Energy on low carb diet

Options
Hey everyone, so I've been on a long journey to lose a lot of fat, primarily my stomach. This past month I stayed below 20G of carbs daily, and anywhere from 1400-1800 calories. I'm 6'3, 18, 212, and workout 5 days a week. Recently I've had absolutely no energy, and feel sluggish before starting to workout. Any tips on how to have energy before a workout? Possibly a low carb energy bar that works? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Uhhh... Do the math. 6'3", exercising most days and averaging 1600 calories? Eat more food.
  • mtizi
    mtizi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Agree! You need some fat bombs.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

You are a minimally overweight 18 yo male. Eating at that kind of calorie level is mind boggling to me.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So you stopped eating carbs and now you have no energy? Do you have any guesses as to why that might be and/or your appropriate course of action?

Hint: carbs are your body's primary source of energy
  • TylerWhiite
    TylerWhiite Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Eat more.

You are a minimally overweight 18 yo male. Eating at that kind of calorie level is mind boggling to me.

It's definitely been tough for me. I have a lot of fat to burn, so I believe that a slightly larger deficit wouldn't hurt me as much. I have a size 38 waist, so I'm guessing my BFP is around 19-20. I would like to lose as much fat as I can, so I figured creating a deficit would work better. Averaging around 1400-1800 calories daily.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Carbs are your friend.
  • jemhh
    Options
    tw807278 wrote: »
    Eat more.

It's definitely been tough for me. I have a lot of fat to burn, so I believe that a slightly larger deficit wouldn't hurt me as much. I have a size 38 waist, so I'm guessing my BFP is around 19-20. I would like to lose as much fat as I can, so I figured creating a deficit would work better. Averaging around 1400-1800 calories daily.

That's a huge range to be considered an average. What is your actual calculated average for March 26 -April 1?

And yeah, eat more carbs.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

Is your goal to lose a lot of muscle too?
  • TylerWhiite
    Options
    Eat more.

That's a huge range to be considered an average. What is your actual calculated average for March 26 -April 1?

My average was 1,505.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options
    janjunie wrote: »
    Eat more.

Of course not haha. However, I never did a "bulking" stage, so I don't have muscle to lose. I always used weight lifting as a form of exercise, but never took it to build muscle. My whole life I've been overweight, and all I want is to be able to feel good and enjoy life and the summer and the beach. That's why I've been going very very low calorie. I'm just tired of being overweight and it's depressing.
  • jemhh
    Options
    Eat more.

My average was 1,505.

Am I mixing you up with somebody else or have you already lost a significant amount of weight? I feel like I saw you write that in another thread.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options
    Eat more.

My average was 1,505.

Am I mixing you up with somebody else or have you already lost a significant amount of weight? I feel like I saw you write that in another thread.

Yeah it's probably me haha. I've lost over 100 pounds over the course of a year. I'm still overweight though and still have a lot of stomach fat that I just need to lose and it's killing me. It's just depressing because I want to enjoy the beach and hang with friends, but my appearance isn't where I want it to be, and it frustrates me.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    According to this calculator, someone with your stats and level of activity would need 2500 calories per day for a 1.5 lb per week weight loss. So you're running 700-1100 calories under where you should be. So ... does that give you a clue as to why you have no energy?

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
  • jemhh
    Options
    Eat more.

My average was 1,505.

Yeah it's probably me haha. I've lost over 100 pounds over the course of a year. I'm still overweight though and still have a lot of stomach fat that I just need to lose and it's killing me. It's just depressing because I want to enjoy the beach and hang with friends, but my appearance isn't where I want it to be, and it frustrates me.

I understand where you're coming from. At the same time, I think you'd be further ahead at this point to accept that 2016 is not going to be your dream beach summer, eat at maintenance and seriously lift, and then start cutting maybe around January. You are in the prime testosterone-y muscle building prime of your life. Take advantage of it. Low calorie and cutting cutting cutting is not always the answer.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

Of course not haha. However, I never did a "bulking" stage, so I don't have muscle to lose. I always used weight lifting as a form of exercise, but never took it to build muscle. My whole life I've been overweight, and all I want is to be able to feel good and enjoy life and the summer and the beach. That's why I've been going very very low calorie. I'm just tired of being overweight and it's depressing.

you lose muscle when you lose weight. doesnt matter if you did a bulking stage or not,this is a normal part of weight loss that is why they recommend getting enough protein and lifting weights to retain any lean muscle you do have already. very low calorie is not the way to go either. your health is at stake when you go too low. 1400 for a male is too low. 1800 may even be too low for some.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options
    Eat more.

you lose muscle when you lose weight. doesnt matter if you did a bulking stage or not,this is a normal part of weight loss that is why they recommend getting enough protein and lifting weights to retain any lean muscle you do have already. very low calorie is not the way to go either. your health is at stake when you go too low. 1400 for a male is too low. 1800 may even be too low for some.

Yeah I understand. I was hoping that by working out constantly and eating adequate protein that I could retain some muscle while losing fat.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    So you stopped eating carbs and now you have no energy? Do you have any guesses as to why that might be and/or your appropriate course of action?

Hint: carbs are your body's primary source of energy

Uh, no. Carbs are only your body's primary source of energy if you're eating carbs. If you're eating as little carbs as he is, your body goes into ketosis and your body will burn fats for energy instead.

This kid has no energy because of his caloric intake, not because of a lack of carbs.

I'm 5'10", 172lbs, and lift every day for an hour or more. I eat 3,000 calories a day just to maintain my weight.
  • drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options

Also, I eat less than 50g carbs a day.
  • TylerWhiite
    Options
    drwilseyjr wrote: »
    Also, I eat less than 50g carbs a day.

Yeah that was my goal, to go into ketosis so my body would burn fat. You're right about the calories though, that is most likely why I don't have the energy I need. I'm just doing as much as I can to lose fat.