Homemade Yogurt Nutritional Info?

Options
The nutritional info in the database for homemade yogurt varies significantly. Any ideas on the closest approximation for homemade yogurt? Should it really vary significantly from the nutritional info of the milk that it comes from, since the two ingredients are basically milk and a small amount of yogurt starter?

Replies

• chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Create your own recipe and weigh the whole recipe out at the end in grams or ounces. Then create a custom food with the weight you just measured as the serving size and the same macros that the recipe has and you can use that custom food from here on out and eat however much you want/need from the custom food.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    chelseafxx wrote: »
    Create your own recipe and weigh the whole recipe out at the end in grams or ounces. Then create a custom food with the weight you just measured as the serving size and the same macros that the recipe has and you can use that custom food from here on out and eat however much you want/need from the custom food.

Don't you need to subtract some nutrients for the whey that you remove?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would just choose one of the USDA-based entries, depending on what kind of milk I started with and how much I strained (i.e., whether the resulting yogurt was the consistency of greek yogurt or "traditional" yogurt):

01256 Yogurt, Greek, plain, nonfat
    01287 Yogurt, Greek, plain, lowfat
    01293 Yogurt, Greek, plain, whole milk
    01116 Yogurt, plain, whole milk, 8 grams protein per 8 ounce
    01117 Yogurt, plain, low fat, 12 grams protein per 8 ounce
    01118 Yogurt, plain, skim milk, 13 grams protein per 8 ounce

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods?qlookup=yogurt&fgcd=Dairy+and+Egg+Products&manu=&SYNCHRONIZER_TOKEN=03672711-ab77-4075-837a-ed0b17503aca&SYNCHRONIZER_URI=/ndb/foods
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I use whole milk and drain it. I just use the Fage number. I figure it's close enough.

But it you don't drain the whey, I would think that any that matches the milkfat you use would work.