Shakeology

Options
2»

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Full of added vitamins. Better: A glass of low fat milk and a multi vitamin. Just google the label.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    What really blows my mind about Shakeology is the way they flog these "clean eating challenges" and are all anti-processed food - erm... what on earth is MORE processed than a meal replacement shake??
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    What really blows my mind about Shakeology is the way they flog these "clean eating challenges" and are all anti-processed food - erm... what on earth is MORE processed than a meal replacement shake??

wink wink
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    From Alan Aragon

"I regularly get questions about this or that MLM product, whether it be Advocare, Herbalife, Visalus, Isagenix, or Whateverthehell. I am yet to come across a health/nutrition-related MLM company that doesn't economize production costs with sub-par nutritional formulations, especially the protein-containing products (for example, MLMs love to use soy as the first ingredient or fructose as the second ingredient). Adding insult to injury, these protein-based products cost at least double that of the leading non-MLM brands that actually use higher-quality protein formulations. To top it all off, these mediocre MLM products are hyped as the best things on the market, and of course they rely on the emotional triggers of zealous testimonials rather than the weight of the scientific evidence. So yeah, my opinion of MLM-based nutritional products is LOL (yes, let the hurt flow through your butt over that)"
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Just because a product is sold thru MLM doesn't make if bad. Tupperware and Avon are MLMs snd they're great products. I happen to a Shakeology user too (dont sell it). I like to add banana or Bertie's, cinnamon, nutmeg.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It is too bad it gets such a bad rap, I personally think it is a great product and it has improved my digestion greatly. There are a couple of reasons why I like it: It includes adaptagens (Google it if you are not familiar with them) which I have had a lot of success with, a probiotic, and digestive enzymes. Now I don't need to remember to take all of those other supplements. Also, I feel great and my skin looks great. It fills me up and tastes great.

If you got a free bag that is a great gift! Enjoy! And no, I don't sell it, I avoid MLM like the plague.
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    It is too bad it gets such a bad rap, I personally think it is a great product and it has improved my digestion greatly. There are a couple of reasons why I like it: It includes adaptagens (Google it if you are not familiar with them) which I have had a lot of success with, a probiotic, and digestive enzymes. Now I don't need to remember to take all of those other supplements. Also, I feel great and my skin looks great. It fills me up and tastes great.

If you got a free bag that is a great gift! Enjoy! And no, I don't sell it, I avoid MLM like the plague.

I am sorry. It is nothing special. I think it is great you love it though.
  • Wetcoaster
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I googled it..... adaptagens

The term originated in Russia and most of the studies done were in Soviet Russia and its allied countries, and the methodology is questionable. There have been no modern studies to corroborate the action or even the existence of adaptogens. If it has a non-specific action, it is difficult to test and probably has little clinical relevance.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    From Alan Aragon

"I regularly get questions about this or that MLM product, whether it be Advocare, Herbalife, Visalus, Isagenix, or Whateverthehell. I am yet to come across a health/nutrition-related MLM company that doesn't economize production costs with sub-par nutritional formulations, especially the protein-containing products (for example, MLMs love to use soy as the first ingredient or fructose as the second ingredient). Adding insult to injury, these protein-based products cost at least double that of the leading non-MLM brands that actually use higher-quality protein formulations. To top it all off, these mediocre MLM products are hyped as the best things on the market, and of course they rely on the emotional triggers of zealous testimonials rather than the weight of the scientific evidence. So yeah, my opinion of MLM-based nutritional products is LOL (yes, let the hurt flow through your butt over that)"

...and sure enough, if you look at the label for Snakeoilogy, it lists a "proprietary blend" of protein (which means they don't have to tell you how much of each ingredient they used), with whey, pea and rice protein. Whey is a complete protein with a perfect PDCAAS rating (Protein Digestibility - Corrected Amino Acid Score, which is based upon the amino acid requirements of humans and the body's ability to digest it). Pea and sprouted brown rice protein (the other two sources in their "proprietary blend") have much poorer PDCAAS ratings and aren't complete proteins. High-quality (non-vegan) protein powders use primarily whey, casein and egg protein, all of which have perfect PDCAAS ratings and are complete proteins. Unless one is a vegan, there's no sensible reason to use a product which is both more expensive and inferior in quality to other available protein powders - and a vegan wouldn't use it because it contains whey protein, so who's left?

Beachbody also makes various claims on the label about their product controlling blood pressure, detoxing the liver, kidneys and blood, alkalizing the body, balancing the endocrine system, etc. - and of course, down at the bottom in tiny print is the disclaimer "These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.". But since supplements aren't regulated and they have the disclaimer in place, they can make any ridiculous claims they want (such as they did up above) on the label. It controls blood pressure and balances the endocrine system? You mean like prescription medications (which are regulated by the FDA) are supposed to do?

"Superfoods" - as soon as you see that jargon on a label, it immediately means "woo". There is no such thing as a "superfood", it's a made-up marketing jargon phrase. In fact, the European Union has banned the use of the term in marketing unless there are "specific medical claims which are supported by credible scientific research" (good luck with that!). Sure sounds all secret and mysterious when they say, "Beachbody searched the world to find ancient and exotic superfoods simply not available in your local supermarket." I'll echo Alan Aragon's sentiment that "my opinion of MLM-based nutritional products is LOL." There are far better products available for less money. If you want a meal replacement shake, throw a banana and some walnuts (or some greens or whatever) in your protein shake and let it rip. It'll still be better and cheaper than Snakeoilogy.
  • carolyn000000
    carolyn000000 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Adaptagens- You have to look at published clinical trials that use a control and are reproducible, not Wikipedia http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.324.8921

They were prescribed to me by an alternative medicine doctor. All I am saying is they work for me, especially ashwaganda.
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    Adaptagens- You have to look at published clinical trials that use a control and are reproducible, not Wikipedia http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.324.8921

They were prescribed to me by an alternative medicine doctor. All I am saying is they work for me, especially ashwaganda.

I dont see a peer reviewed clinical trial. Never even seen that site before.
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    Looking more closely......it is a scam review.
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    [trol and are reproducible, not Wikipedia http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/summary?doi=10.1.1.324.8921

[/quote]

Nuff said

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

Perhaps you should see a real docor rather than a quack

• DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Or at least someone who believes in germs. Apparently Ayurvedic medicine doesn't believe in germ theory? My Indian doctor friends have nothing kind to say about Ayurvedic medicine for that reason alone.
  • the_fit_chef
    the_fit_chef Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I don't pretend to be an expert. I'm putting its ingredients (whatever they may be) in my body and I know that it helps me get through my day. I'm less bloated. I have more clarity. Less cravings. It's the only shake, of the nearly dozen that I've tried, that actually tastes good to me. I can handle 4 bucks a serving if it means feeling that good and enjoying it while I drink it.
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    The first thing people get wrong about Shakeo is they think it's a protein shake when in fact it's meant to be a health shake.
    I drink it everyday.
    My favourite way to prepare it is with unsweetened almond milk and a frozen banana blended until smooth.

Full of "superfoods"?

• kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses and copy/pastes from the other shakeology inquiry post. Wish i had seen that the day before. As I said above a received the 2+lb bag for free from my boss, who is now using a different product. I'm not a protein powder user, but I do love free stuff! My BF, who is going into a cut soon, was really excited to see that I brought home protein powder; he had a cute little bro-out sesh. He'd never heard of shakeology before, either.
    We're going to try it as a pre or post workout snack, and if I really like what I see i'll probably invest in some of the less costly whey protein powder. I'm not anticipating miracles from any powdered substance.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    The sellers try to come on here and sell it all the time. It's basically a low quality protein powder. It won't harm you at all but it won't do much for you either.
    +1
    It's a low quality "proprietary" (meaning they don't have to tell you exactly what's in it and at what amounts) protein powder... All it will do is shrink your bank account....
  • Natural_is_better
    Natural_is_better Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    kmsoucy457 wrote: »
    This morning one of my co-workers kindly gifted me a bag of Shakeology Strawberry!
    I've never used the stuff, and tend to shy away from packaged protein powders, but these ingredients seem to line up with my nutritional goals. For those of you familiar with the product: what are your favorite recipes? I'll take any calorie count from snack-sized to meal replacement (for me the latter is about 400-600 cals).
    I do make my own smoothies a couple times per week with everything from kale to berries to ground flax, and I own a digital scale, so feel free to get specific.

It is not a meal replacement it is an herbal supplement disguised as the "healthiest meal of the day"

These were some side effects or reactions I felt.
    1.hormonal disturbances in body and mind(including paralyzing monthly cycles) hot flashes I am 30 years old and strange rage)
    2. ringing in the years
    3. weight gain
    4.inflammation
    5.digestive problems
    6. Colds and Throat infections that lasted weeks each time
    7.headaches
    8.extreme fatigue
    9.fast heart beating
    10. extreme exaggerated bruising

Here is La Leche League's breakdown of Shakeology.

I believe what happened with me is that my blood glucose levels and blood pressure were too low as well as blood clotting issues.

http://wiki.lllvawv.org/Shakeology

Good luck to you!!
  • Jess102979
    Jess102979 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've tried several different flavors and have even tweeked them, I can't stand the taste!! No thanks, it's too expensive for me!! I'll stick with my special k.