Burn more calories in less time!

Options
JonathanKibble
JonathanKibble Posts: 6 Member
edited April 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
High intensity interval training or HIIT, has received much attention in the press recently due to its ability to produce benefits similar to or better than normal (steady state cardiovascular exercise) (SSE)) in less time. HIIT is a method where a period of high intensity effort (usually maximal) is followed by a rest period and then repeated a number of times. The steady state continuous model is where a slower, manageable, sub maximal pace is performed for a long period of time.

A recent article from Herodek et al. (2014) states that if the general goal of a person is to lose fat mass, then HIIT (along with diet and weight training) is a much more effective option than the traditional SSE model. Even a regime of the ever more popular ‘Tabata’ training (Tabata et al., 1996), that consists of 4 minute bouts of exercise at a time, can have profound impacts on reducing fat mass and other health based outcomes. This presents a more efficient method of improving the health of the population compared to long durations exercising at low intensity. Trapp et al. (2008) found that a 15 week training period of HIIT decreased total body mass, fat mass and fasting insulin levels; an SSE group did not show any significant changes.

HIIT induces excess post exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC). In simple terms, your breathing rate is increased and therefore your metabolism is too. As you have been exercising at a pace you cannot maintain and the rest between intervals has been too short for full recovery, your body is forced to recover post exercise. This rise in metabolism can last up to 2 days!

There are many other benefits of doing high intensity interval training over steady state. You could be done with your cardio in as little 4 minutes and have the rest of the workout to concentrate on other things that can also increase your metabolism! But as always do what you enjoy!

Try a 300m row as fast as possible with 1 minute complete rest afterwards. Do this 4 - 6 times! Or another one, 20 seconds max sprint on a bike with 10 seconds rest, do this 8 times. This will take 4 minutes and is called Tabata training!

Let me know how you get on and have fun!

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    HIIT isn't suitable for everyone's goals or current fitness levels.
    HIIT calorie burns are actually pretty small - the duration just isn't there.

BTW - Most kinds of exercise results in EPOC - a small percentage of a very small number is insignificant.

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    The best way to burn calories is to find something you enjoy that you'll keep doing. In other words, the answer is different for every individual. What works for me just might not work for someone else and you know what, that's okay.
  • JonathanKibble
    Options
    Where did you copy and paste that from?

My dissertation on the subject haha!

• JonathanKibble
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

BTW - Most kinds of exercise results in EPOC - a small percentage of a very small number is insignificant.

I believe it's suitable for most people who want to lose fat mass, the intensity in which they exercise will just be reduced a little.

The calorie burn during exercise is small but it has been shown to have a noticeable effect post exercise.

Agreed most decently intense exercise exercise results in EPOC, only intense protocols have been shown for it to amount to a high enough number to have an effect though!

• JonathanKibble
    Options
    The best way to burn calories is to find something you enjoy that you'll keep doing. In other words, the answer is different for every individual. What works for me just might not work for someone else and you know what, that's okay.

Definitely I agree do what you enjoy! Just thought I'd try post some interesting info on a way people may like to try :)

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Marketing degree presumably?
  • JonathanKibble
    Options

Sport and exercise science!

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    HIIT also has a much higher recovery component that can bring about potential concerns since that recovery can impact someone's ability to resistance train.

HIIT also isn't necessarily suitable for certain groups of people. I don't think I'd have a beginner with obesity doing HIIT.

As usual, it's important to match the training modality with the individual.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I believe it's suitable for most people who want to lose fat mass, the intensity in which they exercise will just be reduced a little.

The calorie burn during exercise is small but it has been shown to have a noticeable effect post exercise.

Agreed most decently intense exercise exercise results in EPOC, only intense protocols have been shown for it to amount to a high enough number to have an effect though!

Noticeable and significant are two different things.
    Using numbers from Lyle McDonald's experiment and assuming someone is actually fit enough to do 30 mins of HIIT (very doubtful).

Steady state:
    30 minutes = 300 calories + 7% EPOC = 21 calories = 321 calories.
    HIIT
    30 minute interval session = 300 calories + 14% EPOC = 42 calories = 342 calories.

21 calories IMHO isn't significant.

If someone really wants to maximise their calorie burn then they should exercise at the highest intensity they can sustain for the time they have available. Think one hour time trial on a bike as an extreme example.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

He's just here to promote his YouTube videos in other threads.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Wow, that entire post smacked of advertising.

HIIT isn't for everyone.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Most people don't even do HIIT right, there should be some barfing involved ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think that most sedentary people would benefit from an increase in LISS cardio, simply because it gets them up and moving more. I'm talking something like walking or swimming or easy biking and the benefit, to me, would be more in the arena of overall wellness/fitness, not necessarily fat burning. I have nothing against HIIT or anything but I try not to view activity as just--how much fat does this burn?

• MeanderingMammal
    Options

Sport and exercise science!

So you'll appreciate that whilst HIIT has a place it's not the only approach, and as observed upthread it's both inappropriate for many and probably beyond the reach of most, particularly those whose priority is fat loss rather than performance improvement?

Or are you just jumping on the HIIT bandwagon as a method to sell your circuit training classes to clients? Pitch the benefits of one thing to people, then sell them something else?

I'd suggest spending some time reviewing the discussion forums rather than just jumping straight in and trying to pimp your personal training business.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

He's just here to promote his YouTube videos in other threads.

He's pimping a personal training business, so the majority of posts so far have been spam essentially.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Sounds like..try this pill..try this new fad..try this new diet..maybe for people who are already "fit"? I would say..find something you "like" enough to see results and will stick with it..then modify it as you go.
    Everyone is different.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

oof. Son, you need to give your degree back.
  • JonathanKibble
    Options
    Don't think ill be posting on any forums again! Didn't realise how much hate this would get! Was only trying to give some interesting info on some findings! Of course everyone is different and yes exercise doing what you enjoy.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I think that most sedentary people would benefit from an increase in LISS cardio, simply because it gets them up and moving more. I'm talking something like walking or swimming or easy biking and the benefit, to me, would be more in the arena of overall wellness/fitness, not necessarily fat burning. I have nothing against HIIT or anything but I try not to view activity as just--how much fat does this burn?

Longer periods of steady state cardio also keep me out of the kitchen longer, which keeps me from snaking before dinner.

15 minute finishers with a barbell were fun and killed me, but I found an hour in the elliptical much more effective for long term weight loss.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    This isn't new...Also, if you keep reading on Tabata most of the reviews indicate that people are not really exerting the necessary 170% needed o get the effect....so really for the average person it just isn't the ideal program...