Workout routine help

Options
KBH90
KBH90 Posts: 11 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I joined the gym a few days ago and had an hour single session with a personal trainer today. This is what I did:

Walking on the treadmill: Incline 5%, Speed 5.0, 5 minutes
Spin bike x 6 (For 10 seconds)
Wall squats x 3 - 10 seconds
Shoulder Press: 10kg - 10 reps x 1. 20kg 10 reps x 2
Leg press: 10 reps x 2 (Can't rememember the weight!)
TRX Machine: Uperbody 10 reps x 2
Rowing machine - 1 minute x 2 (Cannot remember the resistance)
I am female and weigh 17 stone. Does this sound about right for starting out? Anything that you would change? I'd like to include the chest press also.

Replies

• KBH90
    Options
    Bump.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I don't understand. I'd ask for another session and an actual workout program.
  • KBH90
    Options
    I don't have any money for another session.

I'm going back to the gym tomorrow and have no idea what machines I should focus on, how many sets and reps.
  • julyrunner
    julyrunner Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    OP, what are your goals and what is your current fitness level? Can you translate stones into pounds? And how did the workout feel, both during and after?

Abstractly, I'd say it seems pretty conservative and your trainer probably could have pushed you more (and given you a more well-rounded workout). But, if it felt really hard, you should give yourself permission to build up slowly.
  • KBH90
    edited April 2016
    Options
    julyrunner wrote: »
    OP, what are your goals and what is your current fitness level? Can you translate stones into pounds? And how did the workout feel, both during and after?

Abstractly, I'd say it seems pretty conservative and your trainer probably could have pushed you more (and given you a more well-rounded workout). But, if it felt really hard, you should give yourself permission to build up slowly.

240lbs.

I am hiking the grand canyon in September so I want to be able to handle the hiking. I'll also be going to vagas with potential pool party opportunities. I'd like to be able to wear a bikini without feeling embarrased.

It started off well, the treadmill and spin bike was doable but by the time I reached the wall squats, I was unable to last the 10 seconds he set me.

Weight training was fine, I was only able to lift the 20lbs on the shoulder press machine although it was a struggle. He tried me with the 30lbs but I couldn't do it. 10 reps.

I don't know how many sets I should be doing, and when to add more reps or increase weight. Would I need to do 20lbs for the first month, then move onto 30lbs on the next month?

I enjoyed the weight training more than the cardio, I liked the weight machines and would prefer those than dumbells and barbells. So if I can do a fully body workout each session using those in addition to the treadmill then that would be great.

I don't want to gain weight / bulk up like a man such as the arms etc. I'd like to lose weight, tone up and look good. Abs would be nice though!
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    KBH90 wrote: »

I don't know how many sets I should be doing, and when to add more reps or increase weight. Would I need to do 20lbs for the first month, then move onto 30lbs on the next month?

It looks like the pt started you off with 2 sets for most exercises. This is as good a starting point as any. If you're feeling like you have more gas in the tank by the end, you can increase the amount of sets. I would start off slow and get familiar with the moves and machines first.

Beginners usually start around 8-12 reps/set. Once you're strong enough to do more than 12 reps with a given weight, then you'll increase the weight and do between 8-12 reps at the heavier weight. Let your own strength be your guide.

I don't know what the "TRX Machine: Upperbody" consists of, but a general rule of thumb is to do
    1. horizontal pushing (ie chest press)
    2. horizontal pulling (ie seated cable row?)
    3. vertical pushing (ie shoulder press)
    4. vertical pulling (ie lat pulldown)
    (Sorry, not too familiar with machines or what's available at your gym.)

For your legs, generally do something that emphasizes the front (quads) and back (hamstrings). You're already familiar with leg press, so you could add the leg curl if you'd like. Honestly, the best way to get good at something is by doing it, so if you want to hike, then hike!

Starting out, the most important thing is to avoid injury. So start modest, only lift weights you can control, and learn the movements. Good luck!
  • KBH90
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »

It looks like the pt started you off with 2 sets for most exercises. This is as good a starting point as any. If you're feeling like you have more gas in the tank by the end, you can increase the amount of sets. I would start off slow and get familiar with the moves and machines first.

Beginners usually start around 8-12 reps/set. Once you're strong enough to do more than 12 reps with a given weight, then you'll increase the weight and do between 8-12 reps at the heavier weight. Let your own strength be your guide.

I don't know what the "TRX Machine: Upperbody" consists of, but a general rule of thumb is to do
    1. horizontal pushing (ie chest press)
    2. horizontal pulling (ie seated cable row?)
    3. vertical pushing (ie shoulder press)
    4. vertical pulling (ie lat pulldown)
    (Sorry, not too familiar with machines or what's available at your gym.)

For your legs, generally do something that emphasizes the front (quads) and back (hamstrings). You're already familiar with leg press, so you could add the leg curl if you'd like. Honestly, the best way to get good at something is by doing it, so if you want to hike, then hike!

Starting out, the most important thing is to avoid injury. So start modest, only lift weights you can control, and learn the movements. Good luck!

Thank you very much!

So If I start with 20lbs and when I am comfortable at 12 reps and feel this is no longer sufficient, move onto 30lbs and start with 8 reps again. It's just rince and repeat?

What I meant by the TRX is something like this

The gym uses Matrix equipment if that helps too.

Judging by your suggestions that would take me to about 6 machines which sounds good. Should I still warm up with treadmill or just stick to the machines?
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    There are weight training programs that many folks on here recommend which take the guess work out of weight training for the most part:

Strong Lifts 5 x 5 (has an app and group on here) very begginer friendly
    Ice Cream Fitness (has an app)
    New Rules of Lifting for women (not sure about app)

Following these programs allows for a steady weight progression. You may want to check them out to see which one fits your goals.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    So If I start with 20lbs and when I am comfortable at 12 reps and feel this is no longer sufficient, move onto 30lbs and start with 8 reps again. It's just rince and repeat?
    Exactly! When you can do 13 reps, increase the weight. At the heavier weight, do as many as you can. You don't have to start at 8, just be in the range of 8-12.
    Judging by your suggestions that would take me to about 6 machines which sounds good. Should I still warm up with treadmill or just stick to the machines?
    Definitely still warmup! My advice is just pertaining to the strength training portion. You will still want to warmup with whatever you prefer (bike/treadmill/rowing machine/etc) and could add cardio at the end. Since you want to hike, varying the incline while walking on the treadmill might be a good starting point.

It would be good to take a look at the programs @Syneea recommended as well (especially Strong Lifts). AFAIK, they all work with free weights, but could be adapted to machines. If you decide to use free weights, I'd get another session with the pt to help you with form.
  • KBH90
    edited April 2016
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    Exactly! When you can do 13 reps, increase the weight. At the heavier weight, do as many as you can. You don't have to start at 8, just be in the range of 8-12.
    Definitely still warmup! My advice is just pertaining to the strength training portion. You will still want to warmup with whatever you prefer (bike/treadmill/rowing machine/etc) and could add cardio at the end. Since you want to hike, varying the incline while walking on the treadmill might be a good starting point.

It would be good to take a look at the programs @Syneea recommended as well (especially Strong Lifts). AFAIK, they all work with free weights, but could be adapted to machines. If you decide to use free weights, I'd get another session with the pt to help you with form.

Thank you! What would you suggest as the starting weight? And how long on average should it take me to move up a weight? I'm just scared I will bulk up, I just want to lose weight and tone up. :) I will take a look at the suggested programs and try and adapt it to the machines.