Breakfast foods?

Options
piepdx
piepdx Posts: 17 Member
Hey pals! I'm looking for ideas/suggestions/guidance!

I'm struggling with breakfast choices, and here's why:
1) I'm trying to keep it lowlow carb/fat
2) I am not a fan of anything sweet (on occasion is fine)
3) I usually need to eat it on the go

I've done the eggs/bacon "muffin" thing and similar ideas, but it's starting to get tired, so now I want to try and keep things interesting.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Cutting out two of the three macro-nutrients is pretty much going to make things very difficult...

Egg whites.
  • piepdx
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Cutting out two of the three macro-nutrients is pretty much going to make things very difficult...

Egg whites.

Yeah, you're telling me! :|
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    piepdx wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Egg whites.

Yeah, you're telling me! :|

Why are you trying to do both low carb and low fat...it's generally one or the other, not both. Doing both you're pretty much restricting yourself to really, a minimal amount of variety for any meal.

Carbs aren't inherently bad and neither is fat...of the two, fat is the more essential macro-nutrient...you need it to absorb certain vitamins and I certain amount of dietary fat is just necessary for your body to function in general.

Personally, I'd rethink your position and that will open up a lot more options.
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not the enemy. If you want to over-restrict then just eat egg whites, greek yogurt and protein powders. Otherwise, find a balanced breakfast that you enjoy that will fuel your body properly.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    yeah, limiting fat and carbs is not the solution. If you aren't a sweet lover, limit carbs, but not fat.

As far as what to eat, it doesn't have to be traditional breakfast food. Eat what you like, that's part of the joy of being an adult. :)

Spaghetti? Sushi? Chicken wings? Why yes, that sounds good.
  • piepdx
    Options
    Thank you! This is why I'm reaching out, to get better informed! ...without getting lengthy, I've just received a lot of conflicting information from way too many sources. I have been recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, so I guess that plays a role in it. I sat with a nutrition counselor who (I felt) didn't really go over the types of foods I should be aiming for; she basically said "eat better."

Wellll.......... I'm a bad decision maker. I appreciate the feedback, dudes! :):)
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    As a diabetic, you do need carbs, just not 400 g of them a day. My mom has diabetes, and is supposed to have 45 net carbs per meal. That's 2 pieces of bread and 1 cup of milk, or 1 serving of rice, a serving of yogurt, or 1 piece of fruit ( not bananas). The higher fiber you have with your carbs the better - so high fiber whole wheat bread is better than white, because you can subtract the fiber grams from your carbs to get a lower net carb. White rice, white potatoes should be switched with brown rice and sweet potatoes, then it won't spike your blood sugar so much.

You need to go to a dietician or to another diabetes educator and ask what you should eat/not eat. Portion control is important too. My mom used to make spaghetti and thought 1 serving was an entire dinner plate full. It's 1/2 cup.
  • hgnatovskyi
    hgnatovskyi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, do not cut your carbs too much if you're a type 2. Especially if you're on an insulin or oral diabetic drug. It can put your body into diabetic ketoacidosis which is extremely dangerous. I would advise talking to your doctor or a nutritionist on what you need to eat to also lose weight. But carbs are a must for diabetics!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Yes, do not cut your carbs too much if you're a type 2. But carbs are a must for diabetics!

No, that's the opposite of true fax.

That's why (too many, for too long) she has it in the first place.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Yes, do not cut your carbs too much if you're a type 2. But carbs are a must for diabetics!

Not quite. Yes, diabetes is caused by not caring about sugar intake and carb intake and eating way too many of them. (That's why I don't understand people who don't care about their carb intake or sugar intake, just because they don't have diabetes. If they cut them down to a reasonable amount before they have it, they probably won't get diabetes, but I digress). Even with diabetes, you have to have some carbs. You need to eat more complex carbs and in relatively smaller amounts (45 per meal avg). This keeps your blood sugars more even and with complex carbs, keeps it from spiking too severely.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    tamicoil1 wrote: »

Not quite. Yes, diabetes is caused by not caring about sugar intake and carb intake and eating way too many of them. (That's why I don't understand people who don't care about their carb intake or sugar intake, just because they don't have diabetes. If they cut them down to a reasonable amount before they have it, they probably won't get diabetes, but I digress). Even with diabetes, you have to have some carbs. You need to eat more complex carbs and in relatively smaller amounts (45 per meal avg). This keeps your blood sugars more even and with complex carbs, keeps it from spiking too severely.

Sugar and carbs DO NOT cause diabetes.