Strong curves

Options
Hi,
I decided to skip bbg and try out heavy lifting. Was going through all the programmes recommended and strong curves looks my kinda thing. Just wanted to know if anyone has done it and the results it has yielded. I need to knock off around 20-25 pounds and my main problem area is my upper body. Is this programme more glutes oriented or will it give results overall????
Many thanks in advance

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I decided to skip bbg and try out heavy lifting. Was going through all the programmes recommended and strong curves looks my kinda thing. Just wanted to know if anyone has done it and the results it has yielded. I need to knock off around 20-25 pounds and my main problem area is my upper body. Is this programme more glutes oriented or will it give results overall????
    Many thanks in advance

This is a glute-centric program, though I think there are templates that have upper body work as well. Knocking off 20-25lbs is just going to come from a straight calorie deficit anyway. The compound lifts in the program, especially coupled with the upper body work, should be fine for helping to maintain lean body mass as you lose.

I personally think this program yields more "results" in maintenance or a surplus, just being that many women use it to grow their glutes. Regardless, it's a heavy lifting program and you will benefit from it in a deficit for sure. The results will be-lose fat and maintain lean body mass, which will give you a more defined look as you reach your goal weight and a better body composition.

I have done some of the glute work from this program, but in a surplus. So I gained about 2-3 inches on my hips. I might not be the best person to ask about results since you're doing it in a deficit.
  • carrie197618
    carrie197618 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thank u so much for your reply. So can you please recommend me another programme to do while being in a deficit ??
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thank u so much for your reply. So can you please recommend me another programme to do while being in a deficit ??

You can do strong curves in a deficit! Especially if you like how it looks! I personally would choose something like Strong Lifts 5x5 which is a 3x per week full body workout focusing on the compound lifts. But ultimately they are both heavy lifting programs with the progressive overload you need, so I would pick that one that calls to you most. If you look up strong lifts the website has the whole program outlined for you, with videos on the lifts, and an app you can download on your phone to keep track of your workouts. It will even tell you how much weight to lift each workout.
  • carrie197618
    Options
    Ok will take another look at strong lifts. Also will take a look at all pro..heard it s good too
    Thanks once again
  • arditarose
    Options
    Ok will take another look at strong lifts. Also will take a look at all pro..heard it s good too
    Thanks once again

Yeah, that one is good too. Was going to recommend it. The whole routine is up online as well. Regardless of what you choose, happy you decided not to go with bbg :)
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I just did 10 weeks in on a slightly modified version of Strong Curves. I'd say its very glutes/lower body oriented. I was unhappy with how little upper body work was in it, so my modifications were mostly to add that in.

I was doing the 4-day a week full body routine. The majority of the time, you end up hip thrusting/glute bridging all 4 days and as my hip thrusts got heavier, I had a hard time recovering between workouts toward the end (in a deficit). Pluses were that I'm super happy with the (booty) results and I absolutely love some of the glute exercises in his program (which I never would have learned otherwise).

If your upper body is your problem area in that you want to add muscle there, I wouldn't do Strong Curves. The effort/reward ratio would be much better with a more balanced program.
  • carrie197618
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.love this forum...so many helpful people which is such a blessing for a newcomer
    So anyways am looking into all pro routine and another one on simply shredded. I know strong lifts is really awesome...I just feel I might get little bored with it so am looking for options. I am so tired with this never ending battle of the bulge...hope I can overcome it this time
    Thanks again
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Pick whatever program appeals to you while you cut. Any well-written program will have the same general compound exercises at its core and then may or may not have other assistance or accessory exercises. All Pro's is a good program. If you like it, try it.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I did Strong Curves first. On a deficit. Body weight or very low resistance with all the work. I did it more as timed circuits. I didn't run it as prescribed. But I did take time to learn each move slowly and correctly.

Then I did SL as prescribed but still on a deficit/maintenance. I gained power.

Now, I have a go to workout combining the two. With the main lifts being SL with Hip Thrusts (HT at the weight of row or deadlift).

I like that Strong Curves incorporates frontal or lateral moves with various lunges and step-ups as well as posterior chain work. This helps with my mobility.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Also strong curves made me appreciate upper body rotational moves that helps my core strength/muscle. My lats and back look much better too.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.love this forum...so many helpful people which is such a blessing for a newcomer
    So anyways am looking into all pro routine and another one on simply shredded. I know strong lifts is really awesome...I just feel I might get little bored with it so am looking for options. I am so tired with this never ending battle of the bulge...hope I can overcome it this time
    Thanks again

If you think you'll be bored with SL you could try Ice Cream Fitness. It's basically SL with accessory work. If I may say, SL is not as boring as it looks because you are adding weight EVERY workout. It's definitely challenging enough.
  • carrie197618
    Options

Thank you once again everyone. I have decided to take a personal trainer for few weeks so that he can correct my form. I have made sure that I am gonna lift heavy so he better not give me that cardio is better for fat loss crap but he is all for heavy lifting so that should be good..will follow his programme and after will start strong lifts or ice cream fitness
    Thanks once again
  • Ioana_Dumi
    Ioana_Dumi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been following Goddess Toning Program for a few weeks and have gotten great results (trying to gain) but did get bored with it, even though I added weight weekly and saw good progress.
    So I moved on to Strong Curves and decided to start with the beginner phase and add weight where was needed. So far so good :) I cannot comment on results just yet, but I do like the structure of Strong Curves, the fact that it changes a bit every 4 weeks and that Bret explains how to modify the template to suit your own needs (eg: add more upper body).
    It's great that you got a trainer to show you proper form! Good luck! :)
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Thank you once again everyone. I have decided to take a personal trainer for few weeks so that he can correct my form. I have made sure that I am gonna lift heavy so he better not give me that cardio is better for fat loss crap but he is all for heavy lifting so that should be good..will follow his programme and after will start strong lifts or ice cream fitness
    Thanks once again

I'd recommend telling him which program you think you will go with so he can make sure his program will prepare you for doing those lifts on your own.
  • carrie197618
    Options
    Yes I definitely plan to tell him else he might just make me do a body pump kind of a thing ..will meet him on Monday and before starting our session will have a talk and tell him everything in details
    Thanks
  • carrie197618
    Options
    Hi again,
    Just an update...met my trainer and he was very nice and is well qualified. I asked him about the programme and he feels at this point of time I should either do the all pro or the http://cdn.simplyshredded.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/111.png
    What do you guys feel???