But over the years, it "shrunk". So I looked into buying a new one, but the price had gone up quite a bit!! I figured it would be cheaper for me to lose weight than to come up with the money and justification for buying a new jacket. I accomplished that goal about 10 weeks after starting with MFP. :)

One of my more recent goals (inspirations) was to cycle a 300 kilometre randonnee. I did that on March 26th. I've marked it as "done" now and will likely remove it and put something new in its place in a few weeks.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    This is a crazy idea. When I want to know something about someone, I ask them rather than creep their profile page.

FTR, I don't want to "get in shape" and I don't have any inspirations.
  • CollieFit
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I put all my 'goals' stuff into "why you want to get in shape". I guess I interpret the word "inspiration" differently. For me some new cycling jacket, that might be a motivating factor but I wouldn't call it an inspiration. Doing a century ride would be a goal, rather than an inspiration... but yeah... whatever... :smiley:
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I fully fill it out and when I see others who haven't I get curious as to why.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Because it feels like a job interview I never applied for. I simply don't feel the need.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Some don't want friends! I don't use the social aspect of the site, it distracts me and I generally find something to dislike about most people eventually. Easier not to. I probably have it filled out from the very beginning still, I certainly haven't updated it or noticed it at all lately.

I guess I was referring to the folks who say "friend me" but I have no idea if we have similar goals or whatever.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I respect the fact that some don't want to share or want to keep it private. That's totally cool. And I don't stalk people, I'm just curious when someone posts on the community board that they want help, I'd like to see their background. Someone who has struggled with their weight for years is different than someone who used to be fit and gained weight because of being pregnant.

My inspiration is myself 5 years ago, in my mid-late 40's, and perhaps I'm trying to go back in time. And I'm working on that. I'm trying to be a success story: From fat to fit to fat and fit again!

I don't update my profile too often, maybe once a year. I've been on and off this site for nearly 3 or 4 years. Things change.

Thanks all - I was just curious. No judgement ever from me.

Wishing you all a beautiful day!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Haha. People who haven't filled out their goals bother me a lot more than people who don't have a picture. However, it's still none of my business.
  • CollieFit
    Options
    bebeisfit wrote: »
    brb_2013 wrote: »

I guess I was referring to the folks who say "friend me" but I have no idea if we have similar goals or whatever.

Ah yes, I get you now. That's something that irks me too. No message with the friend request and nothing filled in, so how am I supposed to know if I want to be friends with you. LOL
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I use the iPhone app and I'm blowed if I can see where to put that info? It's not under "Profile>Goals" Do you have to be on the "Premium" version maybe?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I find those kinds of questions super annoying and hard to answer. Like job interview questions, yes. Or a survey. Or at parties etc, from random strangers: "who are you", "tell me about yourself", "what do you do", even when the doctor asks me "what are you here for", always makes me feel guilty :s

I've filled in mine though. Go ahead and read :D