Not Loosing using Macros

Options
Hello, I have been doing Macros for about 5 weeks. My weight hasn't moved. I am hitting my macros. Once in a while over on fats, occasionally on carbs. I am currently eating 1700 calories, 170 protein, 64 carbs and 85 fats. I put in that I wanted to loose 2 pds a week. I exercise 6 days a week. 3 days with personal trainer, 2 days water fitness and Saturdays on my own. Here is my history. Before Macros I was original eating 1200 calories, hit a wall with that and went down to 1000 calories or less. Trainer told me this would come back to bite me. I think I messed up my metabolism somehow. My trainer told me she would like to see me at 75 carbs on days when I work with her (3). I am going to stick with it but would like to see some results. Any suggestions? Joanne

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    How old are you?
    How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh?

Alternately, What are your BMR and TDEE numbers?

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Your macro counts probably won't do as much as being sure you're eating in a deficit. Are you sure you are?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    You indicate you've been at this plan for 5 weeks, so its understandable you expect to see something in way of results.

What was your weight 5 weeks ago?
    What is your weight now?
    What is your age & height?

Do you log your food, everyday? Use a food scale for solids? Log all cooking oils, beverages, condiments, etc?

• MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    To lose 2 lbs on 1700 calories, you would have to be burning 2700 a day. Although I don't know your stats, that seems pretty high for the average woman.
  • sunflo7019
    sunflo7019 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You indicate you've been at this plan for 5 weeks, so its understandable you expect to see something in way of results.

What is your weight now?

Do you log your food, everyday? Use a food scale for solids? Log all cooking oils, beverages, condiments, etc?
    I was 258 when I started remained the same the next week then up 2 next week down 2 right back to 258. I am 53 yrs old and 5 foot. I log every day every thing. Beverages usially only water an occasional green tea.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    Do you used a digital kitchen scale to measure food amounts in grams? If not, you are likely eating more than you think. In fact, if your weight has not changed in 5 weeks, you are likely eating at maintenance. In other words if you want to keep measuring your food the way you are now, you need to reduce your calorie goal. The other option, if you are not using a kitchen scale, is get one and stick at your current calories. That way you can know your calories eaten are going to be quite close to those logged. https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    For a better understanding as a suggestion change your Food Diary to public otherwise it's a tough guessing game.
    Go to HOME>SETTINGS>DIARY SETTING then DAIRY SHARING at the bottom tick PUBLIC. This can be changed back later if needed.
    Only if you feel comfortable that is.
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    sunflo7019 wrote: »

What is your weight now?

I was 258 when I started remained the same the next week then up 2 next week down 2 right back to 258. I am 53 yrs old and 5 foot. I log every day every thing. Beverages usially only water an occasional green tea.

Yeah at only 5 foot, you're burning nowhere near 2700 calories (you said you expect to lose 2 lbs per week). In fact you're probably not even burning 2200 calories (the number needed to lose 1 lb per week). I suggest you reevaluate your TDEE and adjust your macros from there.
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Did you start your exercise regime 5 weeks ago?
    If so, that can play a part. I stalled for 5 weeks after I started lifting. Currently I take a break and eat at maintenance or just below. After 2 weeks I will reduce again.
    Loss so far was 10 kg.
    Btw I am 56
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @sunflo7019 how long did you under eat that you think may have messed up your metabolism somehow?
  • sunflo7019
    Options
    6pkdreamer wrote: »
    For a better understanding as a suggestion change your Food Diary to public otherwise it's a tough guessing game.
    Go to HOME>SETTINGS>DIARY SETTING then DAIRY SHARING at the bottom tick PUBLIC. This can be changed back later if needed.
    Only if you feel comfortable that is.

I went in and changed my settings to public. I am so mess up with this. Up a pound this morning. I must have my numbers all wrong.
  • sunflo7019
    Options
    @sunflo7019 how long did you under eat that you think may have messed up your metabolism somehow?

At least 3 months of eating 1000 calories or less.
  • sunflo7019
    Options
    SIMAKRA wrote: »
    Did you start your exercise regime 5 weeks ago?
    If so, that can play a part. I stalled for 5 weeks after I started lifting. Currently I take a break and eat at maintenance or just below. After 2 weeks I will reduce again.
    Loss so far was 10 kg.
    Btw I am 56

I have been exercising consistently since last August. Personal trainer 3 days a week and water fitness 2 days a week. With trainer we do all kinds of mixed stuff such as circuit training, some strength all kinds of different stuff. I have been stalled a long time. I think I have my numbers all mixed up. I think I am on a maintenance type number.
  • sunflo7019
    Options

What is your weight now?

Yeah at only 5 foot, you're burning nowhere near 2700 calories (you said you expect to lose 2 lbs per week). In fact you're probably not even burning 2200 calories (the number needed to lose 1 lb per week). I suggest you reevaluate your TDEE and adjust your macros from there.

I think you are right. I am currently using a BMR of 1699 and TDEE of 2125. Protein 170g carbs 64g and fat 85g. So confused with all of this I am up a pound this morning. I did not exercise this week as I had tendonitis in my shoulder and couldn't lift it up. I did finally get a good walk in yesterday. Got a cortisone shot and it is feeling much better.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    It seems you aren't weight food and are logging by estimation (lots of cups and servings in there) - start first by tightening that. Try at least to weigh your food for a week. Second, give yourself more time, it might seem that you aren't losing but variations are quite normal for a variety of reasons, with slow loss, they can mask weight loss.

How active are you? Some people need to add activity in order to not make drastic cuts in their eating.

Good luck.
  • sunflo7019
    Options
    Do you used a digital kitchen scale to measure food amounts in grams? If not, you are likely eating more than you think. In fact, if your weight has not changed in 5 weeks, you are likely eating at maintenance. In other words if you want to keep measuring your food the way you are now, you need to reduce your calorie goal. The other option, if you are not using a kitchen scale, is get one and stick at your current calories. That way you can know your calories eaten are going to be quite close to those logged. https://youtu.be/vjKPIcI51lU

I do have a scale but not digital. It doesn't do grams. I checked it this morning. I use it to measure ounces of meat mostly. I have not measured in grams. The video was great thanks. That was an eye opener. I will get a new scale for sure. Thanks for the eye opener on that.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,097 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I quick ran it on one of the tdee calculators online and got a maintenance of 2,018 for you at 258lbs and 5ft tall at your age for Sedentary 2,018 calories per day.

It sounds like you could classify as moderate activity so 2,607, Light Exercise is 2,312 calories per day.

That gives you an idea though. 2lbs a week is 1000 calories less a day, 1lb is 500 calories less a day.
  • sunflo7019
    Options
    Thank you for your response. This is making me crazy this morning. So calories for moderate is 2607 so for 2 pounds a week I need to reduce down to 1607 in calories correct? Then figure out the macros from the 1607? Currently I am at 1699 in calories. I know the 2 pounds a week seems like a lot. I feel like things are not happening fast enough. Let me explain. I have a cancerous cyst on my kidney. Have to have it out. The surgery is at least 6 hrs. My surgeon feels at my current weight it is not safe for the surgery. When I say him back in Nov I had lost about 40 pounds and he still wanted me to keep going. Since then it has been a down hill slide. I was doing 1200 calories a day (no using macros) hit a wall. So went down to 1000 calories a day or less. Still no movement so I went to using macros that was 6 weeks ago. During the holidays I fell of the wagon and it ran over me (gained 10 pds) took me 2 months to loose that. So still stalled. I feel as if I am under the gun as I have to go back to him at the end of June. So desperate to get this thing moving again. I have to be over eating some.
  • 6pkdreamer
    6pkdreamer Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I quick ran it on one of the tdee calculators online and got a maintenance of 2,018 for you at 258lbs and 5ft tall at your age for Sedentary 2,018 calories per day.

It sounds like you could classify as moderate activity so 2,607, Light Exercise is 2,312 calories per day.

That gives you an idea though. 2lbs a week is 1000 calories less a day, 1lb is 500 calories less a day.

I agree and if you have say been exercising for say 3/4 hour the rest of the day can be recuperation ie sedentary (purely speculation). Therefore closer to 2312. Could be building some muscle perhaps?
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being so proactive taking care of your health. It does seem like you need to reduce intake some.

I am curious how you arrived at 170 grams of protein. You may not need quite that much, which might make the reduction easier and let you boost carbs some. When you have a lot of body fat there is less risk of losing lean mass.

I tried to set mine based on lean body mass, not total body weight. I try to hit at least 100 grams a day, which is at least .8 times my best guess at lean body mass. You could go for 1 times lean body mass if you want to get it higher.

There are a few different calculators to estimate your lean body mass online. I get different body fat percentages on different ones...currently between 27% and 33% body fat. I've been using the Navy tape method for trend.

fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your response. This is making me crazy this morning. So calories for moderate is 2607 so for 2 pounds a week I need to reduce down to 1607 in calories correct? Then figure out the macros from the 1607? Currently I am at 1699 in calories. I know the 2 pounds a week seems like a lot. I feel like things are not happening fast enough. Let me explain. I have a cancerous cyst on my kidney. Have to have it out. The surgery is at least 6 hrs. My surgeon feels at my current weight it is not safe for the surgery. When I say him back in Nov I had lost about 40 pounds and he still wanted me to keep going. Since then it has been a down hill slide. I was doing 1200 calories a day (no using macros) hit a wall. So went down to 1000 calories a day or less. Still no movement so I went to using macros that was 6 weeks ago. During the holidays I fell of the wagon and it ran over me (gained 10 pds) took me 2 months to loose that. So still stalled. I feel as if I am under the gun as I have to go back to him at the end of June. So desperate to get this thing moving again. I have to be over eating some.

Wait. I understand all the anxiety and I'm sorry about the future surgery and the stress that is causing. But think about what you've done, you aren't stalled, you lost 10 lbs! in 2 months! that is more than 1 lb a week!

Stick to this, as you've got it set and don't go crazy - a realistic loss (without trying to go to strict which will make you fall off the wagon again) will be 10-15 lbs by that time. If that isn't enough, there are other dieting methods for rapid loss that might make sense if you need to prepare for surgery, but these boards are not intended for that type of discuss - and likely need a doctors supervision.