Tracking exercise vs Fitbit adjustment

Options
I never really put exercise in since the Fitbit gives me calories for steps. I know I should but let's say that I do Zumba and get the steps for it. When I was putting the exercise in on MFP it felt like I was double dipping. How do you all handle tracking exercise?
We will be putting down 40 bags of mulch and pulling weeds today so I know that should burn some calories. Should I just take the Fitbit adjustment or add to MFP?

Replies

• ratzlofft
    ratzlofft Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been taking my Fitbit off during exercise and only heart monitor for burned calories, it is more accurate.

Compare "add exercise" to your Fitbit. Which is more accurate? If you can borrow HR monitor you can get baseline numbers. For me, I know that my workouts are always at least 10 calls per minute. So if don't keep track on any equipment I go by that.

Have fun!
  • ratzlofft
    ratzlofft Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Also, if I am not getting my steps for the day. I will warmup for 10 min on the treadmill and keep Fitbit on for that.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I guess it would depend which Fitbit you have. I have the Fitbit Charge HR so it is constantly monitoring my heart rate so I would go by the fitbit adjustment because it will give you more calories burned when your heart rate is up due to the lifting of the mulch bags ETC. Hope this helps!
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    log your exercise into the fitbit, that way it can look at your steps vs the exercise you're inputting and make up the difference. If you put it directly into MFP it won't be nearly as accurate.
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Not sure if they work in the same way but I have a garmin forerunner25, I use a HRM and only log exercise on garmin connect that way the garmin is in control of the calories burned and can adjust accordingly. I usually get somewhere between 50 and -50 adjustment.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't log exercise in MFP. I just go by my fitbit adjustment. I have a Charge HR and it's pretty accurate. I've tested it against my Polar FT4 and it's pretty much the same. MFP says I burn almost 400 calories for a 45 min elliptical workout. Fitbit says 275.

MFP's caloire estimates are way off.
  • Lydilod
    Lydilod Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Lydilod wrote: »
    Not sure if they work in the same way but I have a garmin forerunner25, I use a HRM and only log exercise on garmin connect that way the garmin is in control of the calories burned and can adjust accordingly. I usually get somewhere between 50 and -50 adjustment.

Forget to say, I also get calories allocated to my exercise.