Do you always measure your food?

Options

Replies

• spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I don't usually, but I'm considering finding my scale to weigh meats and cheeses. I have no idea how much meats and cheeses I've been eating.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Yes I measure everything with measuring cups, measuring spoons, I have a digital food scale. I am not good at guesstimating at all.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Not usually. I usually guesstimate based on cups (I can easily take a good guess at a cup of rice, but 100g means nothing!).
    Every now and again I wil measure out a cup of rice or 200g of meat or 50g of peanut butter so I can keep on track with my estimating. I know I am never going to measure every single thing I eat - I can't be bothered and I'm losing weight anyway so it's not necessary for me.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Yep I measure everything!! I have a good set of measuring cups and spoons and I have a digital food scale I got from Walmart.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I do my best to eye-ball it at work, but at home I use this cheap 15$ kitchen scale: http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Digital-Stainless-Steel-Kitchen/dp/B001QS087A/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1308876365&sr=8-3

It's super easy to use and has definitely opened my eyes to serving sizes... especially cheese!!

31mS1VWnjNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    [/quote
    bump]
  • OttawaJeannie
    Options
    I measure pretty much everything except vegetables.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Yes I measure everything with measuring cups, measuring spoons, I have a digital food scale. I am not good at guesstimating at all.

^^This is me too!
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I measure everything with a digital scale or a measuring cup (liquids only).

The best thing about the digital scale is negative measurements: I can put the condiment jar on the scale and measure how much I remove, rather than trying to put toast on the scale and measure how much I add. Well, you can do that with an analogue one I guess, so the best thing about digital specifically is precision on small measurements, but whatever.

The only things I eyeball are some condiments: soy sauce, vinegar, a couple of others where the serving size is measured in ml and I can only quantify grams (I'm not putting oyster sauce in a measuring cup before adding a bit to a stir-fry).

I also don't weigh apples or oranges since its a pain to adjust for the core or peel. I just use the unit measures in MFP. Same for bananas if Australia every has them for less than $13/kg.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    wow, you know, my initial response was "yes!!!"
    but now that i think of it, these days, I am rarely using my food scale. I used to be very anal about it, but i really haven't been eating much of the things that need measured or weighed. i eye ball my veggies now, but I DO measure out peanut butter because if i don't, i will just keep eating it!
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    90% YES, I do find that the longer I do it the better I am at guessing
  • DBabbit
    DBabbit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I measure everything unless I'm out, and then I eyeball it.
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    yes i measure EVERYTHING, even ketchup, mustard, soup, everything.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I measure EVERYTHING! I use a food scale and measuring spoons and cups for everything that crosses my lips. Seems that one of the major problems of people who are not losing is that the are (under)estimating thier calorie intake and over estimating what they burn.
  • Soziberry
    Soziberry Posts: 115
    Options
    My scales do dry and liquid weight.

I used to weigh everything but now it's just things like cooked rice/spuds/pasta or fatty stuff. I eyeball meat as to the size of a packaged unit like a chicken breast for the size of a flavour frozen kind etc which are usually 100g each. A portion of cheese should be no bigger than a match box and a jacket potato no bigger than a notebook mouse.
  • sallen67
    sallen67 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh all dry foods and measure all liquids.
    I'm terrible at judging portions and if I don't measure I find that I am way off.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Most people way underestimate the amount of food they are eyeballing, so until I got good at it, I used a scale. Though, I was a pastry chef for 2 yrs and I got pretty good. Had my fiance saying 'no way' about some measurements. He was surprised at his wrong estimates, even after measuring for a couple months..
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I weigh most things but measure liquids in liquid measuring cups or measuring spoons. Yes, even 4 months into this, I still measure everything.

I love my digital scale! And it takes normal batteries, too! http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=eatsmart&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&prmd=ivns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1191&bih=535&wrapid=tlif130893085854610&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=7892788281102435256&sa=X&ei=NbMETunuE4Lu0gGj3e3SCw&ved=0CHkQ8wIwBA
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    I started weighing and measuring when I started writing out my recipes... for some reason, folks want numbers on recipes. :happy:

I found I'm pretty good at eyeballing... except spices... I always use more than I used to think I did... but they're spices.

I had to add this when I found I had this image at work. Now that I have to measure everything for writing recipes... I'm never far from my measuring cups. (The scale sits on the counter under the spice rack... the wood you see to the right side of the stove.)

MeasuringCups.JPG

Those are the hanging portion of swivel head clothes hangers, screwed/glued into the towel rack of a bathroom cupboard that I use to store Pam, glass measuring cups, and tea.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    I do. When I didn't (last year), I didn't lose weight.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I measure before I cook things (rice and pasta) but beyond that I do not measure. I know there are roughly 4 servings every time I cook so I try to only eat around a quarter, if that makes sense.