Stop counting green veggies!!?

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No. I eat about 200 calories worth of lettuce and zucchini in a day sometimes. If I stopped counting them I would have to lower my calorie goal to compensate. I eat a lot of 5-10 calorie things as well, at the end of the day that can add up to 50 calories, plus 100 or more calories from greens...150-200 calories with a 250 calorie deficit=no deficit.

I very often weigh my leafy greens as well.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I weigh my fruits and veggies, unless I'm just putting a little lettuce/spinach on a sandwich or wrap. It barely registers as 1g, so I just add a couple leaves and call it good.

If I'm building a salad, though, I'd weigh it.

~Lyssa
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It might be a good idea or it might not be a good idea - you really don't give any detailed information about your situation.

What are you hoping to accomplish by not counting green vegetables? What problem are you hoping to solve?

I can't think of any scenarios in which I would determine that is the best course of action to take, but I don't want to make any assumptions about your particular circumstances.
  • GMAC2016
    GMAC2016 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If they are a major part of my meal such as a stir fry or veggie stew I count them. If they aren't a major part (small tomato slice on a sandwich and/or leafy (i.e. Spinach or lettuce), I may choose to skip them or estimate rather than being exact. I think the % error is much smaller if I overestimate. However, your nutrient levels tracked may not be right but it depends if you care or not.
  • LC107
    LC107 Posts: 41 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't think it is wise to stop counting anything.

This. I count the 4-5 sticks of gum I chew (5 cals a piece) a day along with my gummy vitamins at 25 cals. Those two things are only 45-50 cals but not counting that feels like I'm cheating myself or something. I also probably consume 200-300 cals of greens a day anyhow. So I guess it's just whatever you feel comfortable with but they are calories nonetheless and they (along with all the other foods) add up.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I have never heard anyone gaining tens, hundreds of pounds from eating excessive green veggies, eg broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, bell pepper, zucchini...

I think I am gonna stop counting calories of these items. Does anyone do that?

Please tell if that's a good idea.

They still have calories...if you're not accounting for them, you cans till go over your calorie targets. No one particular food item makes anyone fat...it's the accumulative effect of too many calories from all sorts of food items.

That said, I guess it would depend on how much you eat...my lunch alone usually has anywhere from 60-100 calories of veggies...so does my dinner....I also eat veggies with my breakfast, etc...I can pretty easily eat 200-300 calories per day in veggies. If my calorie target is 2300 calories and I track 2300 calories of other food but not my 300 calories of veggies, guess what...I haven't eaten 2300 calories, I've eaten 2600 calories...so you see, my body is still counting them and doesn't give a *kitten* if those extra calories came from veggies.
  • KassiesJourney
    KassiesJourney Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS COUNT EVERYTHING!!
    It's all about CICO!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Always count. My salads are just veg (not counting dressing and meat) and come to about 200 calories, then I eat about 200 more of veg throughout the day. I guess it depends if you only eat small amounts. If I just ate a small side salad with dinner and raw celery and small portion broccoli I probably wouldn't count.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally failing to see the point of counting calories at all if you're not counting everything (well, things that are more than 10 calories at least).
  • MynameisChester
    MynameisChester Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have never heard anyone gaining tens, hundreds of pounds from eating excessive green veggies, eg broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, bell pepper, zucchini...

I think I am gonna stop counting calories of these items. Does anyone do that?

Please tell if that's a good idea.

I think this might be the answer you're searching for. A lot of the responses in this thread say to count everything. I think it's good to count everything initially so you can understand how many calories are in certain ingredients. By now I am assuming that you know that vegetables are quite low in calories compared to other energy dense foods so counting them seems trivial.

I want to highlight why I stopped counting fruits and vegetables. I love eating a huge quantity and variety of fruits and vegetables on a daily basis, and logging each vegetable and fruit for me is a total pain in the *kitten*. Hell, if I ever felt a "binge episode" coming on, I simply binged on celery, romaine lettuce, or really any other leafy greens as these were quite hard to overeat. I mean eating 12 celery stalks is like a whopping 100 calories. I'd be so full from the water and fiber content that I wouldn't want to eat anything else. This is why fruits and vegetables are ALWAYS included in any weight loss diet. By eating fruits and vegetables, you fill yourself with so much fiber and water that you naturally tend not to consume any more excess calories.

Additionally, vegetables contain insoluble fiber. INSOLUBLE FIBER CANNOT BE ABSORBED, THUS IT DOES NOT CONTRIBUTE CALORIES. I am not saying that vegetables do not contribute calories, BUT IT IS THE INSOLUBLE FIBER COMPONENTS IN VEGETABLES WHICH ARE THE PARTS THAT DO NOT CONTRIBUTE CALORIES. There are also studies that support that insoluble fiber may block calorie absorption. So if you ate 100 calories of fat, consuming insoluble fiber may only allow you to really consume like 85 calories instead, the other 15 comes out as poop (these aren't real numbers, they are for illustration purposes only). Also, eating fruits and vegetables uses more calories for digestion compared to like a candy bar. I doubt anyone logs in "digestion" to their exercise category. As a result, counting calories are never truly accurate, which gives basis as to why I don't really pay too much attention to the actual calorie numbers.

And here are some literature to support my stance. Fun reading!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3257631/

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/nutrition/pdf/rtp_practitioner_10_07.pdf

• MynameisChester
    Options
    *Edit "total pain in the *kitten*" not "total pain in the kitten" =/
  • MynameisChester
    Options
    *Edit "total pain in the butt," I guess I can't type the a word
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I count them, but I'm not super picky about their weights. I might log 100g of kale instead of 98 or 102g, but I need to log it nonetheless. At least 200-300 of my calories come from vegetables, and not counting them would cause me to gain weight instead of lose (I'm at about a 250 calorie deficit).
  • Dominicj569
    Dominicj569 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I dont count them, but I dont go mad either.
    The reality is the dressing or oil they are cooked is going to be more calories than the veg.
    I count that.

Once upon a time, Id weigh a clove of garlic, dont bother now.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    I might stop, I find I can't over eat on them anyway. 100g of Green beans for example and I'm sick of them and thats only around 35 kcal, same with broccoli etc

@dave_in_ni you hit on the secret of pigging out, staying full and losing weight. Non processed carbs are good for us and do not promote weight gain like processed carbs devoid of fiber that can drive up our insulin levels stopping fat loss.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    It's silly to compare low cal vegetables with cookies.

Cookies need to be counted because they are very easy to overeat, and they don't come in ones. Low cal veggies like zucchini take a big awareness and effort to overeat. My goodness it takes almost 600 grams (3 medium) of zucchini to get 100 Calories!

Another advantage of not counting and allowing yourself to overeat vegetables is you will likely get full faster and eat less of high cal foods.

ps. well, if you are worried, just eat 100 Cal less of the other foods to make room and pig out on green veggies, no? In my home I just keep 3, 4 plates full of cucumber, jicama, celery on the kitchen counter always. :)
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    It's silly to compare low cal vegetables with cookies.

Cookies need to be counted because they are very easy to overeat, and they don't come in ones. Low cal veggies like zucchini take a big awareness and effort to overeat. My goodness it takes almost 600 grams (3 medium) of zucchini to get 100 Calories!

Another advantage of not counting and allowing yourself to overeat vegetables is you will likely get full faster and eat less of high cal foods.

ps. well, if you are worried, just eat 100 Cal less of the other foods to make room and pig out on green veggies, no? In my home I just keep 3, 4 plates full of cucumber, jicama, celery on the kitchen counter always. :)

Nah, I'll just count what I eat....and have an actual accurate record of my food consumption.

That works for you. But counting everything literally doesn't work for me. For instance like today I went out with friends and ordered the biggest bowl of a beef noodle dish I have no idea the calorie value for it.

I also have a bit of OCD. I don't want to trade my wt issue for more of the OCD :)

A solution for me (for both of the issues above) is to be "generous" with myself. Give an eating instance or a food a rough estimate, watch the scale the next day, adjust, eat 300 well under my daily allowance if necessary. Move on.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I track everything I eat. Even romaine lettuce has a few calories. Even if it's less than 10 calories I still add it. Some of the veggies also have fiber and sodium and what not as well. All of that factors in for your day when entered on your food diary.

I also weigh and measure every thing, even veggies. I don't guess on the portion sizes. That's how I got to the point of being overweight to begin with. And I know I didn't get 'fat' off eating veggies or the green stuff but if I stop tracking some things then I will get more lax in tracking other things as well. I don't want that to happen.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I count them. The only thing I don't count (so far) is mustard. I only use about 1 tsp in a day, and not every day, and the calories in that are negligible.