Front vs Back Squat

Options
Just started the PHUL program. Lots of different lifts to learn & track.

PHUL has back squat on power day and front squat on hypertrophy day. Do you see any issue just doing back squat on both. I am more comfortable with back squat.

Also looking at switching dumbbell flye with cable Xover.

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference is that front squat will develop your quads more. As long as you're in the prescribed rep range, I don't think it's a huge deal.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    The biggest difference is that front squat will develop your quads more. As long as you're in the prescribed rep range, I don't think it's a huge deal.

This. I do PHUL as well and think the front squat is a great addition to the program, but if you really want to back squat that's fine. I would just keep the weight down and use the rep/sets meant for the lower hypertrophy day. I had a few substitutions on that program as well.
  • robbyf1971
    robbyf1971 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ok sounds good. It was just terribly awkward doing the front squat but maybe I need to get used to it. The PHUL has leg extension & lung for the quad so I think I am hitting it pretty good.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Practice your front squat, though. It really is a different lift and it is nice to be able to mix it up every so often. I did not find that it took so long to get comfortable with it. Fight the elbows up and in. Flexible wrists (it'll come). Higher up and into the throat you can get the bar the better -- without choking yourself.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    it is an awkward and different movement and forces you to use your core and quads differently, you should try and do them and follow the program , even if its with lower weight. if holding the bar is an issue, you can use the zercher harness thing
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If you lack the flexibility necessary to properly put the bar in rack position, then you can loop lifting straps on the bar and hold them rather than the bar.

ETA: see here https://www.t-nation.com/training/how-to-front-squat-with-straps
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    In to follow any helpful advice on this one. I plan on starting PHUL as well, as soon as my ankle finishes healing up. Tried front squats with just the bar the other day, and the tops of my arms are crazy sore, almost like they're bruised. Maybe I didn't have the bar close enough to my throat as @tufel suggested.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you lack the flexibility necessary to properly put the bar in rack position, then you can loop lifting straps on the bar and hold them rather than the bar.

ETA: see here https://www.t-nation.com/training/how-to-front-squat-with-straps

This!!! This is what I do. I don't have the wrist flexibility to hold the bar in front squat so my trainer showed me how to do this. Works great.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I never really liked front squats until I learnt how to properly hold the bar in rack position. A million times more comfortable.

More comfortable than straps were, which was an improvement over crossed arms.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    When I started PHUL I did Cross Gripped front squats. I always thought I didn't have the flexibility to do them with the Olympic grip. It at least helped me build my front squat strength a bit while preparing to try olympic grip. I really think everyone should just try them one way or another. They are a great addition to your training.

Anyway, one day I just looked at the bar and realized I COULD do the olympic grip. I just seemed to understand how the bar was going to rest on my delts perfectly, the same way it would my traps in a back squat--so I was less afraid of the weight being on my wrists.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine, but I'd still recommend working on that lift...it's a different lift and it's also nice to have some variety from time to time. It can be awkward at first but it does come. I do more front squat than I do back squats but I also do a lot of Oly lifting and a good front squat comes in handy there.
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I'm in the opposite boat from you I do front squats not back squats. The reason for this is that I have too forward a lean & round my back when performing back squats. I'd end up with injury if I loaded up & performed back squats. Having the bar in front forces me to stay upright & counterbalances me.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    It's good to hit your muscles from different angles.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Front squats are so good for you though! Quads, help your core, help you build an upright torso position. Awww...front squats are super cool!
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    yeah they're a challenge to get right but the extra effort is worth it! I enjoy them more than back squats