Staying fit after 60.

Options
Rick_1953
Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
Hi, new here. Any mature users on here ever want to communicate about success or setbacks. I'm here

Replies

• LindaRobertsAntinoro
    Options
    I definitely qualify as one of the "mature" users! I'll be 70 on June 1st. I've been steadily working out for 4 years now and I"m very frustrated by still having so much "flabbiness" and loose skin (especially the "bat wings" and flabby thighs.) Two weeks ago I started a "Flat Abs in 60 Days" Program in Columbia MD that is very challenging. Workouts are 6 days a week (about 90 minutes per session) alternating between cardio and weight training. We are encouraged to eat more than I'm used to adhering to the theory "one must eat fat to loose fat" and assuming eating several times throughout the day will boost metabolism. Maybe it's too soon to realize good results so I'm sticking with it for the entire 60 day duration. Essentially my goal is to look the best I can on June 1st, the official 70 year old mark! How are you doing?
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    63 here and will never give up on myself. I strive to do better every day!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    66 years in so far. I'm not doing weights or anything. My best successes have been with qi gong, yoga, floor excersize and walks. I'm losing a few pounds now very slowly which I'm happy about. Cheers to you Linda, its inspiring to know you've taken on something like that! Go girl!
    and Way good attitude iwtbfcin3.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    That's great to hear. I myself am not trying to lose weight as much as I am trying to lose body fat while adding some lean muscle. That is harder than it sounds because I am still trying to get my calorie intake right to support muscle growth. Hope you stay in touch
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    Wish you lots of luck Linda with your new program
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    IWTBFCIN3 wrote: »
    63 here and will never give up on myself. I strive to do better every day!

Good for you girl
  • TheTagman
    TheTagman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm pushin' 60 and was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I'm only about 10 pounds away from my goal, but my main concern right now is trying to get my blood sugar issues under control. I'm doing a very low carb diet (20 a day) and doing quite a bit of cardio in an attempt to do this. Anyone can add me if they need support or if they think they can help me!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    60 y/o, quite active for about a dozen years now , after becoming a rower by serendipity following cancer treatment. Until last year, I was the atypical fit fat person, now I'm a regular ol' skinny pretty-active person. I row (water & machine), spin, bike in season, canoe & kayak a little (mostly row ;) ), do yoga/stretching near daily, have been re-starting lifting after a several-year hiatus, and I do whatever other fun active things present themselves that don't conflict with my minor physical issues (mainly torn meniscus in my left knee). Now that I'm lighter, I've been working toward chin-ups.
  • cmstanford1952
    cmstanford1952 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I haven't been exercising like I know I should, so I have been tired. Like IWTBFCIN3 (above in this thread), I'm also 63 years young and will never give up on myself! I am a breast cancer survivor and starting to think about my next new adventures in life, when I retire in a couple of years. I want to have plenty of energy for the next phase. I have been protesting ageism since I was in my twenties. I want to age gracefully and become a wise elder, a spirited leader and active listener.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    Nice to hear from you all and sharing your stories. I am 62, was always an active guy till I let life get in the way for the last couple of years. Got back to taking care of myself now for about 3 months. Have my body fat down to 27%, my goal is to get below 25. Trying like hell to put some muscle back on. I am at 26% muscle and it should be 33. I do resistance training and walking. Still trying to get the right calorie intake figured out to reach my goals.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    I haven't been exercising like I know I should, so I have been tired. Like IWTBFCIN3 (above in this thread), I'm also 63 years young and will never give up on myself! I am a breast cancer survivor and starting to think about my next new adventures in life, when I retire in a couple of years. I want to have plenty of energy for the next phase. I have been protesting ageism since I was in my twenties. I want to age gracefully and become a wise elder, a spirited leader and active listener.

I like your attitude. I too am not going to go into my golden years without a fight haha
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    60 y/o, quite active for about a dozen years now , after becoming a rower by serendipity following cancer treatment. Until last year, I was the atypical fit fat person, now I'm a regular ol' skinny pretty-active person. I row (water & machine), spin, bike in season, canoe & kayak a little (mostly row ;) ), do yoga/stretching near daily, have been re-starting lifting after a several-year hiatus, and I do whatever other fun active things present themselves that don't conflict with my minor physical issues (mainly torn meniscus in my left knee). Now that I'm lighter, I've been working toward chin-ups.

You go girl, love your attitude
  • RockTex
    RockTex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My goals are exactly the same. Working hard to lose about 9-9 pounds of fat and hold on to every bit of muscle I can in the least and add some at best. It is a slow road getting lean at our age but i know it can be done.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    It sure is slow. I could lost the body fat soon enough but adding the muscle back is har
    RockTex wrote: »
    My goals are exactly the same. Working hard to lose about 9-9 pounds of fat and hold on to every bit of muscle I can in the least and add some at best. It is a slow road getting lean at our age but i know it can be done.

Harder than ever