Replies

• Kdp2015
    Kdp2015 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Now I need donuts
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness I'm glad we don't have that over here in the UK! Have you ever worked out the calories in one of those? Must be heaps huh but I bet it does taste amazing. Enjoy!
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    If I've been really, really good and it was a really, really long run, then this:

12495092_979146622176389_4815553935140407417_n.jpg?oh=46bb2429d5da1c832ad73a2f3a89d25f&oe=57BF1B0F

That looks amazing!!!!!
  • simmoner4
    Options
    Is there a certain amount or ratio of protein to carbs I should be eating after a run?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    simmoner4 wrote: »
    Is there a certain amount or ratio of protein to carbs I should be eating after a run?

Nope. Shoot to hit your protein/carb goals overall over the course of the day/week, but the timing is largely irrelevant. It doesn't have to be right after the run.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    If I've been really, really good and it was a really, really long run, then this:

12495092_979146622176389_4815553935140407417_n.jpg?oh=46bb2429d5da1c832ad73a2f3a89d25f&oe=57BF1B0F

For me that thing would come right back up if eaten after a hard workout.
  • Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Presumably you're fueling during the run with some gels or chews...? 20 miles would be a long run to not supplement with some carbs along the way.

I like a glass of chocolate flavored milk, or a peanut butter/honey/raisin sandwich.
  • simmoner4
    Options
    Sez3199 wrote: »
    Presumably you're fueling during the run with some gels or chews...? 20 miles would be a long run to not supplement with some carbs along the way.

I like a glass of chocolate flavored milk, or a peanut butter/honey/raisin sandwich.

Yes I'll eat a banana or something before if it's 10+ and take some chews if it's 15+ and eat them along the way.
  • simmoner4
    Options
    So today I did 17 miles and came home and had half an apple and tbsp of PB with a bowl of cream of wheat and a scoop of protein, is that a good balance do you think??
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite post long ride meals is a peanut butter, honey, and banana sandwich with a big dill pickle and a chocolate milk.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I like a light meal of mostly carbs pre-run (oatmeal is a favorite). Afterwards, my main focus is getting in proteins, but replenishing carbs is important too. After yesterday's 14 miler I had leftover roast along with some broccoli, and orange, and a roll. I think it ended up being about 400 calories. Oh! And I love drinking a tall glass of Nuun.

Cool topic - I enjoyed reading the responses.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options

i aim for about a 3:1 carb to protein ratio within 30 mins of long run.

i learned this from runnersworld.com,both (qualified&certified) personal trainers and generic research from non knuckle dragging resources.
    trial and error for most people.

• simmoner4
    Options
    cw106 wrote: »

i aim for about a 3:1 carb to protein ratio within 30 mins of long run.

i learned this from runnersworld.com,both (qualified&certified) personal trainers and generic research from non knuckle dragging resources.
    trial and error for most people.

Thank you!!