Rabbit recipes?

Options
NH_Norma
NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
Hi! I am trying different foods to keep my taste buds interested. :)
Yesterday I purchased a frozen whole rabbit but turns out I have no idea what to do with it! Any recipe suggestions? Can I cook it right from frozen (preferred)?
Thanks!!

Replies

• abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    no you cannot cook it form frozen - defrost it first.
    Roasted in the oven with vegetables / potatoes, marinated in red wine, herbs, onions, carrots and celery and eventually slow cooked, slow cooked in a reach tomato sauce till the meat peels off the bone and you make a ragout with it.... carried and loads of ways. Google for recipes or alternatively look for "recettes lapin" and translate from french.
  • GMAC2016
    GMAC2016 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Any way you would do braised chicken. It's super lean and though so it may need some added fat.

My favorite, and this may not work depending on your meal plan, is to boil it, remove the meat from the bones, fry up onions and mushrooms and then add the rabbit back in. But it's pretty high in fat that way since I use a good amount of butter. So it may not be what you are looking for but it's awfully good.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My dad and brother rabbit hunt. Not sure if farm-raised rabbit is the same or not, but here's what we do. Parboil the rabbit whole. Quarter it , season and cook in a very hot cast iron skillet with a little butter until nicely browned and crispy on both sides. It's very tasty!
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Rabbit is very tasty... but be careful of the bones...They are very sharp...
  • NH_Norma
    Options
    These all sound so good, thank you! Can't wait to try it (after my venison stew is gone...I love venison!). ;)
  • NH_Norma
    Options
    130annie wrote: »
    Rabbit is very tasty... but be careful of the bones...They are very sharp...
    Good to know, thank you!
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Why has the OP been flagged for abuse?! :D
  • NH_Norma
    Options
    I wondered the same.
  • chsberthelot
    chsberthelot Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Quarter it up lightly coat with flour. brown really well on both sides in a black iron skillet or pot , take meat out and saute onions bell pepper, mushrooms while scraping bottom of pan. Add water about 2 cups (At this point you can add a gravy packet if you want). But you don't have to. Put rabbit back in the gravy and cook until meat falling off bone .
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I removed that. I'm sure some people keep rabbits as pets and view them as something similar to dogs or cats. It is legal to eat rabbits, just like it's legal to raise chickens or pigs or cows for consumption.

I personally have never had rabbit. I hear roasted is very good.
  • NH_Norma
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

I removed that.

I personally have never had rabbit. I hear roasted is very good.

Thanks! The guys at the store said it has a richer flavor than chicken (whatever that means, lol)