Second thoughts about surgery

Options
124»

Replies

• NewDeb16
    NewDeb16 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was scheduled for the sleeve. Went to my PCP to get a referral and she told me I had nothing but excuses. Excuses why I gained weight, excuses why I can't work out. She's the second doctor to tell me that most patients put the weight back on after surgery. It's all in the head. It's not a stomach issue. So, unless you're basically on your death bed because of your weight and health issues, I would encourage you to take a step back and examine your mind. I am in the process of doing this right now. I'm an emotional eater, I tend to eat when I'm bored. My stomach isn't complaining at all. In fact, the other day I got surprised when I actually felt my stomach growl!!! I'm learning to eat when I'm hungry. That was exciting for me. Sure, my feet hurt and knees hurt, but I find exercises I can do to accommodate my pain. I thank God for my doctor who is real, to tell me straight up. STOP BEING FULL OF EXCUSES". This helped me. I hope it helps you. And besides, you can save your money.
  • stephaniecjohn
    stephaniecjohn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A gastric sleeve per JAMA is as risky as getting your gallbladder out. It will cut your chances of dying in the next 5 years by 89%. Look it up
    ... Journal of the AMA. Free online. Fat is #1 risk factor for breast cancer. Do your own research. Ask a public librarian for help.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    A gastric sleeve per JAMA is as risky as getting your gallbladder out. It will cut your chances of dying in the next 5 years by 89%. Look it up
    ... Journal of the AMA. Free online. Fat is #1 risk factor for breast cancer. Do your own research. Ask a public librarian for help.

Losing weight does that. If someone isn't in serious risk of dying soon, surgery is optional. Whether she wants to take that option or not is up to her.
  • BeeRodMul
    BeeRodMul Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well based on my weight yesterday, I'm about 15 pounds of being disqualified. And even if I lose it before the 3 months, I don't think I want to maintain. I want to lose more!
    u0pxjs5yawwi.png
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You are awesome! Look at how much progress you have made. You can do this!! Don't get discouraged when/if you have a week where you don't lose as much. It happens to all of us. Just hang on and keep doing what you are doing, keep learning and start moving more.

I am so proud of you.

~Signed, your online SurrogateMom. :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Look at you go! I'm so proud of you. Keep at it. You can obviously do this without the surgery.

FYI, you ROCK!!!
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Keep going, BR! You can do this!
  • letitbe8807
    letitbe8807 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    When I started at 350 pounds I definetly thought about getting surgery. And I'm forever grateful that I left it at a thought. I have successfully lost 120 pounds using this app. I still have 60 pounds to go but I know I can lose it because I have the tools necissary to do it. This process has been amazing therapy for me and has helped me deal with issues from my past. All in all do what is best for you!
  • Autum1031
    Autum1031 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    As someone who had the gastric sleeve about 5 months ago, I'm alarmed at all of the well-meaning but misinformed advice that is posted here. I recommend checking out this group for some of your questions. This group is honest, they'll tell you the good and the possible complications: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

(for example, the sleeve does not cause dumping syndrome, nor does it cause massive vitamin deficiencies).

Surgery may or may not be for you. As others have said, you have to recognize it for what it is, a tool to get you started, and often to reverse many serious, often deadly health conditions. You absolutely have to work on fixing the mental issues that cause you to overeat.

Also, don't fall for the "oh you took the easy way out" comments you may hear from others. This path is work, and it's hard, and it takes commitment. For some, it's a fantastic tool to help you lead a healthier life. I highly recommend checking out the above community to get a more rounded POV. Good luck in whatever you decide!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    My mom just had this procedure a few weeks ago. She's happy but I already see that her habits aren't magically different. She's still only supposed to be eating jello and clear liquids but ate Mac and cheese recently and kinda guiltled my sister into giving it to her (I don't live at home, sister does). So I'm worried she will see fast results and gain back. Just my thoughts.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Girl! Look at you go! While surgery is an option, you just proved to yourself you can do it without it. Way to go!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    BR527 wrote: »
    Well based on my weight yesterday, I'm about 15 pounds of being disqualified. And even if I lose it before the 3 months, I don't think I want to maintain. I want to lose more!
    u0pxjs5yawwi.png

The best kind of disqualification! :D Great job!

And yup, people can make comments and sometimes I'm not sure if I'm mad at them, or at myself for letting those (sometimes well meaning but ignorant) comments get to me. As someone said, it's a learning experience. Now you know what's possibly coming and have the tools to deal with it! Or not be surrounded by it, per some awesome advice given earlier!
  • CourtLHM
    CourtLHM Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    u0pxjs5yawwi.png

What!? You're doing awesome!!! 3 months and you're down 24lbs?! That's great!
    Keep at it and you'll getter done all on your own. You need to talk? We're all here for ya! You have questions or need to vent or anything and there's tons of people here for support!! Good luck on your journey!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    On Monday, I went to my appointment. She did answer my questions about dumping, straw drinking, and triggers that put my mind at ease. She did warn me about one thing: in order for my insurance to accept me, I can't be lower than 260 in the next three months. I still want to go to the classes to learn more stuff as well as see a therapist but she said that if I change my mind or have too much success, they'll find another non-surgical way to my goal.

As for my mom, I did feel bad not answering her phone calls. She's been trying to call the last several days but I never call her back.

Did you set boundaries with her first or are you just not calling her back? I agree with minimizing time with toxic people, but I think it's important to let them know why you are withdrawing.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    On Monday, I went to my appointment. She did answer my questions about dumping, straw drinking, and triggers that put my mind at ease. She did warn me about one thing: in order for my insurance to accept me, I can't be lower than 260 in the next three months. I still want to go to the classes to learn more stuff as well as see a therapist but she said that if I change my mind or have too much success, they'll find another non-surgical way to my goal.

As for my mom, I did feel bad not answering her phone calls. She's been trying to call the last several days but I never call her back.

Did you set boundaries with her first or are you just not calling her back? I agree with minimizing time with toxic people, but I think it's important to let them know why you are withdrawing.

:'(
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I will say that that's not always necessary. The Hubster and I have had the same issue with his sister over the years, so this last time, we just walked away. She knows why this has happened, even if she wants to pretend that she doesn't.

OP, great job! :)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I'm happy about this thread OP! Think of the other people you're inspiring to not have surgery.