Workout Procrastination

Options
GoMom2016
GoMom2016 Posts: 41 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone! Just wondering how you all got your butts in gear and started working out?? I have 2 young boys in activities, I work full time, plus we run our own small business! I feel so busy with life that I just have no desire to workout! By the time the day is done and my boys are asleep, I just want to sit down and have quiet time to myself. Even if I had some extra time during the day, I can find a million other things around the house to get done! And I won't even consider an early morning start! I am not a morning "go get'er" person!!!!! I KNOW working out is not a priority which is why I KNOW I don't find time to do it. I just don't know how to change that mindset!!! Bonus though is that the snow is gone now and my boys and I love walks and bike rides. Slowwwwww bike rides, but it's still movement!!!

Replies

• loldiz
    loldiz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The best tip I ever got was just to commit yourself to 10 mins. Get outside, get warmed up and do ten minutes. If after that you want to stop then at least you tried. I have never felt like stopping after doing the ten minutes.
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Stopped making excuses and made it a priority. I scheduled it and paid extra for it so if I skip I'm hurting myself physically and financially. Basically, I had to suck it up. And then I found I enjoyed it and started looking forward to it.

So...find your "it." Some sort of workout that challenges you and keeps you coming back. I don't love my workout every time I go...but I love that I do it, I love how I feel after, I love the changes in my body.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    GoMom2016 wrote: »
    I KNOW working out is not a priority

You'll have to elevate the priority level to reap the benefits that you want. :+1:
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Have a goal and do what it takes to meet that goal. And as @Cherimoose says, when it's a priority it's easy to find the time.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    My two cents. You either want to train or you don't. If you want to train, you'll make it a priority. There's no sense in making yourself miserable.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I KNOW working out is not a priority

You'll have to elevate the priority level to reap the benefits that you want. :+1:

This ^. How much non=work screen time (TV, video games, social media, etc does the OP have a week? I bet if you look at these non-productive minutes/hours you will find time to workout.

The POTUS works out 6 days a week, seriously doubt more people are busier than he is:
    http://healthyceleb.com/barack-obama-fitness-routine-and-diet-plan/10467

Best of luck.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Hmm, excuses, excuses. So, take the easy way out and don't do anything about getting healthy. Your choice.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Honestly; you probably won't make the change until being where you are at is so uncomfortable (mentally and or physically) that you are willing to make the lifestyle changes that being healthy requires. For starters, try reframing your thinking...working out isn't a priority for you, but what about taking care of yourself as a woman, mother, and a wife? I have lost over 30 lbs and kept it off for 5+ years and now view exercise as part of my necessary daily routine, much like brushing my teeth. Your goals have to be bigger than your excuses. :)
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You already have your answer when you said you haven't made it a priority. There could be all the time in the world and there will still be room for excuses. My advice is find an activity that you enjoy and look forward to and make it a habit. You are on the right start with biking with your kids.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Up at 330am and under the bar at 430am. No excuses. I can either train, or surrender to old age and infirmity.
  • joolie1234
    joolie1234 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yup, you have to make the commitment and stick to it. A couple of years ago my new years resolution was to exercise 5x/week, NO EXCUSES. On days when I was "too" busy with work and kids stuff, I had to say out loud to myself "NO excuses!" - suit up, hit the treadmill at 8 pm if I had to. There's always something else we could be doing - if this is important to you, you'll make the time.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    While I agree with the "just do it" advice given by the previous posters, a strict, regimented workout routine isn't necessary if you lead an active lifestyle already, which it sounds like you do. I'd start with what you said: get out often with your boys and ride bikes or hike.

There will always be things to do around the house, so schedule what you'll do when (and delegate as much as you can to your spouse and kids!) and leave a few evenings open so that when the kids go to bed and yes, you're tired, just make yourself walk in place or do a few body weight exercises for 10 min. After a short while you'll notice the benefits and will add on.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I have 2 young boys in activities, I work full time, plus we run our own small business! I feel so busy with life that I just have no desire to workout! By the time the day is done and my boys are asleep, I just want to sit down and have quiet time to myself.

Some ideas...
    Could you go for a walk on your lunch at your full time job? And short walks on your breaks?
    When you take the boys to activities (i.e., soccer practice) could you go walking while they are at practice?
    Go walking or hop on a stationary bike or some such when you need to make phonecalls for the small business?
    Take the boys to parks or go hiking on the weekends with them to combine family time with active time?

Most of my "activity" on a weekly basis is walking. I find it the easiest to squeeze in. That said, you don't NEED to work out to lose weight, I am just making suggestions since it sounds like you WANT to workout.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    My workout routine happens while my son is at his activities (boxing or football). Drop him off and head to the gym, five nights a week. This works best for me.
  • GoMom2016
    GoMom2016 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the advice. I do lead a very busy life and I think I've figured out the problem/hesitation with the idea of working out is. I'm definitely not lazy, but what I'm thinking in my head is that I have to do a daily "real" workout, weights, cardio, hard stuff! That's the kind of stuff I struggle with making a priority. Going for walks and bike rides with my kids is what I love to do and find "fun". I almost think that if I don't give it my all for daily workout sessions, that that's a fail, and then I give up! My kids are still little so I can't leave them at their activities but I'm usually running the soccer field or swimming with them. Maybe if I don't put so much pressure on the idea of having to do "hard core workouts", even walking on the treadmill we become more enjoyable.