Gluten free breakfast that doesn't involve eggs?

Options
Hi, I am on a gluten/dairy free diet due to allergies. I have no idea what to eat for breakfast. I don't like breakfast in general, and I'm allergic to eggs. Do you have any suggestions?

Replies

• ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Look for Cream of Rice or buckwheat groats. You can make porridge with that. Add berries, seeds, or whatever you like. Bob's Red Mill makes a bunch of gluten-free instant porridge type products.

Tofu scramble.

Fruit smoothies.

Van's waffles, pancakes.

You can eat pretty much anything you'd normally have for breakfast. There's an alternative for it at most stores now. Look for gluten-free and vegan labels on the packaging.

• californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Look for Cream of Rice or buckwheat groats. You can make porridge with that. Add berries, seeds, or whatever you like. Bob's Red Mill makes a bunch of gluten-free instant porridge type products.

Udi's bread, muffins, cinnamon rolls (lol).

Tofu scramble.

Fruit smoothies.

Van's waffles, pancakes.

You can eat pretty much anything you'd normally have for breakfast. There's an alternative for it at most stores now.

Thank you.
    I try to eat the least processed thing, but I love toast sometimes and oatmeal. I get nauseated in the morning so I like carbs. Lol
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    I had to take out the Udi's suggestion. Most of their products contain eggs.
  • californiansun
    Options
    Oh darn! I'm usually ok if it's in a baked product, but eggs (scrambled, over easy, hard boiled), will make me sicker than anything. I'm not sure why. I might give them a try anyways.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat the same thing you eat for dinner (save something from the night before).
    OR
    If you do not like breakfast, skip it. Let lunch be your first meal of the day.
  • californiansun
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Eat the same thing you eat for dinner (save something from the night before).
    OR
    If you do not like breakfast, skip it. Let lunch be your first meal of the day.

I can't eat lunch, so I eat breakfast. If I do get to eat lunch (2-3 x a week), it's always dinner left overs. Lol I'll figure something out with that.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    what about soy or non-dairy yogurts?
  • californiansun
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I really hate yogurt. The texture is disgusting. I put it in my smoothies only. This was before I found out about my dairy allergy, of course.

I try to eat a pretty heavy breakfast since I can't normally eat lunch. Yogurt doesn't do it for me. I avoid soy, so I'll try another alternative.
    Maybe I'll like it! Does non dairy yogurt have probiotics? My body doesn't produce the right amount of good bacteria, so I need them.
  • carcarxx94
    carcarxx94 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also hate yogurt but i love greek yogurt if you havent tried it ! The texture is entirely different - much thicker and creamier - I hate the texture of yogurt too. Add in some gluten free cereal or oats or granola or biscuits, some fruits, cocoa powder if you like chocolate pudding type foods, some nut butter and seeds and mix it all up ! Or try quark - fat free and tastes like light soft cheese but can use it as savoury or sweet and is packed full of protein to kick start the morning. Gluten free oats etc are certainly an option - you could also grind them to make oat flour or use coconut flour or almond flour or rice flour etc to make muffins, pancakes , waffles etc ! Or make oat bars with oats, honey, butter or nut butter, dried fruit and nuts or popcorn or dark chocolate chips etc. Make some potato hash browns and have with a meat such as bacon and some avocado and beans or lentils etc.
    Make a healthh cookie dough using blended chickpeas , nut butter, honey and chocolate chips ( or can bake it to make chickpea blondies or brownies ). Make flourless cakes such as banana oat brownies . Make shakes using fruit, nut butter or oil, milk of choice, some greens and ice ! Gluten free weetabix are great too and not overly processed. Can also make quinoa and use as you would oats so top with either sweet or savoury things. Hope this may have helped a little !!
  • californiansun
    Options
    carcarxx94 wrote: »
    I also hate yogurt but i love greek yogurt if you havent tried it ! The texture is entirely different - much thicker and creamier - I hate the texture of yogurt too. Add in some gluten free cereal or oats or granola or biscuits, some fruits, cocoa powder if you like chocolate pudding type foods, some nut butter and seeds and mix it all up ! Or try quark - fat free and tastes like light soft cheese but can use it as savoury or sweet and is packed full of protein to kick start the morning. Gluten free oats etc are certainly an option - you could also grind them to make oat flour or use coconut flour or almond flour or rice flour etc to make muffins, pancakes , waffles etc ! Or make oat bars with oats, honey, butter or nut butter, dried fruit and nuts or popcorn or dark chocolate chips etc. Make some potato hash browns and have with a meat such as bacon and some avocado and beans or lentils etc.
    Make a healthh cookie dough using blended chickpeas , nut butter, honey and chocolate chips ( or can bake it to make chickpea blondies or brownies ). Make flourless cakes such as banana oat brownies . Make shakes using fruit, nut butter or oil, milk of choice, some greens and ice ! Gluten free weetabix are great too and not overly processed. Can also make quinoa and use as you would oats so top with either sweet or savoury things. Hope this may have helped a little !!

Greek yogurt gets me too but I can handle it a little better! Thank you so much for all of these suggestions!
  • californiansun
    Options
    I would try cooking up some white rice banana honey soy milk and pumpkin seedsm really yummy. Kinda like porridge..
    Great idea, thanks!
  • malish23
    malish23 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Tofu scramble.

Fruit smoothies.

Van's waffles, pancakes.

You can eat pretty much anything you'd normally have for breakfast. There's an alternative for it at most stores now.

Thank you.
    I try to eat the least processed thing, but I love toast sometimes and oatmeal. I get nauseated in the morning so I like carbs. Lol

Udi's bread is the best if you like toast. I tried other brands including brown rice bread and they all were locking taste and crunch, but udi's so far my favorite
  • californiansun
    Options
    malish23 wrote: »

Tofu scramble.

Fruit smoothies.

Van's waffles, pancakes.

Thank you.

Udi's bread is the best if you like toast. I tried other brands including brown rice bread and they all were locking taste and crunch, but udi's so far my favorite

I will give it a go! Thank you.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    malish23 wrote: »

Tofu scramble.

Fruit smoothies.

Van's waffles, pancakes.

Thank you.

Have you tried Schar? We actually like their bread better for toast and sandwiches, but like Udi's as well. Schar also has an amazing line of rolls, baguettes, etc.
  • esn222
    esn222 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My fave gf breakfasts are chia seed puddings (like dessert for breakfast), a slice of gf toast with 1/4 avocado, onion and smoked salmon, peanut butter banana smoothies and overnight oats - so many options.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Cottage cheese, Kind GF granola, and fruit.
    Toast with almond or peanut butter
    Various GF Chex cereal with milk or yogurt (if your only problem with yogurt is texture, this makes it feel much different)
    Cheesy grits
    Oatmeal
    I am allergic to egg yolks, so I can also have egg white omelets. Have you tried just the whites? It may be worth a try if you haven't.

Edit to add: enjoy life bars are a good snack that is free of the 8 most common allergens. They aren't a whole meal, but they keep from getting too hungry in a pinch.
  • zoe6724
    zoe6724 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    An apple with peanut butter and flax meal hot cereal, flavored with any sweetener plus some dried fruit, nuts, etc
  • freddythefluffy
    freddythefluffy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    +1 to the gluten free bread with avocado... or just avocado by itself or with a couple chia seeds
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Bacon and mushrooms.... Mmmmmm
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Bacon and mushrooms.... Mmmmmm

with a side of steak!